Star Theory: Corporations are Evil! Who'd have guessed?

Yes, I know! A futuristic setting where massive multi-trillion credit companies aren’t selfless, community driven organisations working for the betterment of mankind, but rather sinister, manipulative cabals of immoral monsters! What a totally original concept!

Star Theory: Corporations are Evil!

Okay, let’s reel this back in a little. I mean, “evil” is such a strong word. Are they really so bad? Well, that depends on how bad you consider destabilising governments, extorting funds, propping up the black market, hiring assassins and prolonging a war for the sake of profit is. And yes, the Corps are guilty of all this and more. We’re not the good guys, people; if you’re in a Corp, you’re more evil than Hitler, Stalin and Fox News combined!

So let’s begin with the big one; Corps are evil because they want to prolong the war, prop up the pirates, and keep the interplanetary governments panicking so they can have a monopoly on the Iridium trade, knowing full well that in doing this they’re not only putting mercenaries and soldiers at risk, but long term they might be risking the fate of the entire human race! A bold claim, right? Well, the history of Sector Conquest, and its rewards, will help us fill in the blanks.

In Ye Olden Dayes, Corporations had no power whatsoever. This was back before SecCon was a thing and it was the search for the Precursors that dominated our reason for being out in Sector 1337. it was a simpler time, but for Corps it was a sucky time; it cost GS to make a corp, but there was no real benefit beyond a shiny tag after your name.

Here is where I want to make the first aside; back then, the GS currency was linked to the “black market”. The primary role of the black market was to convert GS to credits (who would do that? Seriously?), but as we’ll see later, it had, and still has a much more important role.

Fast forward to SecCon 1.0, where we could finally wage war for control of sectors. Well, I say “control”, but in reality it was the major powers who had control - all the Corps got was some bragging rights. This was still early days, before the aliens appeared and when piracy was a minor issue. SecCon 2.0 finally saw Corps getting rewards in the form of credits, irium and gold standards. This was also the time when Open Space first surfaced, and we saw not only a major rise in pirate activity, but also the first signs of alien life.

We know from Dev Blogs that the onset of aliens is what has caused the major powers to retreat, and why SecCon 3.0 gives near total control of the region to the Corporations. But how does this link Corps to pirates?

Well, those with long memories, or those willing to dig through a lot of old news announcements will know that when the pirates first emerged, they weren’t actually pirates - they were privateers. In fact, the Federation “pirates” even called themselves Privateers! What’s a privateer? Well, privateers are pirates with a letter of marque; a promise that they won’t attack a certain faction, and will instead raid and disrupt shipping of an opposing power. So, the Empire sent “pirates” after the Federation, and the Federation sent “pirates” after the Empire. This sets the stage for the corporate activities, and their own privateer arrangements.

Let’s go back to 2.0 a moment, and remember what brought the Empire, Federation and Jericho to Sector 1337 in the first place - alien artefacts, and the irium they contained. Remember the GS income? I submit to you that this was the first corporate involvement in the black market. We know that pirates have access to some advanced tech, the least of which includes Mk IV modules, and to get that they’d need a steady supply of iridium. So when an unscrupulous corp finds the right iridium deposit, and the right smugglers, they take a GS bribe and claim all they found was gold or vanadium or some other “credit” income. Sure, their coffers are now down by hundreds of thousands of credits a day, but when a veteran combat ace can be earning up to half a million credits a mission, that kind of money is easily lost in the paperwork.

But now the corps have control, surely they don’t need this arrangment anymore, right? That’s true, which is why they changed the game! Take a quick flight to a pirate infested region and watch as a faction transport comes under fire from pirates. Notice how they never take the loot? These guys leave everything from rare minerals to alien technology just floating in space for any scavenger to find! Does that sound like pirate activity to you? Of course not! But what it does sound like is a military action; their goal isn’t to steal, but merely to blockade the warp gates and cut the supply lines. If transports can’t transport, the powers that be can’t maintain control, which means they can’t take back the iridium trade from the corporations.

Want more proof? Consider the following; if you’re part of a corp that has held a system in SecCon 3.0 you’ll know that your share of the iridium gets transported to you nice and regular. But have you ever seen a corp transport? Have you ever had to fight off pirates to make sure your iridium arrived safely? No! And no matter how pirate infested your corp’s territory, you never will. The pirates protect the transports for you, using smuggling routes and covert means to make sure your goods go unmolested, while both sides maintain the pretense of being at each others throats. This is why no corp ever steps up security, or sends a punitive raid against the pirates, and its also why no pirate squadrons ever disrupt the iridium mining. All the corp has to do is give the local thugs a cut, and the operation will run smooth as silk.

So now you know how the cycle of violence is maintained; corps use iridium to build bigger and better Dreadnoughts and upgrade their attack wings, giving them greater control. The pirates are paid off with iridium, keeping them strong and able to remain a constant threat to the major government powers. This, combined with the alien threat, means the corps can’t be uprooted by government, and since the corps and their mercenaries are also relied upon to fight the pirates, that’s never going to happen either.

