Whats the difference between Empire versions of a ship vs Fed or Jericho versions?

Each of the ship types have two nations that can fly them but whats difference does it make depending on which nation you choose? I know that Empire seem to have better hulls, Jericho have good sheilds, and Feds are fast, but is this consistent through all the ships? Are there any other differences? 

And how do these differences change playstyle? Does a better shield mean you are better at 1v1 attacks because you can sustain a fair amount of damage and heal back a lot of it? How does better speed help? How do you select modules knowing you have a good hull strength?

Its consistent.

It changes the playstyle.

Also it means that the 3 races have different slot layout for your ships. Since Federation ships are faster, they tend to have more engine slots than Empire and Jericho for example, Empire ships usually have more hull slots, Jericho usually have more shield slots, which add another layer of things to think about when creating your builds (especially in higher tiers 3 to 5)

Also it means that the 3 races have different slot layout for your ships. Since Federation ships are faster, they tend to have more engine slots than Empire and Jericho for example, Empire ships usually have more hull slots, Jericho usually have more shield slots, which add another layer of things to think about when creating your builds (especially in higher tiers 3 to 5)

Ok, thanks! That would seem intuitive.  

How does having more hull vs more shield make you play differently though for like say a empire command ship vs a jericho one?

Empire ships being slower. You will be relying more on survivability and DPS.

Jerico ships are a deal faster. Normally you would rely more on in game maneuvering to get that higher virtual survivability.

To get a better idea of builds. Level each ship role you can in T1/2. So spend enough time in a ship of each role type to max level a ship of that type.

This will save you from the rage quite after you’ve been playing for a few weeks and hit T3.

Empire ships being slower. You will be relying more on survivability and DPS.

Jerico ships are a deal faster. Normally you would rely more on in game maneuvering to get that higher virtual survivability.

To get a better idea of builds. Level each ship role you can in T1/2. So spend enough time in a ship of each role type to max level a ship of that type.

This will save you from the rage quite after you’ve been playing for a few weeks and hit T3.

Ok, thanks for the example. So far I have maxed all of my tier Is except one and am just starting to branch out to all the rank 4 ships in tier II and have played enough to try all of the tier II weapons systems and most of the modules. Seeing I had two options for each of the ship types brought about this question. 

Empire gunships are durable, slow but make powerfull punch.

Fed gunships are big fat interceptors.

Empire commands can tank with hull

Jerry commands diff shield is barely breakable

Fed tacklers are great pursuers

Jerry tacklers are slower, but great at range combat

Empire LRF use disintegrator

Jerry LRF use guided torp

Empire Engi are immobile repair bricks

Fed Engi are like ambulance

Jerry Guard is great for sitting and defending one spot

Fed Guard is great for pushing front.

Empire recons are kinda slow and tanky

Fed recons are lighting fast

Fed CovOps are fast and agile

Jerry CovOps are more durable

Jerry ECM is agile and more for supporting

Empire ECM is durable and more for attacking

How does having more hull vs more shield make you play differently though for like say a empire command ship vs a jericho one?

In T3+ most empire commands have 3 hull slots, so you can have good resist on your hull and make it a hull tank ship and have the diffusion shield as an added bonus to use, where as with the jericho ones, they usually have 2 or 3 shield slots, so maybe you want to make a shield tank build and also focus more on diffusion shield energy regen, or try something weird and use 3x adaptive shields on the jericho command, its up to you. This applies less in t2 because there are not as many slots available and a lot of modules are not unlocked as well

It is more or less the same. Usually empire commands can trade some hull tanking for passive armor and have uber energy regen, and use a shield slot if they have any, to double their capacitor volume.

On the other hand, Jerry commands can do the opposite, trade one shield slot for double capacitor volume and use their hull slot of any for uber regeneration.

As a rule of thumb, jerry commands are more maneuverable, because they usually have more engine slots and shield tanking doesn’t reduce the maneuverability like the galvanized tanked imperials do.

