Hellcat5's Guide to Star Conflict

Hello!

I started playing star conflict back towards the end of april of 2017.  Since then I’ve spent 678 hours playing the game.  When I started out, I had a hard time finding solid resources for playing the game, and the information I read seemed mostly outdated or poorly written.  In fact, it wasn’t until I started playing the game that I actually understood what genre Star Conflict gameplay fits.  I wrote about that here:  Star Conflict - Moving up in Space Moba

After having read the old wiki “about” section for star conflict, I quickly ascertained that no one has been able to clearly explain the gameplay in terms of genre or relative games, so I wrote a new introduction paragraph on the wiki so that people can get a better idea of what Star Conflict core gameplay is like: Hellcat5’s revised wiki about section you can check the history of the wiki front page to see exactly what I did.

Other players have more hours than I have.  Some might think they’re more qualified to write guides about the game than I.  But, hours spent doing something doesn’t make one more qualified to teach others.  Having a higher pilot rating or more efficiency points doesn’t make someone more qualified.  Someone can take a destroyer with maxed out modules using g’thar’du into pve to make their pilot rating go up.  Same thing regarding efficiency points in battle.  Again, it’s easier to get high efficiency playing a maxed out, best in slot, destroyer than it is to play an interceptor or fighter (unless you’re playing the tai’kin or thar’ga).  That’s one of Rules: if you don’t know the exception to the rule, you don’t fully understand the rule.

I am the exception to the rule “a player must have x amount of hours in game and own all the rank 15 manufacturable ships (some players tell me they call them secret projects at one point) to fully understand the gameplay.”  Am I special?  No.  Other people with similar gaming experience as myself could see what I’ve discerned.  In fact, I’m less than special because I’m not an amazing flyer.  I have bad reflexes.  Does my lack of physical ability detract from my ability to completely understand and be able to convey to others how Star Conflict teamplay and gameplay works?  Does a general in the army have to be the best shot of all his men to lead them?  No.  And I’m certainly not a general, but you get the idea.

So what did I figure out?  Star Conflict is not an MMO RPG, yet many of the players have the MMO RPG mindset that they must have the top ship with top gear.  But, that just doesn’t work with Star Conflict.  Star Conflict is a space MOBA.  If you’ve played League of Legends, Dota 2, Heroes of the Storm, Overwatch, or other similar games, then you’ll understand what I talk about in this article: Star Conflict - connecting the dots for people who’ve played league of legends or other moba games  If you’ve never played any of these games, maybe you should so you can gain a foundation from which to better understand Star Conflict teamplay.

I’ve had guides thrust at me, which I’ve not read through yet due to wanting to create this guide without any cloudy muck from past guides, or poorly formulated ideas.  If you’re reading this and you’ve written a guide for Star Conflict in the past, I’m not saying your guide is bad.  I don’t know.  I’ve not read it yet.  I will say if you spend much time in your guide talking about story elements or explaining the concept for why a certain faction has a specific attribute, you’ve clouded the issue, written with too broad a scope.

If you think that Star Conflict is a third person space shooter (I think that’s how the wiki about section classified it before) you don’t have enough experience with the different genres of online games to clearly denote what genre Star Conflict’s core gameplay fits.  Confusing though it is, I will say that third person and first person shooters today seem to be incorporating more elements of RPG and MOBA, but they don’t have enough of these elements to take them fully into the RPG or MOBA genre.  Star Conflict is a space MOBA.

The lack of a well-defined statement of gameplay (at least in English) is core to these poorly formulated guides that might leave the new player going, “wtf did I just read?”  Without a clear statement of gameplay, this brings players to try to define Star Conflict gameplay based on their personal gaming experience.  And you have the players who try to put themselves into a position of knowing just by saying, “oh, you can’t understand because you’re not max rank, and you don’t have x amount of hours like I do, and you don’t have the customizable ships,” etc.  But, if you ask those players solid questions about the structure of gameplay, they can’t answer.  But, more often than not, will try to convince you that they answered your question and that no one has a better answer.  This creates a bigger gap to bridge toward establishing a well-defined statement of gameplay.

