Where is our open world ?!

Hi people,

Month now that FrogSwarm is on this game, the time pass and all promesses are like an infinite dream and will never happens. Where is our open world ? Epic corporation battle ? Alliances ? Power blocs ? Territory conquest ? big fleet battle ? And space discovery ?

To be honest, the sector conquest is real ******* and I moderate myself with *, actualy, we don’t use it at all because of poor design THIS IS NOT corporation battles, it’s just random. This game had potential before turning into a WoT like, we moved in to find an EvE Online style more dynamic. At the end, it’s not an MMORPG but a MOBA exactly like world of tanks. We are disapointed and people already started to stop playing.

To the dev, if you go over a wot like economy, you’ll loose a lot of player and your game will die when star citizen will come out. Be smart and try to see more than 1 year game bénéfits. Players who actualy play space ships wants more than just 16 vs 16 random player ducking in the face. They wants:

• Fly over the infinite space all together searching for targets / discovering new systems

• Have the ability to fight corporation vs corporation with unlimited squad space

• Have the ability to create alliance between corporations

• Have the ability to conquere space systems for having rare goods

• See their name behind a system name conquered on a space map

• Have the ability to sold theire unused ships

• Have the abitity to exchange their rare modules in double / sold it for a good price on the market for players

etc…

Thurst me, I have big experience in space game. You can obviously do whatever you wants, but I can predict the game end date pretty easy in this direction.

go play eve then?

You know, to create a massive instanced game, you cannot create it as twitch based shooter right? I mean, it should be clear, that MMOs have their gameplay like they have, because there are limits of how much data you can transfer how fast?

MMOs are basicly a network technique, where the server answers you after you give a command if it worked out. Usually like your Webbrowser, using TCP. Like Eve Online. Thats why Eve has a different gameplay, but allows thousands to roam around. Thats why you pay per month because those servers are expensive.

FPS like games dont work that way - probably never will. Thats why its a Lobby based game, and it will never work differently, than offering instances, even if you can move between them.

Strictly speaking also mmos work with instances of course, but usually locationwise instead of gameplaywise.

Play the game as it is, its fun. Otherwise, there are upcoming titles who try to bridge inbetween (probably heard of it if you are a space sim fan) next year, and there are the classical other games to chose from. However, they will also somehow hide the fact in the gameplay, that FPS / Action Gameplay needs instancing.

How many twitch based lag free good graphics space shooter games with battles around 60 players do you know?

Also, they do move in an MMO direction, offering automatic game finding, and a global map where we can fight. I am sure, they will expand on that idea. But it will never be first person eve. There are simply limits to the illusion of real time games we cannot yet break - probably some of them we never will.

(Note: With we, I meant developers, since I work in similar areas, not that i am affiliated with SC.)

hay man there is no open world and it has been like that for ages now at least 3 months that i know of

[http://forum.star-conflict.com/index.php?/topic/19572-open-exploration-world/?p=199047](< base_url >/index.php?/topic/19572-open-exploration-world/?p=199047)

go play eve then?

You know, to create a massive instanced game, you cannot create it as twitch based shooter right? I mean, it should be clear, that MMOs have their gameplay like they have, because there are limits of how much data you can transfer how fast?

MMOs are basicly a network technique, where the server answers you after you give a command if it worked out. Usually like your Webbrowser, using TCP. Like Eve Online. Thats why Eve has a different gameplay, but allows thousands to roam around. Thats why you pay per month because those servers are expensive.

FPS like games dont work that way - probably never will. Thats why its a Lobby based game, and it will never work differently, than offering instances, even if you can move between them.

Strictly speaking also mmos work with instances of course, but usually locationwise instead of gameplaywise.

Play the game as it is, its fun. Otherwise, there are upcoming titles who try to bridge inbetween (probably heard of it if you are a space sim fan) next year, and there are the classical other games to chose from. However, they will also somehow hide the fact in the gameplay, that FPS / Action Gameplay needs instancing.

