Which ship to buy at Level 7?

Just started playing about a week ago.  Great game!  Can’t believe I’m just now discovering it.  I love that there’s so much to do.  PvP, PvE missions, Open World, Territory Battles, Raids, etc.  Variety is the word I’d use for this game.  A bunch of game modes.  Tons of truly different ships… that function is different ways… and perform different roles.  In a day & age where games seem so stale & restricted… Star Conflict gives me this broad game to enjoy in so many different ways.  Great job to everyone involved in making this game!

But with such a variety of ships, comes tough choices… “Which ship to buy first?”

Let me start by saying that I’m a casual gamer.  I’m 35… and work & married life don’t allow me to play every night.  And when I do play during the week, it’s generally an hour or two at the most.  Weekends may be longer.  Or I may be out of town all together… and not play at all.  And my wife will literally deliver our first born any day now.  So I’ll likely be playing very sparingly for a week or two.

Point being… I’m going to naturally level up slowly… while my friends level up faster.   Thus, purchasing a ship I enjoy… and not wasting money on it… is important to me.  Which is why I’m creating this thread.

So I’m currently Level 6.  Level 7 is important to me… because I can get in on raids & territory battles (or whatever they are called).  I’m finding battles tough because I’m Level 6… put into level 6 - 9 battles.  Naturally, I’m not very effective in these battles.  Of course, I will be looking to buy a Level 7 ship soon, but don’t know which one to buy.

I have enjoyed playing Engineer, Long Range (Empire), Command, & Recon.  And here’s what I think about each.

• I’m probably more naturally suited to Engineer… as I like to support players.  But I do want to do some killing.  I’m not sure if Engineers can really do any damage.  At level 7 going against level 9’s & level 8 destroyers… I won’t stand a chance.  Basically, it seems you have to hide back and support others.  Which is fine.  But I may want a little more action.
  • So I’ve been trying Long Range (Empire).  It’s nice that you get kills.  But you basically just set back and snipe… and that’s it.  The repetition can be monotonous.  Looking for a little more variety.
  • Wanting to be more involved in battles… I tried Command.  Command seemed great in the lower level battles (lvl 1 - 5).  But in these mid level battles (6 - 9), I can’t seem to do much damage and still get destroyed.  Mind you, I’m in a level 6 Command ship.  Will this change if I’m playing with a lvl 9 Command?  Issue with that though… it may be forever until I get level 9… cause I’m a casual player.  Looking to be able to be involved even at level 7.  Can level 7 Command ships be effective in a battle against level 8’s & 9’s.
  • Lastly, Recon seems to be more of a support role… similar to Engineers, but of course doing a different job.  I enjoyed zooming around the battle field, spotting enemies and escaping.  But again, you can’t really fight.  Or if you do, you have to be an excellent pilot.  I’m 35 and old… I’m not suited to all that fast action.  I can survive by being strategic.  But I can’t out maneuver in a dog fight.

So that’s my thoughts on these different classes.  As you can see, with each of these 4… there’s things I enjoy… and things I dislike.  And I know you can’t have it all.  That is one of the things I love about this game.  These classes each really are meant for different roles.

I just can’t find the roles that suits me best.  And while I’d love to try all.  Being a casual gamer… and with a baby due any day now… I simply won’t be able to.

With Level 7 ships costing 1.5 mil, I’m looking to make my first purchase count.

So please… try to influence me on what to buy.  That’s the point of this thread.  I know there’s not one correct class or ship to go with.  I could potentially enjoy all of them.  But I’d love to hear your experiences with one of these 4 classes.  Please try to influence me on which one to go with.  I’ll be looking to play a little of all the game modes: PvP, Open Space, Territory Battles, Raids… you name it.

Hi there, 1st of all grats on all the stuff that is going on with your family ![:D](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/006j.png “:D”)

1st I think you are confusing Federation and Empire factions ( Federation does not have commands and it does not have Long Range Frigates)

2d I totally agree that in your case you need a a smart plan for progressions.

Is there a way you can post a screen sot of your ship tree - it would be easier to advise a path for ship progression.

P.S. Territory battles requer 3x 7+ ships equipped simultaneously, otherwise you wont be allowed to enter the queue.

