Firing groups

It would probably take some time to implement, and considerable effort to learn, but I feel like this game (or at least certain ships in the game) could benefit from the ability to place single turrets of different types on the mounts across the ship.

Firing groups would be as follows:

Primary: left click

Secondary: right click

Tertiary: middle click

Missile: K

And of course players can re-map the firing buttons as they see fit.

Firing groups could be set for up to 3 different groups, and each turret on the ship could be assigned to any of the available firing groups.

For example, if you had an LRF with four beam turrets and two coil mortars, you could assign the beam turrets to group 1, the coil mortars to group 2, and all turrets to group 3. That way only beam turrets fire when you press primary fire, coils on secondary, and then they all fire on tertiary.

Of course you could mix and match them to your liking, to make the best use of the new system.

Like on an interceptor you could have one shrapnel cannon and one plasma gun, and have groups set for 1-plasma, 2-shrapnel, 3-both.

For initial implementation, all turret items that every player has would need to be multiplied by the amount of turrets that it’s corresponding ship has. For instance every “Plasma gun” would be split in to 2 items. Every “assault railgun” would be split in to 4 items. And every “beam cannon” would be split in to 4 items.

All stats for the items should stay the same, with the exception of overheating for single-barrel firing weapons like the Flux phaser or the coil mortar. Those types of weapons would maintain the same RoF, but would overheat up to 4 times as fast depending on the number of installed turrets.
All destroyer primary weapons would be unaffected by this entire change, as there are too many hardpoints.

Crafting weapons would require 1/2 or 1/4 the materials depending on the ship type, or just yield 2-4 times as many weapon items.

Weapons found in space would be dropped as single turrets. With the implementation of this system, not having an weapon in a hardpoint would simply leave it empty, instead of replacing it with the “base” gun of the ship. If a ship does not fit ANY weapons in any hardpoints, then it will be given the “base” weapons. This means that players will be able to go in to battle with as few as 1 turret equipped.

Firing radiuses would also need to be adjusted for frigates. Possibly widened or at least made within LoS of the physical turrets.

The range indicator would be a simple adaptation as well. You could either have multiple leads on the target, or you could simply have one lead that has numbers or colored ticks around it to indicate which firing groups are in range.

New weapons could be added to make use of this system that have an alternative use other than dealing damage. Maybe rare pirate or alien turrets could drop in open space, and pilots could craft unique turrets that project a shield using energy, or repair ships at very close range, or deploy small objects in space.

Some new single-turret items that could be added with the new system:

Name: Grapple Cannon

Type: Primary Weapon for fighters

Max turrets: 1

Damage: very low kinetic

RoF: very low

Range: medium-low

Projectile speed: high

Tooltip: Fires a short range grappling hook at the crosshairs. If it hits an object or enemy, they are pulled towards the user at 150m/s for 4 seconds or until LoS is broken.

Name: Flash Cannon

Type: Primary Weapon for interceptors

Damage: very high EM

RoF: medium-low

Range: 150m

Projectile speed: Instant

Tooltip: Releases a high-energy pulse that deals high damage at an incredibly low range.

Name: Nanoparticle launcher

Type: Primary Weapon for Engineers

Max turrets: 2

Damage: medium Thermal

RoF: 60rpm

Range: medium

Projectile speed: medium-high

Tooltip: Fires a cannister of nanoparticles that breaks open when it hits, releasing a cloud that repairs ally hulls for 2 seconds.

Name: Dimensional Force

Type: Primary Weapon

Damage: low kinetic

RoF: low

Range: 250m

Projectile speed: instant

Tooltip: Folds space in front of the ship, teleporting any enemy caught in the field towards the crosshairs by 3,000m.

Name: Orbital Deterrant

Type: Primary Weapon for frigates

Damage: high thermal

Range: 500m

Tooltip: Deploys a drone 500m in the direction of the crosshairs that emits a pulse that damages the nearest enemy to it within 750m.

Name: Pirate Blaster

Max turrets: 4

Damage: high thermal

RoF: medium-low

Tooltip: Fires bright pink plasma charges that scorch the target over time, dealing extra damage and reducing resistance to damage at the same time.

Name: Pirate Rocket Pod

Max turrets: 2

Damage: medium thermal

RoF: medium

Range: medium-high

Trigger radius: 50m

Blast radius: 150m

Tooltip: Fires unguided thermal rockets that deal damage in a small radius.

Name: Alien weapon

Damage: high EM

RoF: low

Range: medium-high

Projectile sleed: low

Tooltip: This alien emitter sends out globs of green plasma that slowly track your locked target over a considerable distance and explode on contact.

Name: Combat Flare Launcher

Type: Multipurpose Primary Weapon

Damage: low thermal

Projectile speed: medium to low (slows as it flies)

Tooltip: Launches large flares at the crosshairs that draw missiles to the target if hit, while burning them for 3 seconds.

Name: ‘Tent’ Shield Projector

Type: Multipurpose Primary Weapon

Damage: low EM

RoF: very low

Range: 750m

Tooltip: Launches an energy capsule that detonates on contact. Upon detonation, fixes a stationary pentagonal shield in space facing the direction it was fired. Shield has a radius of 250m and lasts for 20 seconds. If installed on a frigate, it can place up to 4 shields in space instead of just 1.

Weapon effects should depend on the installed amount of turrets aswell. A single gravi beam shouldnt have the full speed debuff.

Other than that, interesting idea. Though monoboat would probably still be the way to go…

4 minutes ago, Scar6 said:

Weapon effects should depend on the installed amount of turrets aswell. A single gravi beam shouldnt have the full speed debuff.

Exactly my idea too.

Other than that, interesting idea. Though monoboat would probably still be the way to go…

Monoboat? You mean all one type of turret?

I would use it as a more tactical option. Like use high velocity weapon for primary, and have AoE or specialty as a secondary just in case a specific scenario arises. This would be most useful in PvE I’d imagine.

Like 3 Ion emitters and one Flux phaser for a single shot to take down agile enemies.

Or 2 ions and 2 singu. I would use my 1 plasma 1 shrap build just for long/close combat

I like the idea, was planning to write about a carrier type ship where you only have drones as weapons, being able to do damage and heal allies… will probs get to it when im free.

9 hours ago, LYoshiiro said:

I like the idea,

Cool.

9 hours ago, LYoshiiro said:

was planning to write about a carrier type ship where you only have drones as weapons, being able to do damage and heal allies… will probs get to it when im free.

Cool but irrelevant. Here’s a link to a thing.

Since, it was outright rejected, guess I gotta stop any plans I have of coming up with one. Personally, I find micromanaging to fun and rewarding when done right, but I guess its not everyone’s cup of tea. Really like the concept you proposed, had a similar idea but more or less, the generic classification was still a drone-boat or carrier if you will… Though i was thinking more along the idea of carrier warships(those on the sea) after reading the mock up u made, where instead of carrying planes, it was more of a carrying a cyclic missile system while an aura drone support => sort of like LRF destroyers with beefer but slower primary weapons but the purpose is supporting your teammates from behind. (pretty much a LRF + Destro + Engi) <= might make a mock to be less drony more missile-ish…

Back to the topic: It would be really cool to have this level of customization.