I’ve started three video series regarding Star Conflict.  The first covers a series of simple build and gameplay guides to successfully win playing the pve mission Defense Contract:

The Second covers daily contracts through which you can gain a variety of ship crafting resources:

The third covers gameplay tips:

Over the next few weeks, I plan to clarify the statement of gameplay through my guides, and I plan to continue to add new guides going forward.

when you get blown up, remember to scream.

The only thing you need to know, the best ships are ellydium ships, that’s all.

Star Conflict can be called many things, twitch based 3rd person shooter, arcade space game, team battle arena, *#@%!

since the lobby is “massive”, in a way it just about can be called MMO, and i think they only want to point out, that there are no continental servers, you have a “global” matchmaking system, much like other team battle arena games (warthunder, worldoftanks, mechwarrioronline), while e.g. overwatch depends on which battle.net you log in from.

but it’s definitely not a MOBA.

Neither is Overwatch btw.

I still commend you for your guide.

I’d partially say that what ever Star Conflict is, it rather has one of the game mode set up with a premise of MOBA (Creeps (Bots) / Base to destroy / Enemy team to overcome, but no in battle leveling and powerups) - Called Dreadnought Battle, but the game itself is definitely not a MOBA 

Spoiler

Hey guys!

Thank you for commenting with feedback!  Now, let’s get to it.

In these days of Trump, people seem more interested in being right themselves instead of asking others “why?”  They jump up and down declaiming how “this goes against everything I know, this can’t possibly be right or good - it’s too different.”  This resistance to inquiry sometimes goes into “How dare you compare my beloved game to a genre I can’t stand.”   So, I’ll start this out by saying this - from what you know, you’re 100% right that it’s not a MOBA.  But, you’ve not asked me why I call it a space MOBA.  What relations do I see between elements of MOBA gameplay and Star Conflict?  I’ll get to that, but I’ll start with a few differences between third person shooters and Star Conflict.

Third person shooters don’t require much about character build.  You don’t have to think about how you can supplement your resistances to different types of damage, you don’t have to think about the ratio for survival that occurs between damage reduction and damage pool.  Everybody gets x amount of hit points, life, health, whatever, and that’s that.  Unless the third person shooters pulls in gameplay elements from other genres.

With third person shooters, your character wasn’t designed for a specific role on a team.   You get no benefit from sticking together except cover fire from team mates, or another takes out someone targeting you.  You just grab your gun and go.  This is great for people who want to relieve stress from a long day at work, and who might not enjoy what they consider tediousness of other gameplay genres.  And, yes, some third person shooter games have team roles, but they’re not complex, and don’t require planning out a build for that role.  If this is the case, that a third person shooter has roles, this mechanic comes from team battle arena games.  Remember the rule of exception?  Team battle arenas took it from RPG games.  But my point isn’t to talk endlessly about my knowledge regarding the origin of different game mechanics.  Roles on a team did not originate as a third person shooter mechanic.

In third person shooter games, you might play on a team, but the teamplay doesn’t go beyond positioning tactics in the gameplay.   You might hide around corners, behind cover, you might see someone about to take down your team mate, but instead you take that player out, you might communicate to your team to call out location of an enemy player,  but you don’t have a tank (destroyer), a healer (engineer), characters that can slow or stun enemy characters(tackler and ecm), characters that disable enemy character’s abilities (ecm), etc.  This gets into teamplay mechanics that general third person shooter fans consider too complex.  Unless, of course, the person enjoys mobas and rpgs.  And yes, there are people who can’t stand RPGs and MOBAs - who only play shooters.  I call these people core shooter gamers.  I could talk about how third person shooters don’t give players gold to use later, or experience points, but enough about third person shooters.  Lets talk about the differences between Star Conflict and MOBA.

In MOBA games, you have creeps.   For those who don’t know, creeps are NPCs that walk or run in a line towards each other to go have a mini battle between themselves.  They don’t have tactics, they just beat on each other until they die.  If your strike kills the creep, you get gold - except in Heroes of the Storm.  Always an exception.  Star Conflict doesn’t have creeps.  All the ships you fight against in the different game modes have an AI, albeit a simple one.