How many twitch based lag free good graphics space shooter games with battles around 60 players do you know?

Also, they do move in an MMO direction, offering automatic game finding, and a global map where we can fight. I am sure, they will expand on that idea. But it will never be first person eve. There are simply limits to the illusion of real time games we cannot yet break - probably some of them we never will.

Budy, I was a null sec alliance leader from 2006 to 2011 in EvE, then thanks to you but I know what I’m talking about. Also I’m working as an Senior Unix & Network IT Director, then I’m sorry but with my background I cannot be agree with what you written. Open world or Battle arena is quiet the same when you are using distribued resources. Do you think EvE servers are better than world of tanks ? Obviously wrong. All is about developpement + technologies used that’s it. Also, you need to understand why so much games are going to free to play (with golds) it’s because it’s more lucrative to go in free play counting on the people who are using credit cards thrust me. Free to play games have much more money than you can imagine. Let’s talk about World of tanks, they ammounced 217.9M€ of benefit for 2012.Guess what… It’ s a free to play !

You like the game like this, good for you, now try to understand others people who wants something bigger. Something greater than what it is right now.

you might be some director, but i work on the code, and have done network engines for years now, so I know I am right, I just broke it down to someone, who might not know what I am talking about.

I have worked with all three major game network mechanics, being state machines for rts, being predicted timeshifting udp for fps and hybrid mmo techniques in all kind of areas since ultima online.

Believe me, I dont care, if you *agree*, the fact is, there are some limitations on which model you use - and how much the client knows - and how you trick the player into believing it is real time.

If you are a director, take it from your local geek and believe me, I DO know what I am talking about.

Obviously, what you thought was I meant, FPS dont need so strong servers - however I meant eve in particular, because actually, I know EvE’s network engine also pretty well, since they document pretty everything. And they do need servers, since cpython is a **** when it comes to cpus, and their headless python is a cpython thing - added some details to underscore my knowledge, nuff geektalk. The sentence there just underlines the need for subscriptions, especially in an open economic world. You are however right, it is not completely true, but do I really want to go into detail there?

Now, where it comes to F2P being financially lucrative, I have to agree tho, but if you search my posts, you will find, I already said that couple of times.

Also I do understand people “who want something bigger”. They are usually my bosses or my clients. Or my own whishes. But since I do stuff in that area, I also know the limits pretty well. Its sometimes sad to see how little cpu power and ram and everything helps, if it comes to network games and how to make it ping - and secure. You can see how fast problems arise if you speed up things just to support more players, like the security leaks of Arma type shooter games.

There is a good project for “something bigger”, which was on kickstarter, the initials are quite similar, direct your attention there. They want an open world, and also support microcommunities. However, you have to understand, there are limits to every decision in a game development.

I do have to add, that I did not want to sound “talking down”, and I am sorry, if it got over the line like that. Since you are in IT, you probably know people who are like me, and for sure you know, we coders are not always right, are we. I must have hit a nerve for you to pack out personal stuff, so truly, I’m sorry.

My point is, i wanted to tell, that there is a programmatical/software limit to such solutions, because actually, I got so good with network programming, *because* I didnt accept it and wanted to break the barriers, so on a personal level, believe me, I do understand! Also, since you are in IT, your knowledge about hardware and how to solve resource problems might be way over mine, because I did not work long in that field.

My personal experience after eve however is, that sometimes its better if the game is about the action, and the rest happens outside of it, so as a player, I am pretty disillusioned about “open space games”

I also already wrote months ago - and repeat it over and over - that in ways of marketing (also not my strongsuit, but a lot of programming gets done in those sectors) and publicity, I never liked it, that the game states its an MMO.

Simply out of the fact, that economical unified sandbox games - which were the first p4f games, usually just to get investor-money back - actually put play4free models pretty much into the dirt in public opinion, since without subscription, or fair fees, a sandbox game always gets inbalanced; even if you create your own little minecraft economy or ultima online shard you will run into these problems, if its actually a free (private) game, and you start to e.g. give out goodies for donations. You can only sell graphical or prestige stuff, never “items” to players, without it becoming pay2win.