Also, I find that jerry commands have more sustain combat capabilities, due to the faster recharge of the shield booster module, and the healing over time of the shield while you are under diffusion shield. But they are very vulnerable to parasitic remodulator in recons.

So even if the class is the same, flying it on one faction or another gives you a totally new way to play the same class.

talking only about shield vs. hull, there are a lot of differences, e.g., that hull resists can be applied with galvanized armor, meaning you get resists in all 3 for a bit of rotation; while extending your armor is either possible with the no-downside but a bit less strong reinforced beams, or the maximum speed impending armor plated hull, extending your shield is either possible with the no-downside auxiliary shield projector (which has a bit lower yield than beams on armor), or the acceleration impending projection splitter (which gives you a very gracious shield amount, more than armor plates do for hull)

sacrificing maximum speed in this case is however usually slightly less tragic, than having a ship with projection splitters, which relies on mobility.

the no-downside resist modules, which only give one particular resist, on each, are a bit stronger on the hull side, and they usually start with slightly better values, so it’s easier to get high omni-resistance on the hull, but a bit harder on the shield.

the shields dont have a galvanized equivalent, except the adaptive shields, which only works on afterburner speeds, and also gives hull resistances, again playing in favor of the strength of hulls, but on fast and manouverable ships, shields still make a lot of sense.

then comes the weapons: shields are vulnerable against em weapons, and they tend to deal either a lot of damage or over big range. shields are semiwhat usable against thermal damage, but usually, tend to be easier to break. their upside is regeneration, so they always fill back.

so playing with your shields, usually means you try to find cover as soon as the shields go low, and try to keep out of focus fire.

otherwise however, unbreakable shields on the field are also quite a morale breaker

hulls however are vulnerable against kinetic weapons, but also usually less than shields to em. those weapons usually have slightly less range, but can hurt very much over time. hulls do not regenerate from themselves, but also take a bigger punch if you fly a ship focused on tanking with it. it is a lot easier to be also very thermal resistant, and close your kinetic hole on the hull, than trying to get the perfect inpenetrable shield.

finally, once your shield is gone, you still have hull left, but if your hull is gone, no amount of shields is going to help you; keep that in mind if you “crash” into things…

I know this is just an overview, and there are exceptions, or different things, like implants, which affect everything even more.

from a personal experience, i like shield tanking, and got so used to it, that i even do it on empire ships (without really strengthening the shield with modules, just my behaviour); some ships like the styx have enough shield to actually tank along with it, and can use the hull to have more freedom in getting to cover, to get a bit of shield back, or make the enemy frustrated. federation ships tend to be ambivalent in their usage, since you can basicly combine shield and hull, and especially adaptive-speed fits, while jericho can do hull tanking on some ships (esp. T5) or fit some triple adaptives, but usually a jerri without shields is as good as dead. thankfully, they do have a lot of strong shields. empire ships just start to tank once their shield is down, which makes them very strong ships under focus fire; something you should avoid to get into with shield tanking, except maybe for jericho guards.

so when people say it changes the playstyle, they basicly say, that all these mechanics influence your tactics. when you move in cover, how long and in which way you attack, etc.

Each of the ship types have two nations that can fly them but whats difference does it make depending on which nation you choose? I know that Empire seem to have better hulls, Jericho have good sheilds, and Feds are fast, but is this consistent through all the ships? Are there any other differences? 

And how do these differences change playstyle? Does a better shield mean you are better at 1v1 attacks because you can sustain a fair amount of damage and heal back a lot of it? How does better speed help? How do you select modules knowing you have a good hull strength?

So a lot of folks have addressed a lot of points here. I’ll just rehash because I feel left out.

Empire has better hulls and more firepower. This lets them both give and take a lot of damage, but the problem is that hull doesn’t regenerate by itself. Also empire ships are the slowest.

Jericho has better shields. Their tank regenerates, which lets them pop in and out of cover, helping them survive long-term engagements better than Empire ships. Unfortunately, shields aren’t as straight-up tanky as hulls.

Federation has better speed and maneuverability. This lets them do objectives and stay with the team better, as well dodge a lot of enemy fire. They have low shield and hull stats, though.

These are all consistent for all the ships. Other differences are a bit more subtle, and tend to go into specific ships, so I won’t say anything.

Playstyles definitely change for all three. It’s already been covered, unfortunately, and I don’t have much to add. 'Cept that Jericho is not necessarily the best at 1v1, since shield tank is, again, not as straight-up tanky as hull tank. But it does regen, which is a fact that is pretty important to playstyles.

Better speed, like on fed ships, really helps if you know where you’re going. Fed interceptors can use this speed to be immune to most human firepower - drones, tackler slows, and pulsar are typically the only things that hit them consistently.

Both interceptors and fighters can use speed to pop in and out to ambush someone with some unexpected firepower. Harassing someone over and over again, always being just out of their reach, can be rather effective.

And all fed ships can use their speed to stay “in position” – basically, near the objectives, near the teammates, near cover, and moving to where you need to be next. After you get to about tier 3, you’ll be able to see how much being in position helps both you and your team. It helps you stay alive and doing important stuff like capturing beacons and supporting teammates.

Modules are typically a pretty standard choice. Since you seem to be asking about empire ships, I’ll talk empire ships first. The tl;dr is the first sentence of each section.

Engines are typically verniers. Those help you rotate faster, which is pretty important even if you stay in one place the entire match. Other options include catalyst injector and auxiliary generator, which increase your speed (only a tiny bit useful for most ships, typically not used), collision compensator, which increases rotation and strafe speed while decreasing collision damage (useful for playing interceptors if they wobble a bunch for you). Also available for fighters is the cruise engine, which you shouldn’t use because it’s a pain in the rear and I hate it increases your speed to faster than that of an interceptor, at the cost of raising afterburner energy cost, decreasing rotation and strafe a good bit while not afterburning, decreasing rotation and strafe to essentially zero while afterburning, and being a jerkwad imposing an energy cost upon activating afterburners. However, again, typically this means that only really fast interceptors or tacklers/guards with slows can catch you, which is a serious pain advantage.

Capacitors are typically voltage regulator and emergency barrier. These help you regenerate energy fast enough that you can use afterburners and modules whenever you want, and save your butt from fire while retreating, respectively. Also, emergency barrier doesn’t stack. Other options include iridium heatsink, which increases burst firepower (useful if you like that), pulse discharger, which increases dps in exchange for energy regeneration(useful if you don’t worry about energy), and leak stabilizer, which increases capacitor volume (useful for commands focusing on diffusion tank). Also available on frigates is acceleration coils, which increase projectile speed of your main weapons (helps hit fast ships, doesn’t do anything for lasers).

Shields are typically adaptives on empire ships, as they increase hull resistances by quite a bit. However, if you wish, you can also increase shield resistance to one type by a bit. A sketchy choice for an empire ship would be increasing volume - a tiny volume plus a tiny percent equals a still tiny volume.

Hulls are typically galvanized, and reinforced beams or armor plated hull. These increase resistances across the board at the cost of rotation (rotation is more important the faster you go, so be careful when using this on interceptors, but use liberally on frigates), increase hull volume without a cost, or at the cost of some speed (speed is more important the smaller your tank, so again, be careful when using on interceptors), respectively. Other options include the individual resistances without downsides - really useful if you know what kind of damage you take a lot. A very attractive but costly module is the passive armor, which increases energy regeneration by a huge amount at the cost of some resistances. Be careful, even though the resistance cost is low, if you use this, you are losing a slot that you could have used for something else! If you really need the energy, or are confident that you can play with lesser tanking power, then use it. Otherwise, don’t. Another typically attractive modules is the regenerative coating, which helps your hull regenerate slowly when capacitor is half full or more. Do not be fooled - this is majorly useless on most ships. If frigates are going to die, they’re going to die in less than 30 seconds - and 1500 hull from the regeneration isn’t going to stop it. If fighters die, they’re more likely to have been worn down over time, but again, the low amount of regen isn’t worth the hull module slot. On the other hand, certain interceptors can definitely use it, as it helps mitigate the low amount of damage that they ought to be taking if they’re dodging correctly. But only fit it if you have enough energy stability to have it on more than not, and if you typically have some small amount of hull damage at most points in time. Otherwise, take something else.