In MOBA games, your character starts at level 1 every match.   Each level you gain grants you an increase in stats, and sometimes gives you the option to level character abilities.  Leveling is usually rather limited, and greatly effects team power during the match.  Star conflict has a limited permanent ship leveling system.  For the exception, I played a MOBA game years ago that had a permanent character leveling system, but unfortunately I don’t recall the name.

MOBA games have a base to defend.   The primary goal of MOBA gameplay is to destroy the enemy’s base, and one doesn’t have to be on the team with the most kills, or personally have the most kills to win.  Personal kill score (PKS) is a mentality that third or first person shooter gamers carry into team games that can actually cause the team to lose. Players who focus on their own kill score ignore the necessity of team power.  In Star Conflict, you don’t have to defend your base against the enemy player team.

MOBA games have a top down camera view.   But, some newers MOBA games incorporate a third person view, such as Smite.  It’s arguable that camera view defines a game genre.  I consider third person and first person shooters to be sub categories of shooter games.  For me, the defining elements fall with gameplay, and not camera view.  I think you get the idea, so now I’m going to get into similar elements Star Conflict has with both shooter games and MOBA games.

Star Conflict basic gameplay includes shooting at and destroying other players’ characters.  In some modes, this is primary focus, while in others it’s secondary.  This is similar to games like Quake, CS:GO, call of duty, etc.  The same similarity exists in MOBA games (shooting enemy players), except that in MOBA games basic attacks aren’t skill shots, they’re selected shots.  The basic attack in star conflict requires skill to hit the target like shooter games, unless you’re using one of the auto aim weapons or gravity weapons, which require much less skill.

So, why did I say “Star Conflict is a space MOBA” ?  If you’ve read my previous articles about space games I’ve been exploring while waiting for Star Citizen, you’d know that I defined space MOBA to cover these arena battle space games.  Sure, they don’t have all the elements that the standard MOBA does, but these games have many similar elements.  I’ll talk more specifically about why I classified Star Conflict as space MOBA now.

Star Conflict focuses on using roles in team play to win, similar to MOBA games.   In Star Conflict, we have the support classes, the tanks, the fighters, the crowd controllers, and disruptors just like in MOBA games.  Playing complementary roles using team play tactics has a much better chance of giving you a win in game instead of rushing off to find the closest enemy alone.  A fighter class tackler ship with an interceptor class ECM going after a tai’kin have a much higher chance to take down that pesky tai’kin Than a gunship running with a covert ops.

Star Conflict has a similar item system to MOBA games.   In MOBA games, you can customize your character’s items according to what you’re facing.  Star Conflict allows you to customize, but requires you to do so outside of the match, but gives you options in battle by allowing you to select from a set of different ship roles and customizations to fit the match instead of doing this in the match itself.  RPG games have a much broader range of items your character can equip.  And, typically RPG items don’t level up.

Star Conflict has a separate character level and player level.   Ships have their individual synergy level, and players have their rank.  Like League of Legends, as the player levels up, he gains access to more powerful mods to boost his ship with.  This is similar to leveling up in League of Legends because summoner level gives you access to more powerful runes and masteries.

So, after all this, there will be some who will say, “it’s still not a MOBA.”  And that’s all they’ll get from what I’ve written.  They want to be right, and that’s that.  Others will instead see my point, that Star Conflict has elements from MOBA games, and to attract more people to play, needs to be re-branded with emphasis on the team play mechanics, and so that the developers can create a better match making system from having a solid statement of game play.  Otherwise, no true meta game can ever manifest.  But, that’s another topic for another time.

MOBA is a very broad term, just like an RPG or MMO, and with some effort, you can try to identify almost any game into the desired category. In the same time MOBA is understood by the public in a certain setting.

