What exactly is 'DSR'?

I see a lot of Corporation that are recruiting asking for a DSR, so my question firstly, is what is DSR?  Is it the “Skill Rating” listed in your in-game profile? 

If so, how is it determined exactly?  I’ve noticed it seems to increase with PvP matches won, then decreases with matches lost.  While I could score 0 kills in a game, if it was won the skill rating would increase.  I also managed a game with 7 kills, however we ended up (just barely) losing, and the rating went down. 

Yes, it is the “Skill Rating”. DSR stands for Destroyed Ships Ratio. It increases every time u kill an enemy and it decreases every time you are dead. The more DSR you have the harder it will be to keep increasing it, because it counts how much DSR your enemies have.

e-peen.

The thing you constantly need to troll down if you don’t want to be permanently booked on the captain’s position in combat recon.

The thing you constantly need to troll down if you don’t want to be permanently booked on the captain’s position in combat recon.

Thats actually the best position to be in in combat recon

Thats actually the best position to be in in combat recon

Yes and no. I tend to prefer knocking out the enemy captain fast and that’s easier when you’re not the captain, at least when not in a squad and the battle having a decent amount of players.

Besides, there is never ever an engineer with active heals (at best they pulse them like the n.oobs they are, at least up to t4), so being captain plain sucks when you fly solo.

Of course if you have a small roster and the enemy captain is from NASA then 75% damage boost on your gauss make it quick business:

6bQY2CV.jpg

SCNR

One thing to consider when looking at DSR is it varies in part based on the tier you fly.  Higher tiers give you a higher DSR for the same “skill,” partly because all the pilots tend to have higher DSR’s anyway.  It’s also farmable, you can raise your DSR by flying certain ships more than others.  People who fly in squads can generally offer themselves better protection against deaths, so many people who fly in squads regularly tend to have higher DSR’s since part of it is just survival.

As for captain, I want to avoid being captain unless it’s a small 3v3.  In a 12v12 I don’t want it.

I have average kill and assist ratio of 4 per game (which sounds rubbish but that’s quite high around the T1 corp I’m in) but my skill rating sits around 1050 constantly, when I see people with averages of less than 2 with like 1200 skill ratings…?

I have average kill and assist ratio of 4 per game (which sounds rubbish but that’s quite high around the T1 corp I’m in) but my skill rating sits around 1050 constantly, when I see people with averages of less than 2 with like 1200 skill ratings…?

I suppose you fly interceptors in low tier games, so you die a lot. Once you reach tier 3 and above, survivability is much higher in all classes, so it is easier to kill and not get killed, if you know what to do.

Yes, this is normal.

DSR (Skill Rating) is not tied to amount of kills, only to whom you kill, and who kills you. It is not counting ship types (in some ships you definitely die more often than in others) and million other things that affect this that are not calculated in.

So its a bit silly way to count “skill” as it is actually counting totally different thing.

It takes skill to generally not die in game, but it is not necessarily always or even most of the time the best way to win a match with objectives.

But DSR is excellent tool for skill checking. In T4 and T5, you can immediately determine the outcome of the match with 90% likelyhood by checking everyones DSRs 1st two digits (DRS of 9xx is 09 and so on). But for that, the numbers could just be changed to text. Like SR of below 1000 is “beginner”, then incrementally give good textual titles for other Skill Rating values. Would be a bit better and would make people to focus less to SR for wrong reasons.

So it has its uses; it happens to work, even if it is not initially really measuring what it says it is =)

But DSR is excellent tool for skill checking. In T4 and T5, you can immediately determine the outcome of the match with 90% likelyhood by checking everyones DSRs 1st two digits (DRS of 9xx is 09 and so on). But for that, the numbers could just be changed to text. Like SR of below 1000 is “beginner”, then incrementally give good textual titles for other Skill Rating values. Would be a bit better and would make people to focus less to SR for wrong reasons.

If I’m understanding it correctly…  Couldn’t someone just say, sit in a LRF and snipe for the entire game to artificially boost the rating, without contributing to certain objective-based modes as say an Interceptor, which is probably going to die more often than the frigate?

