What It Means to be Free

Deleted. I’m being watched.

Think of what you really, really need. Cast aside what you don’t need. Ignore whatever isn’t important. Everything should come instinctively. 

But then again… it’s hard to convey Taoist philosophy in words ><

Freedom to me?Heh,it’s about moving to canada and be a citizen of Canada but the ****ing embassy won’t give me a god damned visa.

Freedom is when you don’t have to do anything and can stay 24/7 in abasement playing video-games!

south-park-wow.jpg

This guy is so free i can’t even!

For a moment I thought I was in Reddit.

thank you for sharing your thoughts elefay.

Freedom for me:

not having to run in a hamster wheel we call economy and social expectations.

Yes, it brings benefits to run in that wheel. Stuff like love, not having to hunger, electricity, crap no one needs to survive and star conflict :006j:.

But in the end, those things are all just drugs that help you endure the fact, that tommorrow, you’ll be running in that hamster wheel again to prolong your so called freedom.

As for your feelings for that special woman, who says, that you’re a slave of your emotions if you think about her? It’s your feedom to think about what you want. If you can’t forget her, then there was something good in knowing her.

Every Person has a other picture of freedom, but it sure is a subject i didn’t expect in a star conlict Forum. Not that this is a bad thing.

Freedom. Freedom’s a powerful word.

For me, a truly free individual can completely disregard the consequences of his/her own actions. A truly free individual exists beyond causality. A truly free individual is… powerful. Very powerful. The thought of it also scares me to some degree.

Reddit.

HERESY.jpg

Welcome to the Star Off Topic!

Freedom is going to sleep and turning off the alarm clock.

Freedom is staying in your own house in underwear and xxxx whenever you want.

Of course, in the 1st world the real freedom is given by default, so I don’t think we should have to explain that freedom is not being slaved and so on…

Concerning the hamster wheel, well, find a hobby and get paid for it. You won’t have to work a single day since.

Freedom simply means that no one can force you to do something you don’t want to do.

Freedom simply means that no one can force you to do something you don’t want to do.

But things get complicated when freedoms start to infringe on each other. Let’s say I was raised in a society where cannibalism is accepted. And let’s say I visit another society that opposes cannibalism, and I demand that I should be free to eat whoever I like (and likewise I allow anyone who wants to eat me to go ahead and try). Of course, that’s just an extreme case, but it’s just an example.

I can’t say that I’m unhappy with the rising costs of living, so I’ll refuse to pay the additional amount imposed by price hikes. I can’t avoid my military service because conscription is compulsory in my country. In a sense we will never be free if we choose to define freedom in this sense.

Hence I see freedom as a relative thing, not an absolute thing. We will never truly be free, but we can try to be as free as possible within the constraints that we can never get rid of (laws, social expectations etc). We can free ourselves of impractical material desires, unhealthy relationships with other people, etc. 

Don’t confuse what I was saying :wink:

I said: Freedom means that no one can force me to do something that I don’t want to do.

-> Of course that doesn’t mean that I can do whatever I want to do. I always have to respect each person’s private space. I just said that freedom for me means I don’t have to do anything, if I don’t want to.

Don’t confuse what I was saying :wink:

I said: Freedom means that no one can force me to do something that I don’t want to do.

-> Of course that doesn’t mean that I can do whatever I want to do. I always have to respect each person’s private space. I just said that freedom for me means I don’t have to do anything, if I don’t want to.

What I meant to say is that society often imposes hard and soft restrictions on our actions. For instance, I can’t buy an apartment for myself until I’m 35 if I choose to remain single (I could spend a lot more money on private housing, but prices are exorbitant). And even then there are restrictions on the size and location of the apartment. (EDIT: Single parents aren’t eligible for public housing either, since single-parent families aren’t considered families when it comes to purchasing a flat.) That’s a hard restriction for something that other people would take for granted. Likewise we have soft restrictions on car ownership again due to exorbitant prices. Higher education also comes with a hefty price tag while scholarships are offered to foreign students, and I simply do not have the luxury of pursuing my studies without working part-time. We have one of the longest working hours in the world but one of the greatest income disparities. And almost every damned thing has a law governing it. Heck, we even used to ban chewing gum. (At least we have Kinder Surprise.)

That’s why I believe true freedom is not the ability to do what you want. (Besides, there’s always a maniac out there who wants to do something utterly ridiculous, but let’s not go there.) True freedom is the ability to detach yourself from (for the lack of a better word) the mundane. Do i care if I can’t get a house until a decade later? No. Do I need a car? No. I managed to pay for my education somehow. I don’t chew gum (heck, I rarely eat sweets because there are too many local snacks to enjoy). I’m not bound by these restraints because I don’t let them do so. They’re still there, but I don’t care.

Freedom is a pretty weird thing in and of itself. One might even think that perhaps, anarchy would be the definition of freedom. No government to keep you down, no man who can force you to do something you don’t want, or even not to do something that you do want. But then, when you really, really think about it, in an anarchy, you’re not really that free. You’re not free to piss someone off, because if you do, they’re liable to set fire to your house right after doing terrible things to your family right in front of your eyes. You’re not free to, in fact, interact with anyone that has a funny look in their eye, for the same reason. So what can you do? You constrain yourself, and make everyone else constrain themselves, too. You bundle up a bunch of people, call them the government, and get them to make sure that anyone who tries to break these constraints has to deal with consequences. Like jail. Or the death sentence. And while you give up the freedom to blow other people up, you’re gaining freedom at the same time. Freedom to interact with other people without fear. Freedom from fearing those jealous of you, freedom, as well, to be a dickwad to everyone you meet. Because, y’know, it’s legal. And those things I mentioned earlier? Not so legal.

That, at least, is a somewhat boiled down, slightly changed version of what Hobbes used to think. And, while there are other takes on the idea, some of which I actually like better, it’s a good starting point. The point I’m trying to get across, is that to get more freedom, one must first give up freedom. There is no such thing as “perfect” freedom, because if there is, then at least one person will try to wreck it, and if you don’t let that guy do that, then you must have restrained them, making it no longer “perfect” freedom.

So, that girl that was allowed to date? She had gotten some freedom - namely, the freedom to date whomever she chose. But she also lost some freedom - the freedom from responsibility in a relationship. If you don’t already know, finding the right person to date is hard as hell, and behaving such that the relationship stays healthy and both parties happy is even harder. Since, y’know, a relationship usually involves both giving and getting some degree of emotional dependency.

But there is one thing that disturbed me in your post. You sound happy to have these freedoms taken from you, so that you’re free from the responsibilities that they carry. Like, y’know, with your Adam and Eve deal. The thing is, in society, every person must accept some degree of responsibility lest they have their freedoms taken. Adam and Eve, though they didn’t know it, started something bigger than themselves when they took the forbidden fruit. Without knowledge of good and evil, humans altogether would have less freedom. The question that has to be asked is this: Is it worth giving away your freedom, if you’re kept safe from responsibility? If you could return to Eden, under condition that you could no longer think for yourself, would you?

Well. That’s something everyone has to answer for themselves.

I don’t believe in freedom, Life itself a measurement of how well you can against your own will. Everything you do are triggered by motivation and controlled by your desire, it’s all physics and chemistry at work.

deep