A MOBA will usually have the following:

• Creeps: AI that you get “money” for killing

• Heroes: Playable characters that have something that makes them different from other Heroes

• Ancient: A “base” that each team has one of and the objective is to kill your opponents’

• Resources: Upgrades and consumables bought from the “money” earned from killing creeps

• Limited amount of Arenas: Games do not stress map knowledge, but instead resource usage

With that said, the term MOBA is a bit like saying MMO. The acronym is very general but has a specific connotation. Multiplayer Online Battle Arena could mean just about any online shooter, but it really doesn’t. They are games that involve high amounts of strategy and team work over “thumb skill.” There can be some deviation over where the strategy lies, like between DotA 2 and Monday Night Combat. DotA is all about resources, you have very little control over your Hero’s movement. You tell him/her where to go and what creeps to whack. You spend more time looking at your inventory, store, and cool downs. Monday Night Combat seems to be more about character movement with power ups being second. Bloodline Champions more of a third person shooter with a MOBA feel, but not truly a MOBA.

Games like Quake and TF2 (since you mentioned them) is all about “thumb skill” and map knowledge. The faster reaction times you have, knowledge of “rat lanes” (paths everyone takes), and the skill of knowing where people’s heads will be the better you would do at regular shooters.

Star Conflict hardly falls in any of those, and as I said earlier the only game mode that comes really close to a what understood by a “MOBA” is the Dreadnaught Battle game mode - the same map, destroy and cap bases, virtual lines, creeps, etc. But the game itself has a lot of different game modes, that have nothing to do with what MOBA is. 

Star Conflict was originally defined as “Tanks in Space”, and that used to be one of the closed definitions to what game really is. World Of Tanks, World of Warplanes, World of Warship, War Thunder, Dreadnoughts are all similar games in their basis and process, they share a lot of similarities in progression, development, gameplay - they all are their own ganra, which is really hard to call a MOBA in a classic sense, because if you try to sell any of those under MOBA you will have enormous amount of players misled on their expectations. On other hands, Fractured Space will satisfy generic MOBA properties checks.

Star conflict originated in a similar way as those games, but over time SC deviated into something of its own (for good or for worse is a different discussion, it is not the point). 

None of those games have PvP, PVE Coop, “Open” Space (SandBox mode), PvE Raids, Corporate Content (Dread Battle) and an actual “territory map”, yet it still shares the basics. (Again, this is not a discussion about how good or bad all this “unique” content is)

On 7/29/2017 at 5:32 PM, he11cat5 said:

So, after all this, there will be some who will say, “it’s still not a MOBA.”  And that’s all they’ll get from what I’ve written.  They want to be right, and that’s that.  Others will instead see my point, that Star Conflict has elements from MOBA games, and to attract more people to play, needs to be re-branded with emphasis on the team play mechanics, and so that the developers can create a better match making system from having a solid statement of game play.  Otherwise, no true meta game can ever manifest.  But, that’s another topic for another time.

So at the end, if you wanna argue on semantics and technical correctness, you can call MOBA pretty much anything, including Star Conflict, yet how it percived by individuals will differ.

added three new videos to gameplay tips series covering useful settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5ADMLAmo_U&index=1&list=PLA7erk0oNe2qv4lk3eIhqwuvNABU30neo

**[he11cat5](< base_url >/index.php?/profile/260084-he11cat5/ “Go to he11cat5’s profile”) **aske me to move this from the PM  back to the thread, so here it goes:

I have to say - I commend you on your willingness to share your knowledge. However - this advanced build video could use some improvement ![;)](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/002.png “;)”). You are making a mediocre ship from crazy agile frame - it doesn’t have enough survivability to justify use of armor plates or galvanized for example. You forgot to mention which mods you should get higher in quality ASAP and which can still be white without reducing the global effectiveness of the ship. Your lack of experience is shown even with the Anaconda-M build for the Defence Contract, but don’t worry - you will get there with time. 

One more thing - experience taught me something here - there are people here that spent months (sometimes years) in honing tactics, squad play etc. It is wise to use their experience, otherwise… you will have to spend similar amount of time just to get to their level in that single aspect. If you want to cover multiple aspects in your guides - I would consider contacting some of those people for help, otherwise your guides will lack detail or will even show basic errors (testing your builds in PvP? With a single ship? ).