If I’m understanding it correctly…  Couldn’t someone just say, sit in a LRF and snipe for the entire game to artificially boost the rating, without contributing to certain objective-based modes as say an Interceptor, which is probably going to die more often than the frigate?

Yes. But I think LRF is not best example, depends on tier. In high tiers LRF is easy to kill, some other classes will give better “staying alive but still making kills while not caring about objectives” -ratio.

(But for the part that you quoted: I’m thinking in macro level, but I think you are talking about micro level: while there are players (individuals, micro level) that can and will artificially do that, in macro level (general level) it still is efficient tool of deciding the probability (likelihood) that the player is good as most players play the game without caring about insignificant things like boosting SR artificially. So we are talking about probabilities, not binary (0/1, true/false). Because even good players have bad days and might play badly in one game or select poor ship because they have to level it up or something, even if his SR wasn’t artificially modified. It is always about probabilities, high SR player is very likely to play well (but it is not guaranteed for obvious reasons).).

Note that this is not a praise towards DSR / SR: I dislike its use as e-peen / micro level skill measurement.

They die less.  View it as a survivability rating.  My “lifetime” kills per battle is 1.54, weekly averages are around two or three I think.  My DSR’s around 1400.

Absolutely.

Yes. But I think LRF is not best example, depends on tier. In high tiers LRF is easy to kill, some other classes will give better “staying alive but still making kills while not caring about objectives” -ratio.

There’s one catch, the more LRF’s on the team the less likely they are to get rushed and they can get safer kills.  A lone interceptor would be foolish to rush a set of LRF’s that stick together.  They’ll be more likely to lose the battle but they’re more likely to raise their DSR.  That’s unless they all gunboat mode and tear havoc into the other team.

My SR rating is at a steady 1280-1320 zone. I like it to stay there. 

My SR rating is at a steady 1280-1320 zone. I like it to stay there. 

How do you get that low? I can’t drop below the 1460’s.

Chain suiciding in T1 helps. At least that’s the only way I can drop that low.

Possible ways to drop it 

1. Fly solo in T1 as a frigate

2. Outfit your ships so they are squishy

3. PM the guy that has the highest SR rating on the enemy team to kill you so your SR drops huge chunks (Not recommended as it can or could be suggesting rule breaking)

4. Be a looney and dont go after objectives

5. Get some thud medals

6. Be the captain and die in less then 20 seconds by an enemy sniper

7. Pretend you dont speak English and never give your team buffs or heals in a command or Engy. 

8. Ask players to help you move your ship as you forgot the ‘parking brake’ on. 

9. Beg for it to be dropped. 

1. Fly solo in T1 as a frigate

2. Outfit your ships so they are squishy

3. PM the guy that has the highest SR rating on the enemy team to kill you so your SR drops huge chunks (Not recommended as it can or could be suggesting rule breaking)

4. Be a looney and dont go after objectives

5. Get some thud medals

6. Be the captain and die in less then 20 seconds by an enemy sniper

7. Pretend you dont speak English and never give your team buffs or heals in a command or Engy.

8. Ask players to help you move your ship as you forgot the ‘parking brake’ on.

9. Beg for it to be dropped.

1. Not a good way because you’ll end up their captain and while suiciding as a grunt is fun, if you have any class you don’t do it as a captain. Had that yesterday, leads to this:

0Ff90tg.jpg

Very counter-productive to DSR lowering endeavours but I ended up eliting that ship so was ok.

1. lowest, not highest. just spawn in a recon an warp right to them. then laugh yourself silly because getting killed by really low score guys can be hard even though you are not shooting back. my favourite is warping to an enemy LRF and keep bumping them. They’ll never shoot back in T1 so you end up having to fly into their targeting laser to get dropped that way. :wink:

2. that’s actually a good way to raise your DSR, sit at a safe distance and snipe all the low health guys at the beacons

3. pulse your heals/buffs for style points :slight_smile:

4. I wish.

Menu -> Key Bindings -> Fire Main Weapon then Unbind key.

Menu -> Key Bindings -> Fire Main Weapon then Unbind key.

We should organize a battle where we must kill the enemy through ramming. :wink: