Which of these possible mechanics of Coil Mortar do you prefer the most?

Which of these possible mechanics of Coil Mortar do you prefer the most?

Current mechanics are fine, they just need to be fixed. Those guns block way too often, even when completely cooled. You fire straight and the guns just stop working.

Having the high damage per shot is good, especially in this game.  The biggest problem is the jams, when you know they’re just one hit from death and the gun locks up and doesn’t fire.  Since you might not realize it didn’t fire you overheat and wait nine seconds without a gun.

Also, can you give a better description of the choices?

Having the high damage per shot is good, especially in this game.  The biggest problem is the jams, when you know they’re just one hit from death and the gun locks up and doesn’t fire.  Since you might not realize it didn’t fire you overheat and wait nine seconds without a gun.

Also, can you give a better description of the choices?

Oh yea + 1 to what you said !

As someone else suggested, they could make all 4 gun fire, causing the blocking mechanic to go away since it will just fire 2 or 1 guns to its side and back. I think it is the best way to fix it without making them OP.

As someone else suggested, they could make all 4 gun fire, causing the blocking mechanic to go away since it will just fire 2 or 1 guns to its side and back. I think it is the best way to fix it without making them OP.

That would be me. Should solve the jamming and decrease the damage by firing at weird angles as well since only 2 guns can shoot at a side sometimes. Also that would mean to decrease the damage per pellet at 25% for guards and engis and ~18% for LRF where you would keep the firing speed. Or also decrease damage by 25% and bring the rate of fire in line with the other 2.

Though the spread should get decreased as well then, by 10-50% I’d say.

The way to balance it would be:

Same ROF

Each projectile does 25% of the damage it currently does, meaning LRF does 150% damage(Just like every other weapon)

Though the spread should get decreased as well then, by 10-50% I’d say.

Hmmm, not sure. Detail a bit?

I can see the mortar acting like a multi-pellet flak in that case, but the reduced damage should compensate? Or is it to actually have dead-on hits? It’s accuracy vs damage here.

Hmmm, not sure. Detail a bit?

I can see the mortar acting like a multi-pellet flak in that case, but the reduced damage should compensate? Or is it to actually have dead-on hits? It’s accuracy vs damage here.

Logged in just to look at its stats. 

1.5 spread is quite a lot, seeing how it fires slowly, moves slowly, long CD.

And with 4 (relatively) slow moving projectiles I believe it should have less spread so you can hit easier.

Mortars “jamming” is seriously annoying. No other weapon jams, so why should the coil mortar?

Mortars “jamming” is seriously annoying. No other weapon jams, so why should the coil mortar?

I second that motion.

Logged in just to look at its stats. 

1.5 spread is quite a lot, seeing how it fires slowly, moves slowly, long CD.

And with 4 (relatively) slow moving projectiles I believe it should have less spread so you can hit easier.

I’ve got 1.7 spread, but no spread reduction other than Jericho R2 implant.  I’m comfortable enough with it to not try to get more.  If it gets four projectiles and focus targeting like positron cannons, then spread shouldn’t be too much of an issue since a lot of the time you’re firing at something before target lock or it’s moving too fast.  Maybe all four rounds in rapid succession also instead of all at once?

A HA! I read through the thread and just now realized why did i die last time using the mortar. So it tries to shoot cycling through the barrels and if the barrel cant shoot in the direction its xxxx time. Thank you guys, now i understand. Yeah, the solution would be all barrels firing, 1/4 damage per projectile, same explosion radius. Ideal case would make same damage, but shooting in an awkward angle wouldnt kill you.

A HA! I read through the thread and just now realized why did i die last time using the mortar. So it tries to shoot cycling through the barrels and if the barrel cant shoot in the direction its xxxx time.

Oh, no. It’s far worse than you think. Sometimes, you’re firing dead front of your ship and the guns just stop firing. You’re not even close to overheat, either. The guns. Just. Stop. Firing.