Overall - not bad for a beginner. 

PS. I assume you watched video tutorials on Wiki already? They are pretty decent and were made not too long ago. Your advanced build video is a direct parallel to lesson 6.

PS2: It was pointed to me that wording used in this entry can be received as aggressive or even as an attack at the **[he11cat5](< base_url >/index.php?/profile/260084-he11cat5/ “Go to he11cat5’s profile”). **This is not my intention. Just pointing out some issues.

Hi niripas!

I appreciate that a game master wrote to me regarding my work for Star Conflict. I would love to see your spectre falcon build!  Can you take a few screenshots of the spectre falcon build you suggest, upload those to imgur.com, then give us the link?  ![:)](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/001j.png “:)”)  Can you tell me more about what having the blue text “game master” for Star Conflict means?

Thank you for mentioning adding mod leveling priority to my future videos!  Wow.  I’m watching the video here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbnljuR_kA8.  I think it’s interesting that I picked to use the spectre falcon before watching this video since it’s one of the first few ships shown!

I come from playing a game called “Path of Exile,” which includes a massive passive skill tree ( http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree ).  In Path of Exile, players can modify their abilities in many different ways, along with their gear.  I’ve also played MOBA games (obvious from other topics I’ve written about) which gives me a hand up over players who might begin Star Conflict without such experience.  Because of this, I believe I’ve picked up the core gameplay of Star Conflict quickly - I started playing on April 27th, 2017.  I have only 113 hours in battle.  Am I still a beginner?  Absolutely, and I might never get out of beginner status due to physical constraints.  But, I understand the mechanics of gameplay.

I’ve seen players tout their length of gameplay time, but that’s not going to attract new players.  Calling newer players “n**b” or “scrub” doesn’t coach, help, or encourage those players to advance their own gameplay either, and unfortunately I’ve seen that happen in game more than I’d like.  It seems to me the high rank players want to keep their secrets, and don’t make themselves available for discussion about ship builds.  Sure, I might get a few to respond to me if I ask, and I probably should ask so that I can bring this information into the light.

I want to point out too, that while you commented that the build I show in the video could use polishing, you don’t offer changes that would benefit the ship build more.  I understand you’ve got good intentions with your comment. ![:)](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/001j.png “:)”)  I think it would be helpful if, instead of taking the short route of, “it’s just bad.” or “it could use improvement,” to instead point out corrections to my thinking, or module suggestions that would benefit.  But, that takes time away from other things - from playing games, to working or spending time with family.

I hope to stimulate more in-depth conversation about teamplay mechanics and ship builds from players  like DeleteD, Alexorsk, or MIDGARD, but top players want to stay on top.  I think new players would enjoy seeing constructive comments or build guides from players in the top 20 (or even top 50) in both pvp (victories and effectiveness) and pve, but those aren’t available, or aren’t easy to find.  At least, not in English.  I’ve not checked other languages because I’m not qualified.

One thing I’m certain the top 50 players would agree on is that the Star Conflict community needs an education on teamplay mechanics, and for new players, it should be the focus from the first day.   I plan to layout what I understand about teamplay in a guide.  Then after having done so, perhaps these players and teams can comment instead of taking time to make or revise guides, and other players’ who have resources I don’t know about can provide links.

To attract new players, Star Conflict must be easily relatable, and not seem to have too massive of a learning curve.  MOBA players won’t find the learning curve unfamiliar, and they’ll also recognize many of the teamplay mechanics.  People who play Team Fortress 2 or Overwatch might also have interest if they can get past the complexity of ship building.  Whereas, as I’ve mentioned before, Star Conflict might not hold the interest of a hardcore Call of Duty type player, or someone looking for a simple space shooter game.

