Vulkan

So I just read about Vulkan coming up to take over OpenGL and I was wondering if the Dev team was interested or considering the transition. I have no idea what it would take to port the game to the new API, but from what I’ve read, it seems as though it would be much easier to port from DirectX to Vulkan. 

There isn’t much degradation as it stands now. You can see some brightness that is dulled slightly from Windows to Linux (I have a dual-boot system that runs Windows 10 and Ubuntu 15.10). There are other issues such as planets being blocked half way, which I’m sure a fix will be coming for that soon. 

Anyways, I was just curious. There will be a webinar from the developers of Vulkan on Feb. 18. The developers are called Khronos. 

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3032142/hardware/gaming-on-linux-steam-machines-set-to-soar-with-directx-competitor-vulkan.html

opengl works great for me… 50-100 fps on nvidia graphic card… if vulkan is new it would be better to wait!?

So I just read about Vulkan coming up to take over OpenGL and I was wondering if the Dev team was interested or considering the transition. I have no idea what it would take to port the game to the new API, but from what I’ve read, it seems as though it would be much easier to port from DirectX to Vulkan.

Most games today are developed in DirectX, but Vulkan also makes porting games to other platforms quicker Previously, graphics quality would degrade when trying to port from Windows to Linux or Mac. But with Vulkan, quality remains largely intact when porting from DirectX, Ekstrand said.

They only say that when the game renderer is already written with the Vulkan Api it is easier to port it to multiple platforms and that you don’t have a that big performance gap between Direct X and Vulkan as it was with Open Gl

opengl works great for me… 50-100 fps on nvidia graphic card… if vulkan is new it would be better to wait!?

Porting SC to Vulkan would take time so when they want to port it there would be no point in waiting, but I wouldn’t expect them to do it