However, if you would think about your big ideas, and put them into perspective of the “group pvp” gameplay this game already has, maybe you could come up with good suggestions, how to make the illusion of an open space game more part of this one, who knows? :slight_smile:

My point is, all is about decisions and not about the techno.

You’re right you pissed me off a bit but it’s not you in particular, it’s more like everytimes you put a smart thread asking for something, there is always someone to answer in the opposite way even if it’s not helping himself. And yes It was sounds like “taking down” the goal of this thread. I apologize if I was a bit agressif on this, but I’m really disapointed with this dev direction since I moved my community in here (400 players, 100 to SC atm) waiting for this to become an openworld like they said in dev blog they wanted to go. Another moba pretending to be an mmo… One too much…

They have money, they make money, the dev HQ (Gaijin) have money. All is about made the decision to make less money, make the game better and invest in technologies / dev. Star*Gen is a compagny who want to make money, that’s fine, but sometimes they also should know when commercial strategies should look more than 1 year game when the potential is here.

Star Conflict could be the 2014 aweome space game. But not in this way.

you might be some director, but i work on the code, and have done network engines for years now, so I know I am right, I just broke it down to someone, who might not know what I am talking about.

Planetside 2.

Planetside 2.

I dont play such stuff. Dont make my salary on the gaming business. Go fish.

After re-reading the whishes you posted, I do realize, it came over a bit harsh, since I only focused on the open space thingie. Which probably would be fun, but it wouldnt work with more than a certain number of players in a gamefield, except you maybe create some hybrid protocol which disables all the physics stuff and lets you interact with another player only to force - or invite him into a battle-instance. Basicly, what RSI tries to develop now with their title. SpaceSims in computers are limited by the resolution you use for your coordinates.  In NFS Online they do have a massive roamable lobby in their own fps protocol, but its limits are of course sometimes laggy cars, ghosting, and only client side simulated physics.

I do however like your demands of something deeper in controlled areas, some kind of strategic metagame perhaps, or the ability to make full battles between corps.

After I realized the following points to open space do really concern the metagame which already exists in this game, and to most I really do agree, I whished you would have mentioned open space only in the end.

g4borg , i am a CTO but I also code too. I develop Distributed system for our Digital Forensic Platform. We distribute processing of machine learning operations across our own private cloud system build using Multiple Mini-ITX like Rasberry Pi. 

We see alot of potential to use our system for MMO games. I admit that i never program a game before  , just 3D Simulations using Three.js to visualize Data. But from my long experience of Network Developer (Peer to Peer IP Camera Firmware, for LinkSYS) It is very possible to do it.

But then , i remember a game  , Massive - Semi-Openworld , game Called Space Cowboy (now it is still very strong MMO called Ace Online) , it have about same level of  Twiched based Action as This game but Battles are gigantic , wars are Nations vs Nation , more than 1000 vs 1000 Air Combat at Mother-ship battles. So yes , it is possible to do what Silmerias is asking . It was 2006 technology and it was doing a lot better than Planetside. i believe it is now more possible to do now  with new technologies (using ZeroMQ + Gevent in Cython )

There are no plans for open world. The Devs have never even hinted there would be. It has never been brought up other than to reply to someone asking about it, to which the reply was “There are no plans for open world”

You all have a good night.

There are no plans for open world. The Devs have never even hinted there would be. It has never been brought up other than to reply to someone asking about it, to which the reply was “There are no plans for open world”

You all have a good night.

The devs would be wise to listen to the playerbase and at least come up with something creative that is “halfway there”. Players need to be offered something that makes them come back in the future as right now we are quickly exhausting the available game modes.

