I realize this thread is old but the issue described is still present.
I’ve always been a fanatic for PvP in every online game, shunning PvE. But Zeta and some other recent issues with the game (will make other topics about that later) have pushed me towards enjoying PvE more than PvP most of the time. That’s quite the achievement, but not a good one.
Zeta, or aspects of the ship, needs a massive nerf. Obviously it shouldn’t be nerfed into the ground, I don’t have any problem with it remaining the most powerful destroyer, and one of the most powerful ships overall. Currently it is simply OP though, as OP as no other ship has ever been during my time in this game (I understand that Tharga was even more OP upon release but that was before my time). Even ships that are or have been frequently complained about such as Wolfhound, Taikin or Stingray are nothing compared to Zeta.
No matter what type of PvP, the team with more endgame (all or most nodes unlocked) Zetas will win. Always. (And it doesn’t even require skill - there are plenty of pilots out there who get absolutely annihilated by every other player no matter what ship they are flying - until they get out their Zeta, and suddenly they are the king of the match.)
1) Plasma Burster. Range far too high. Damage too high (and that’s without the extra effects the weapon has). Has EM damage for synergy with Photon Emitter, which no other viable dessie weapon has (GTharDu and Halo are useless in pvp).
2) Crystaline Suppressor. It has received a small nerf recently (flight speed reduced by quite a lot). But it’s still too fast. You know that powerful long-range skill dessies have, called Photon Emitter? It’s so strong every dessie has it equipped, even if they don’t use EM weapons. Yeah, CS still flies at 3 times the speed while doing way more damage. You can evade a PE shot even with a bulky LRF, no chance of evading CS even with a nimble interceptor. Getting hit by PE hurts, getting hit by CS is a oneshot for most ships. Nerf that thing. Hard.
3) Mobility. Zeta is way too fast for a dessie. In addition to that, it has tele sphere. This combination allows it to pretty much ignore the only defensive weaknesses the dessie class has: getting locked down in place by Gravi Lens or similar, and things like plasma arc or stingray overdrive.
4) Regeneration/Resistances. Zeta has way too much of both. If you get any other dessie down to 50% HP, they remain heavily damaged for a long time. If you get a Zeta down to 50% HP, it teleports and flies away, then returns a few seconds later at full HP.
5) Swarm (in attack mode). Swarm is way too fast, way too mobile, deals far too much damage, the collision effect is OP. It’s hard to track as it doesn’t have an icon on the radar. “Killing” it isn’t even rewarding. Depending on how the dessie pilot uses that swarm (via spec module, or via Swarm Control), the dessie itself can either still shoot and move as usual while the swarm does its thing, or it heals up rapidly while the swarm does its thing. That’s simply too much.