CPU slots are a bit… weird. They highly depend on the weapon and ship you’re using. Infrared scanner is really useful for most ships, since crit damage is some great stuff. Electronic guidance is only useful for select weapons (meaning the RF and Heavy blasters), but definitely helps more the further you are from your target. Proton wall may seem a bit useless in lower tiers, since they work on a grand total of five different effects (tachyon cocoon, ion diffuser, stasis generator, white noise jammer, and IR pulsar). However, in tier 5, it definitely helps lower the damage you’d be taking from an ECM using their 4 second stasis generator right after their 10 second ion diffuser. If you don’t like being stunned, use it. Overclocked CPU helps ECMs and tacklers quite a bit, as they need lock on to apply their stuns and slows. Otherwise, it doesn’t help terribly much, as that period of one second (max) before lock on you’d be cutting off can still be used to fire at your target. Spatial scanner is a ripoff right now, and was typically useless without a T5 one on a T5 ship anyways.

And uh… That’s it.

Wow! Nice essay!  :005j:

But, I think you

hit%20nail.jpg

Lots of these guys have summed it up nicely.

I made a video a while back that is a beginner’s guide to Star Conflict. It’s a bit long, but if you wanna know more, check it out.

I want to point this out. I think the Empire and Federation have clear advantages in the interceptor department due to them being either moderately or heavily hull tanked. Unlike Jericho ones which rely on shields, a interceptor spiralling in circles which is hull tanked is a lot harder to kill due to a major difference in hitbox size. This seems to be present throughout the tiers.

Not that interceptors can even soak up  lots of damage, but if their primary health pool is in their hull, i think they have a significant advantage in combat simply because they speed tank better than another interceptor which has its primary health pool being its shield.

I want to point this out. I think the Empire and Federation have clear advantages in the interceptor department due to them being either moderately or heavily hull tanked. Unlike Jericho ones which rely on shields, a interceptor spiralling in circles which is hull tanked is a lot harder to kill due to a major difference in hitbox size. This seems to be present throughout the tiers.

Not that interceptors can even soak up  lots of damage, but if their primary health pool is in their hull, i think they have a significant advantage in combat simply because they speed tank better than another interceptor which has its primary health pool being its shield.

The trick is use 1 or 2 of the shield slots in the jerry ceptors for adaptives, and use the hull as a “emergency tank” for gtfo.

I usually fly with two resists and one adaptive in my jerry ceptors, and shield tank. The adaptive is good for adding resistances, but you still have shield tank that is not dependant on speed. Also, shield booster recharges much faster than repair kit, and heals more over time.

The problem with shield tank is that you cant hit the button and have 2000 hp back, you have to wait 8 seconds till the shield booster repair all the shields.

And finally, the only reason shield tank is at disadvantage is the parasitic remodulator from recons. That thing is just OP against shields, and the reason most people fly jerry interceptors with full adaptive setups.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I put this in the guides section because I thought it would be a question a lot of people would have, and I didn’t see earlier posts about it. 

I’m going to have to try what you guys have said in game now. I’m going to run two ships of the same type but different nations in the same game, trade off when I die, and then play with the modules to tweak them how I like. I’m looking forward to it though! This is what is fun about this game, trying to figure out what your advantages are and how to maximize them!