A full blown open world is unrealistic as the game wasn’t designed like that - but it could easily have some persistent elements brought into the fold. It needs something to set it apart from other lobby-based games, besides just the space ships. With games such as Elite: Dangerous, Star Citizen, Limit Theory, X: Rebirth and more around the corner - it is unwise to be complacent. Even though some of these are not direct competitors, they do overlap with the interests of the majority of the playerbase and will thus reduce the interest and activity in Star Conflict.

TL;DR: Do something interesting. Surprise us.

The devs would be wise to listen to the playerbase and at least come up with something creative that is “halfway there”. 

bcoz i like quoting things i agree with

the closest thing to open world is the Corporation battles and the introduction of dreadnaughts

g4borg , i am a CTO but I also code too. I develop Distributed system for our Digital Forensic Platform. We distribute processing of machine learning operations across our own private cloud system build using Rasberry Pi. 

We see alot of potential to use our system for MMO games. I admit that i never program a game before  , just 3D Simulations using Three.js to visualize Data. But from my long experience of Network Developer (Peer to Peer IP Camera Firmware, for LinkSYS) It is very possible to do it.

But then , i remember a game  , Massive - Semi-Openworld , game Called Space Cowboy (now it is still very strong MMO called Ace Online) , it have about same level of  Twiched based Action as This game but Battles are gigantic , wars are Nations vs Nation , more than 1000 vs 1000 Air Combat at Mother-ship battles. So yes , it is possible to do what Silmerias is asking . It was 2006 technology and it was doing a lot better than Planetside. i believe it is now more possible to do now  with new technologies (using ZeroMQ + Gevent in Cython )

ØMQ is a nice tech, and for certain you could speed up the server side of the dilemma quite a bit. This tech is indeed good news for MMO engines.

But the type of engine (updated state machine) you use for FPS games does not have its bottleneck directly on the server. There are myriads of phenomena you encounter on different levels - I do however agree, todays tech can do better.

However, SC supports not only FPS physics over the globe, it also supports re-joining the instance (well except you say “No”, then unfortunately, the game does not let you join back anymore), so some kind of state sync is already implemented, and the game seems to be simulated on a server cluster. This is already pretty high tech standard - I am sure, the step to events and smarter network protocols helps a lot to keep bigger gamestates functional server side, especially keeping a lot of logic in a single node, but there are other concerns in a finalized game, too, having to do with how algorithms work in a physics engine (some of them tend to grow exponentially).

As I said, one possibility would be to create a hybrid approach to the protocol, and two layers of position, one in the mmo world, the other in the “battle instance”. But I am not sure if it is clear, that a “Realtime physics simulation”, which at the same time is integrating changes from all participants, does not primarily have its bottlenecks in “how fast the server can handle the network” only. It’s after all not a single simulation you poke (like MMOs), it’s an integration of multiple simulations.

You can already see temporal aliasing if people warp, so there are limits to any solution and simulation, you have to “retouche” with ingame limits (like total speed :))

Ace Online does not really have the same kind of networked physics like this game has. It seems more like a fast paced MMO style protocol with some precognition, also the projectiles do not seem to be simulated in the physics.

I agree with JPhack and EvilTactician.

Hi people,

Month now that FrogSwarm is on this game, the time pass and all promesses are like an infinite dream and will never happens. Where is our open world ? Epic corporation battle ? Alliances ? Power blocs ? Territory conquest ? big fleet battle ? And space discovery ?

To be honest, the sector conquest is real ******* and I moderate myself with *, actualy, we don’t use it at all because of poor design THIS IS NOT corporation battles, it’s just random. This game had potential before turning into a WoT like, we moved in to find an EvE Online style more dynamic. At the end, it’s not an MMORPG but a MOBA exactly like world of tanks. We are disapointed and people already started to stop playing.