If you end up playing the game more and more in the end, you will have every ship one day anyway , any choice is good ![:D](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/006j.png “:D”)

Take the engineer.

5 hours ago, xKostyan said:

Hi there, 1st of all grats on all the stuff that is going on with your family ![:D](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/006j.png “:D”)

1st I think you are confusing Federation and Empire factions ( Federation does not have commands and it does not have Long Range Frigates)

2d I totally agree that in your case you need a a smart plan for progressions.

Is there a way you can post a screen sot of your ship tree - it would be easier to advise a path for ship progression.

P.S. Territory battles requer 3x 7+ ships equipped simultaneously, otherwise you wont be allowed to enter the queue.

Sorry, yeah… I totally meant Empire.  Will update the OP.

And thanks for the info on needing three 7+ ships.  Didn’t know that.  That certainly helps with the choice.  I’ll essentially look to take 3 out of the 4 choices I mentioned.

Thanks sir!!!

4 hours ago, theNoob said:

Take the engineer.

Yeah, leaning towards the Engineer.  But with the in xKostyan gave, I’ll need 3 ships anyway.  So I’ll look to take the Engineer first.  Then I’ll decide on the other 2.

Thanks again everyone for the advice & info!

it comes down how far you can progress in ranks, because each next rank requires a pilot to own certain amount of ships in total within a faction, so it may make more sense to buy all 1-4 ranked ships and progress vertically 7-8-9 1 of each, instead of buying into 3x r7s since you will out grow ships and you should be aiming for having r9/r9 line up for awhile

i would take engi, recon, command

engi first, because being a healer needs a lot of practice, but also rewards you by being extremely helpful in any gamemode. never fly without a hull healing aura. in emp, head for the styx once you go r9. Being in an Engi is really teaching a lot, just by witnessing others in their decisions ![:p](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/004.png “:p”)

recon because capturing beacons in games gives fast synergy so it progresses fast, and is a great exercise for ceptor survival (just dont focus too much on killing at start). note, in emp, you also have ecms, which are really good starting with black swarm at r9. As emp ceptors aren’t really known for their speed, they are yet again very good at supporting the main team, but of course other factions have a bit more ceptor variance.

command because you like support anyway, and all support classes get synergy through moving with the team, and the command is more defensive, giving you time to practice fighter movement, especially if the team is full of healers anyway.

not LRF because you will start to notice, there are mostly more than enough. I would honestly do that last of all roles, so even try the unmentioned ones, because i think knowing the differences in ships / classes / factions / roles makes a great LRF, who knows how to hurt the enemy, while a LRF without that experience kinda will just hurt your “skill” progression, since its cosy to sit far away from danger, but also doesnt teach you much, and mostly you will land top scores in lost battles only; It’s a bitter path for the stubborn.

Also, I would try to progress all factions in the lowest ranks, as those ships go up fast, and give you fleet strength once full synergy, making progression a lot easier (each one being a whole percent). Maybe even spending your free syn for that instead of ships you actually fly. They are also cheap, so its worth to invest some side money - even if you focus primarily on emp. Which I find wise, as focusing on a few roles more in depth is usually a good idea in any game, especially if you have less time, which you prolly know yourself.

I personally was more Fed player (fed engi, fed ceptors) at start, and I think the wisest strategy was to get all ships from all factions to r9, even if i had already r15 in fed. It boosted me through the higher ranks, they needed a lot less effort.

IMO it’s better to start with Gunships, Covert Ops because they rely mostly on guns and evading maneuvers. And Guards, because you learn when to go in and out. 

Engi/Command/recon are just easy mode aura

1 hour ago, Swifter43021 said:

Engi/Command/recon are just easy mode aura

Hardly. They are the hardest ships to fly properly, because not only do you have to think about yourself, but also about your allies. Teamplay is very lacking in SC and always has been.

Damage dealers like gunships/cov ops/LRF are easy mode just shoot everything and get out.

gunships to annoy ppl.
tackler to kill stting snipers, you will always help your team by doing so.
guard if you feel like your team needs to strengthen your frigball.

I guess that is the easiest combo setup.

I personally would go for the command. It is a usefull support for your team and you are still able to kill stuff rather effectively. And its a lot faster than imperial engineers. Also, commands have no “easy escape button” like gunships and tacklers do. That will help you to learn to plan your way out after an attack.