While I might never play at the level of the high ranking players, I understand teamplay and ship building enough to write out the foundation with enough detail that it could get the attention of those with higher ladder positions.  I guarantee that if someone comes to play Star Conflict who has a high elo in League of Legends or Dota 2, and who plays Overwatch or Team Fortress 2 well, that someone will give players who’ve been around a long time an unexpected challenge.  Those who come from those backgrounds and who have a following are those who can best represent Star Conflict to a broader audience.  Whereas the lack of broader gaming experience is where others who’ve played Star Conflict longer will fail, and I don’t see any players who have a following currently playing Star Conflict.  Check twitch, youtube, or plays.tv.

Now to explain to readers my thinking for taking resistance over speed or increased hull.  I came up with this from two ways - I thought about how the standard damage output from interceptor, fighter, guard, and destroyer dps would effect the extremely limited damage pool provided by the spectre falcon.  Since the base hull is 3756 at level 7, reinforced beams at  mark 4 only provides 1202 additional hull points, bringing the total to 4958.  Sure, going this route will add to the computed survivability score, but the spectre falcon still won’t survive long against a destroyer using gravitational lens, G’Thar’Du, and photon emitter, nor will computed survivability score matter much against homing weapons on the PVP battlefield such as those found on tai’kin or the gunship Thi’Lith Beam when considering teamplay tactics.

[I finally remembered to add this back in, hours after publishing - I did say I came up with it from two ways…]

I also did some testing in open space against hunters.  I found that I survived longer if I split rotation and strafing, and used resistance over speed or strength.  With one test, I took down five of the six hunters surrounding me.

Sure, move speed could help interceptor players survive.  More movement speed and more rotation speed, which doesn’t show in the calculated survivability score.  You can build around this, and you might do far better than I would because I lose control over interceptors with an extremely high rotation speed.  In the “Advanced Build Techniques” guide, I instead focus on thinking about what you plan to face, and how you might survive personally.  I mention in the video that I don’t have great aim, so I take scatter gun, as example.

I didn’t intend to imply that a top ranked player should use the build shown, although I play it successfully in SCL when not facing tai’kin.  With “Advanced Build Techniques,” I intend to show new players how to build around their own weaknesses.  For me, I’ve had two strokes, so I have to account for a few different factors from how my awareness, response time, and general movement has changed when compared to before my strokes.  I hope that my guides stimulate other players to share their builds, and explain their reasoning behind such.

I don’t focus on the calculated survival score, but actual survival in relation to taking damage.  Example:  the spectre falcon has 3756 hull at level 7.  Without resistance, a destroyer with coilgun can tear through that in under a second if they hit you, and you happen to be running around without shield, which is common on interceptors and gunships unless you have an alien ship or carry around a shield booster, or happen to have an engineer who can quickly repair shields at long distances.  Yes, that’s a run-on sentence, but I hope it carries the same sense of exasperation and running out of breath that you might have on the battlefield when facing what could feel like insurmountable odds.

If you have high reaction time, or you have a ship that can micro warp three times to escape death, disappear and microwarp when down to a set percent of remaining hull, then sure go for maximizing speed and rotation, as long as you can handle it.  Giving someone a jedi starship who doesn’t have the reactions of a jedi will only lead to self destruction, unless the jedi starship also comes with error correction.  I guess that’s why the collision guard exists for tai’kin?  If we remove that, I bet we’d see a lot more tai’kin deaths on the battlefield.

So far, I’ve not created guides explicitly for pvp.  I did notice yesterday that I had a 6980 pilot efficiency, mostly attained from my SCL play.  I wish Star Conflict allowed players to select different pvp modes, similar to how you can select the pve missions, because  I enjoy beacon capture pvp the most.  I don’t find myself checking my pilot rating often, and seeing my rating at 6980 compared to the five thousand something I had before getting involved in Leagues shocked me.

I would most definitely love it if people bring me guides, comments, etc. so that I can gather and organize all the good juicy details the community wants.  I would also love it if you want to challenge me with questions about teamplay such as “what would be the best way to handle xxx when xxx is happening?”  I hope you’ve enjoyed reading this as much as I’ve enjoyed writing it.

And when you die, remember to scream.

