United States Championship Feedback

2342143124.jpg.8ecdb7c35a1896aa45f1b81349921576.jpg

Hello everyone! In the wake of the United States Championship, We are looking for your feedback in order for us to improve subsequent tournaments. If you have any questions, complaints, praise or concerns regarding the USC and future tournaments, this thread is the place to post them.

Perhaps you could let each team play on their home server for 1 of the 2 games they play - as has been done in every other tournament.

2 hours ago, Cr0 said:

Perhaps you could let each team play on their home server for 1 of the 2 games they play - as has been done in every other tournament.

Well it was the US tournament so.

Think about it.

Anyways I feel like this one was pretty nice, but it would have been nice to definitely know how many battles you’re gonna be part of, and if you’re continuing on or not. With this one we basically suicided because one of our members thought we were done and left before the finals.

• Try not to have 4+h at one day. Try to keep it at 3h max per day
  • Communicate better beforehand how much you want to do at one day. ORCA1911 saying twice that he moved us to the beginning of a block so we are finished earlier gives the impression of being finished after that stage (and not having play-offs and finals afterwards)
  • Imo Single Elimination is a better fit for Play-Off instead of a Point based system.

Improvements

• I agree with John here, single elimination playoffs makes much more sense than just having two group stages.
  • It needs to be made much more clear how the tournament was going to function, as we almost left after the playoffs due to never being told that finals was a separate stage, and that most of our team hadn’t ever played in a tournament before so didn’t know this from past experience.
  • Some teams had a hard time understanding what was banned and what wasn’t, leading to a need for a clearer outline on that.
  • I think having a referee in every match is pointless, it slows down the pace of the tournament, I’d recommend just having a report system with evidence (video, screenshots).

Positives

• Rank range seemed to work relatively well.
  • Seeding seemed relatively balanced
  • Seemed relatively professionally run
  • Stream was a nice addition

12 hours ago, TripFire said:

It needs to be made much more clear how the tournament was going to function, as we almost left after the playoffs due to never being told that finals was a separate stage, and that most of our team hadn’t ever played in a tournament before so didn’t know this from past experience.

It was written down in the rules.

Point based Group Stage -> Point based Play-offs -> Finals/Fight for 3rd place

Tournament organizers should NOT get to pick and choose rewards from, like getting a turbophaser and the Lava skin. In fact they shouldn’t get any rewards aside from the sticker that everyone who competes gets

I don’t really agree with the format, a “Point-based playoff” is kind of contradictory: a playoff is some form of an elimination bracket in most cases. Additionally, it should have taken place over two days. I think it was quite ambitious to try and do the whole tournament in one day, and I know of teams that lost members over the course of the tournament because they either were not aware that they would have to be around longer or did not have the time.