To the dev, if you go over a wot like economy, you’ll loose a lot of player and your game will die when star citizen will come out. Be smart and try to see more than 1 year game bénéfits. Players who actualy play space ships wants more than just 16 vs 16 random player ducking in the face. They wants:

• Fly over the infinite space all together searching for targets / discovering new systems

• Have the ability to fight corporation vs corporation with unlimited squad space

• Have the ability to create alliance between corporations

• Have the ability to conquere space systems for having rare goods

• See their name behind a system name conquered on a space map

• Have the ability to sold theire unused ships

• Have the abitity to exchange their rare modules in double / sold it for a good price on the market for players

I think many of the issues you have with this game have less to do with technology than you just wish the game had certain things. The ability to sell unused ships and a marketplace for selling/exchanging rare modules seem like items on a wish list rather than funamental problems with the game.

As for the rest, I think you are forgetting some fundamental problems with creating a persistent open user/battlespace in an area potentially the size of the galaxy. Your knowledge of IT systems and networking doesn’t qualify you to know anything about game design any more than my years as a web designer qualify me to critique game development and the reasons for certain developer choices. I can tell you though that I often had to make important choices about web design based on server interaction, particularly for databases and server-side functions (especially when implementing secure solutions).

So, from an equal footing then and with an open mind, please consider this:

Even allowing for a reduction to several hundred star systems, it would be virtually impossible to have a persistent world the way you seem to be describing your wishes. There are two MAIN considerations for any game - server overhead and client overhead. Every game in existence with an open world has effectively sandboxed it into portions that are only hundreds of metres or a few kilometres across.

The vast majority of them are two dimensional with a very limited 3rd dimension. The 3rd dimension effectively forms the side walls of the sandbox. But more importantly there are only a few dozen sandboxes in ANY persistent game. Add a true 3rd dimension and that sandbox turns into a cube. Instead of 10 X 10 X 1, now we have a sandbox that is 10 X 10 X 10, or 90% larger.  That is a hit on server performance, but a HUGE hit on client-side performance and computer requirements.

Inside each sandbox the game engine draws according to map resolutions from a metre to dozens of metres. One of the reasons for relatively few textures inside a sandbox is that game overhead is reduced. The server tells the client to stick object ‘T’, a tree, at A3B2, and the client dutifully puts a tree there. You might think that rendering mostly empty space is easy since there are very few textures to render, but in fact the opposite is true because the unpredictable objects inside the sandbox (the players) can be anywhere at any time and must constantly be redrawn in relation to the others. Doing this in three dimensions is computationally intensive for both server and client because even empty hexes must be drawn or scaling is destroyed.

Furthermore, another space game, Freespace2 (which I played for quite a long time) had, with more primitive technology, both mission-based and squad-based instances (which was heavily clan-oriented) and was quite successful at doing both. But it was still heavily restricted in terms of the area that could be flown in. Missions with dozens of enemy fighters, cruisers, and battleships had severely circumscribed borders. It was possible to fly a long distance away from the action but that effectively meant nothing in terms of the overall game because only the distance metre counted up and the player became trapped in a micro-instance where if it took ten minutes to travel somewhere it would take ten minutes to travel back, but neither the server or the client was drawing anything new on the computer screen.

Star Conflict has a player limit to reduce the overhead of calculating where the unpredictable players are, considering speed, orientation, player inputs (turning, spinning, afterburners, when and what type of weapon is fired). The limited number of scenarios reduces both server and client overhead and fairly inexpensive computers can be told where everyone else is, although even with the limitations lag in plotting other player locations or even blipping (where they might disappear altogether for a second) is not uncommon.

Games with high overhead:

Planetside2

World of Warcraft

RIFT

Star Wars - TOR

Dungeons and Dragons (even heavily, heavily sandboxed - this game also cheats by instancing the same setting, so my character can be in instance A, and my wife can be in the exact same location with her character in instance B on the same server.)

Games with Low overhead:

World of Tanks

Star Conflict

Team Fortress2

Borderlands

You will notice that there is a trend in games with high overhead and low overhead, and I am only listing the games I’ve played in the last year. The larger the open space to run around in, the higher the overhead. I can’t even run battlegrounds in WoW or Rift any more because the overhead is too high for my current computer. Too many players in even a small space is too much for the old girl to handle and software patches have gradually made it impossible to play them.  Luckily I have a new computer on the way…

What you want is both a persistent world for exploration, plunder, and battle and a finely tuned world capable of up close encounters, and you want to do it in three dimensions. I don’t think such a game exists, and if it did, there aren’t very many people in the world with computers powerful enough to play the game.

The other thing you want seems to be corporation domination of space, when star conflict is based on three competing societies/factions. World of Tanks (which I played a lot until recently) has two factions - red and green. But it also has a separate game called Clan Wars where, you guessed it, Clans battle for territory on a risk-style map of the world. The rewards of winning in these clan wars can be carried in a players account, so a special piece of equipment or gold can be used in the pub matches as well.

Even though I am planning to apply to a corporation, I wholeheartedly reject turning the game into a corporation-run festival. Clans, corporations, guilds…whatever you call them, they all turn into virtual mafias where attempting to play solo is impossible and not at all friendly to new players. In many games if you’re not in a clan or guild by the time you are out of Ace protection (implemented I think to give new players a chance to like the game before getting punked by someone so impossibly more powerful there is no hope of success) you will join shortly after you lose that protection.

There may be a way to have them coexist side-by-side with open play of non-corporation players, but I can’t think of one where corporation activities aren’t severely limited so they don’t turn into petty pirates.

Underlying all of this is the investment required to get a playable game onto the market without going bankrupt. I’ve seen other comments on this game being in BETA. There will be no functional difference OOB versus now. There might be a few more toys or tweaks, but effectively the game will be run around the update frequency from here on out. This game is here to make money, and there will be a few missteps along the way, but it’s really disingenuous to say people will stop playing because you aren’t getting the free to play game you want.  It’s very nature, F2P, means new people will constantly be trying it out.

Planetside is F2P but with a heavy monetary component. It also invested a couple of years of time into developing the core game (reinventing the original) before releasing it. The original Planetside had tens of thousands of hard core players who were all waiting for the re-release and are happily spending money on a proven franchise.

Games like this one have to go slower. Should there be more of a corporation element? YES. Trust me, they are working on it. I think that is really your biggest beef with the game, and one that is probably the equivalent of developing another game on top of the current game.

I can’t cover everything here, and have tried to talk about several things and I hope it didn’t seem too convoluted.

Do you mean open worlds are going in endless space wasting hours of the game to fly to a sector and capture it?  :008j:

Okay, look, a massive map for every player to play on all at once is not going to work, judging by the opinions and knowledge of those given above.

So, instead of making it one massive map, why not just make it one large map, divided into smaller sectors? Like sector conquest does? Each server hosting a sector each. It’s a very vague idea, but one that could work.

Okay, look, a massive map for every player to play on all at once is not going to work, judging by the opinions and knowledge of those given above.

So, instead of making it one massive map, why not just make it one large map, divided into smaller sectors? Like sector conquest does? Each server hosting a sector each. It’s a very vague idea, but one that could work.

EvE pretty much does this, already. They split Constellations into separate servers and, if there’s too much traffic going around, they bypass 1-3 more servers onto that lone Constellation (ie, Jita, Amarr). Time Dilation only came to help the game and lay off server stress during large battles CCP didn’t have time to prepare for (such as small confrontations that quickly escalate into Supercap warfare).

Having an open world in this game… Idk… EvE doesn’t have free flight and that helps tremendously in keeping the server load to a minimum because you don’t have to account for ship trajectories. Here… It won’t work. The servers will be under immense stress all the time when 2 ships decide to duke it out, let alone a thousand in the same area. SC just isn’t made for open world, it’s best to be left as a MOBA.

When Dreadnoughts come out, however… Things might be a LOT more interesting if they were open world… We’d see Corporations aiding eachother in taking down enemy Corp territory… We’d see group roams all across space… The advantage to it vs EvE is free flight. You’d attract a LOT of New Eden’s inhabitants if you manage to create a stable, free flight open world game.

If you want an open world free-flight space MMO, check out Vendetta Online.