21 hours ago, niripas said:

One more thing - experience taught me something here - there are people here that spent months (sometimes years) in honing tactics, squad play etc. It is wise to use their experience, otherwise… you will have to spend similar amount of time just to get to their level in that single aspect. If you want to cover multiple aspects in your guides - I would consider contacting some of those people for help, otherwise your guides will lack detail or will even show basic errors (testing your builds in PvP? With a single ship? ).

So there is more to know than loading LRF with positrons and shoot everything? ![o_O](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/007.png “o_O”) 

hellcat: there were exceptional guides from GMs in the past, for example the rather epic [[GUARD] Blood Tormentor Guide](< base_url >/index.php?/topic/23852-guard-blood-tormentor-guide/) by [@Rakza](< base_url >/index.php?/profile/240741-rakza/).

The Blood Tormentor was one of a legend of a ship prior to destroyer times. Niri is a fair guy.I know him sharing and helping a lot. He might only not being the journalist type writing guides in forums (one could dispute endlessly if a forum might be the reasonable technology to host guides - in general!).

Plus: most players never show up here - be it incidentally or because of account merging problems (steam acc. vs gaijin acc.)

P.S. I do not like to use positrons ![:beee:](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/beee.gif “:beee:”) …

5 hours ago, he11cat5 said:

Sorry man, but this is way too many words for “just a discussion”, I don’t mind having that much text in guides, but it is discouraging to constructively reply to such walls of text in a regular discussion, especially if you incorporate hella of a lot of different topics in the same message ![:(](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/003j.png “:(”) since one would want to reply constructively without taking things out of context, but way too much effort.

The way I perceive fitting in this game

• Basic level, obviously is where you get familiar with what modules exist, what they do, and some core principles, like not using galvanized armor on 90% of interceptors, or how raw HP volume mean nothing with no resistances, or energy regeneration and stuff.

All of this is a common foundation for all the ship.

• Advanced, as you said, comes with extra through process and idea in mind, but that idea shall not only incorporate what combination of modules you chose, but it has to be based on frame limitations. Like in your build for Spectre Falcon, Scatter gun is simply a bad weapon on that frame, because of multiple reasons:

• Scatter gun is almost terrible in close fight (and your high speed will bring you into close combat all the time), plus as a recon, you will be right next on the beacon in enemy face all the time as well

• Scatter gun requires high base dmg to perform (Feds have higher crit chance due to their crit buff while moving fast)

• Scatter gun needs a lot of spread reduction for it to actually hitting the target with all projectiles

All of these together make a Scatter gun a very poor choice on Federation recons in a majority of cases, especially in PvP.

For advanced build knowing what type of gameplay and what components synergies with that gameplay is paramount, and that is a very different frame to frame.

Like, compare Lion vs Lion MK2 they are suited for completely different gameplay while both being tacklers in the same tier. Or Trex-MK2 vs InquisitorS

It is great that you have transferable skills from other projects, it gives you a great foundation and potential, but what I think [@niripas](< base_url >/index.php?/profile/244639-niripas/) tried to say is that, while we commend you on your effort and dedication, you have to keep in mind that you don’t have yet enough of a hands on experience for a truly advanced stuff. 

Here is an example of Spectre Falcon gameplay in 3 different game-modes:

Random PvP

Spoiler

Leagues

Spoiler

Dreadnought battles

Spoiler

Since these videos meta-game did change quite a bit though, but If i’d have to use Spectre Falcon, i’d use it in similar way

I’ve been thinking about the feedback I’ve received.  I’ll try to be concise today because I know I failed with that yesterday.  From feedback, you guys like my writing style, and the effort I’m willing to put forth.  And, I should contact players who’ve played longer when I want to write guides / write scripts for videos that cover areas I don’t have enough data for.  That’s the approach I’ll take moving forward.

20 hours ago, he11cat5 said:

I’ve been thinking about the feedback I’ve received.  I’ll try to be concise today because I know I failed with that yesterday.  From feedback, you guys like my writing style, and the effort I’m willing to put forth.  And, I should contact players who’ve played longer when I want to write guides / write scripts for videos that cover areas I don’t have enough data for.  That’s the approach I’ll take moving forward.

I like that answer!!!