Video Editing Software

Hey,

I have been using Shadow Play with PowerDirector12 for creation of video’s.

(Mostly Venting)

The Shadow Play works great however the PowerDirector SUCKS.  I have had so many problems with this xxxx software.  If you record in 60fps your project template only accepts 59.9fps this cant be fixed.  So you read the forums and there is a workaround, you need to create your own custom output and assign 60fps.  Do that for a couple of my video’s then realize the output file is not 1080p like you recorded.  Half the time it doesn t work.  Add to this critical flaw when you add gifs or pictures it messes with your output some times it doesn t allow you to encode to mp4 so you have to use mpg.  The thing crashes all the time. Im done with it.

I need a new video editing software.  Do you guys have suggestions for me.  What do you use and why ?

I used AVS video editor, it is awesome. Now I use Sony Vegas 13.

Anyways if you want an easy to use, but have advanced stuff, I recommend AVS video editor. 

Thanks why did you switch from the AVS video editor ?

Thanks why did you switch from the AVS video editor ?

I got a better PC, so I thought hey let’s go to Sony Vegas. I really love AVS but the thing that I never liked is that if there’s 2 clips and you don’t put transition between them (like you want it to instantly move to the other clip) it will do a clipping sound in the end which I don’t like. Sony Vegas doesn’t do that. Over all AVS is awesome if you scratch that problem, maybe it can be solved I never searched.

P.S. I cracked AVS and Sony Vegas. .__. when I have money I’ll buy the stuff I crack lol.

I use Shotcut(mostly because it has a lot of decoding/encoding options and it is free)

I use camtasia 8 with “eternal trail mode” :slight_smile: just deleting a reg entry. Not sure if it works in newer versions. The demo is full function for 30 days

I use camtasia 8 with “eternal trail mode” :slight_smile: just deleting a reg entry. Not sure if it works in newer versions. The demo is full function for 30 days

I checked that one out, if you put a 60 FPS video you will get a hell of a laggy preview of the video. You can’t tell what’s going on while editing. :confused: That program didn’t get to 60 FPS stuff yet. 

I use Premiere, but to be honest I don’t have a xxxx idea what I’m doing. I just cut and paste, do some fancy preloaded transitions, and record in 30 FPS, because to be honest the difference with 60 FPS is really small, and it is double rendering time.

Thanks,

I think I ll be trying Sony Vegas.  Its similar to the gui of the Powerdirector and there are so many tutorials for it.

You’re welcome. It’s pretty easy to use to be honest. When I first downloaded it on my weak laptop, I saw the GUI, I instantly uninstalled it lol. Decided to give it another try when I got my new PC! And I am not regretting it. Gonna buy it though when I get money, I feel bad for cracking it. :[

Also would use Vegas on Windows, but since i cut on linux, I use kdenlive;

Also heard Vegas is said to support the actual (proprietary) codec used in shadowplay for direct linear edits / cuts, even if I never actually ended up using that yet; (so you dont have to reencode the whole video feed)

I also tried a lot of the free windows cutting tools, even blender :stuck_out_tongue: if you want free legal video cutting software on windows, I would actually right go the extra mile and learn blender, so the ideologist should be a professional in that case.

For Shadowplay I now sometimes also use OBS again, since it can record now with the shadowplay api (but add overlays) and stream it on google/twitch if needed. I ended up doing most of the overlay work there.

Also would use Vegas on Windows, but since i cut on linux, I use kdenlive;

Also heard Vegas is said to support the actual (proprietary) codec used in shadowplay for direct linear edits / cuts, even if I never actually ended up using that yet; (so you dont have to reencode the whole video feed)

I also tried a lot of the free windows cutting tools, even blender :stuck_out_tongue: if you want free legal video cutting software on windows, I would actually right go the extra mile and learn blender, so the ideologist should be a professional in that case.

For Shadowplay I now sometimes also use OBS again, since it can record now with the shadowplay api (but add overlays) and stream it on google/twitch if needed. I ended up doing most of the overlay work there.

Wow thanks,  going to try OBS

Finally switched to Sony Vegas.  Its the best all I can say : S, U, Space, Enter.

barely use a mouse anymore.

Finally switched to Sony Vegas.  Its the best all I can say : S, U, Space, Enter.

barely use a mouse anymore.

I love SV, but I just don’t know how to use it that much. What does S, U do?

S - Splits the current video selected.

U - Separates the audio from the video so you can delete or move either.

S - Splits the current video selected.

U - Separates the audio from the video so you can delete or move either.

Thanks for the info! :o

I’ve used sony vegas and movie maker, but you can do almost anything in corel videostudio. Very easy to use, dont have many templates like vegas have though.

yah corel was btw. the other product that supports the codec according to some internet forums (paid the license) for the codec shadowplay used initially (since i do not know if it hasnt changed but i bet it hasnt)

it’s a lot cheaper than vegas. for free editing, your choices are still, go to linux/mac or use blender, since the other free cutters, and also some commercial ones, do not support the codec completely; which isnt important if you plan to reencode a heavily edited video anyway, which means you can go premiere or AVS or even movie maker (but editing will take more time in the end)