Of course, both sides have to keep up appearances. Just because your corp is funnelling thousands of tonnes of irium to the pirates doesn’t mean they won’t blow you out of the sky while you’re performing a mining operation for New Eden. But that’s all part of the game, ensuring that the corps are seen to be fighting the good fight and trying their best to obey their government sponsors so nobody ever looks too closely at the fine detail.

A final note before we wrap up. For those of you who still aren’t sure if the GS currency is really linked to the black market, here’s a few things to think about. First of all, the premium ships. Back when the ships had in-game descriptions many of the premium craft were described as being prototypes, experimental or otherwise extremely rare collectors items. In short, these were not the kind of ship you’d find on the forecourt of your local dealer. By extension, these ships being so rare, and thus so valuable make them prime targets for theft, hence why they magically become available for those with the right shady contacts and large sums of an illegal and untraceable currency.

Beyond that, think of all the things that GS can do for you! When you found a Corp you don’t have to fill in a lot of forms, sit through background checks and wait six months for the T56-D forms to come back. instead, your Corp is officially recognised from the get-go, appearing out of thin air no questions asked. What sounds more likely there; that the act of establishing an autonomous military clade that can change loyalty on a whim has been streamlined so much it’s easier than bidding on eBay, or that you’re actually buying status through a shady organisation that’ll falsify your paperwork and give you legitimacy you and your fellow mercs don’t deserve in the least?

Or why not buy yourself a “license” and suddenly, inexplicably see your earning power go up. I wonder where that extra money might be coming from? Is it really that you can be paid more because you’ve got a shiny badge on your flight suit? It seems far more likely to me that all you’ve done is paid GS for credits, and your money-launderer is delivering the goods by moving numbers around on your pay slips, or “losing” a few extra pieces of cargo near where your salvage teams are operating.

It should be clear to you now that things are not okay in Sector 1337, and if I’ve done my job right, you now know why! So before you buy the hype and sign up with a corporation that promises you a chance to save the galaxy and earn a lot of sweet loot doing it, just remember that there’s a good chance the only thing they’re looking to save is their evil, exploitative dictatorship!

Next time on Star Theory… sweet rolls! For real this time! No, seriously, the next Star Theory is going to finally be about sweet rolls!

Capitalism at its best…

This is the first time I’ve taken the time to read one of those because of the theme and it was a worth read well done.

This is the first time I’ve taken the time to read one of those because of the theme and it was a worth read well done.

The other ones are really good also :slight_smile:

I love your star theories. Again a good one.

only caveat: iridium isn’t so useful in peace :slight_smile: it’s not strictly a theoretical material, and a super heavy element usually is good for only one thing… weaponization…

that being said, you could also argue, the factions are even more evil. instead of giving up fighting each other and holding hands, they established an intergalactic corporate system, international fiscal acknowledgement, and provide us with newer and newer designs to fight, while taking away gold from rich kids who start their own little pack of pilots. so who is really evil, the one who plans or the one who naturally tries to grab opportunities !? :slight_smile:

Next we find out, Gabe Newell is our real emperor.

You forgot one small detail:

The Privateer and Shadow pirate factions no longer exist. Sure, their ships do, but what do we see out in Open Space?

Cybers -> Alien Worshipers with modified Jericho Tech

Pirates -> Common Thieves with Shadow Tech

Cartel -> Smugglers with Privateer Tech

Think about that last one. The Privateers who used to work for the Federation are suddenly re-branded as Cartel…

Funny how that fits right in with your theory, eh?

I love your star theories. Again a good one.

only caveat: iridium isn’t so useful in peace :slight_smile: it’s not strictly a theoretical material, and a super heavy element usually is good for only one thing… weaponization…

that being said, you could also argue, the factions are even more evil. instead of giving up fighting each other and holding hands, they established an intergalactic corporate system, international fiscal acknowledgement, and provide us with newer and newer designs to fight, while taking away gold from rich kids who start their own little pack of pilots. so who is really evil, the one who plans or the one who naturally tries to grab opportunities !? :slight_smile:

Next we find out, Gabe Newell is our real emperor.

Well, the Corps make money from war, so it makes sense they’d like to keep the fighting going!

As to the parent factions themselves… the idea that they look after their own isn’t really that strange. Remember, right now they aren’t actually at war with each other - they’re all fighting a personal war against the Cybers and their new alien friends. The frontier is more of a grey area, but even then the conflicts are not so much the three nations fighting, as citizens of those nations fighting without asking for permission from their parents first.

The fact that all three factions fast-track prototypes to the “precursor” sectors also makes sense. After all, in order to build the best ships and modules, a steady stream of iridium is needed. By sending the best ships to secure it, they get more iridium back, which means more and better ships to fight the aliens, which means they are more likely to survive.

It’s worth remembering this might be a zero sum game here; there isn’t necessarily enough iridium to allow all three factions to survive. Is it better to sacrifice one so two can thrive, or cripple all three?

You forgot one small detail:

The Privateer and Shadow pirate factions no longer exist. Sure, their ships do, but what do we see out in Open Space?

Cybers -> Alien Worshipers with modified Jericho Tech

Pirates -> Common Thieves with Shadow Tech

Cartel -> Smugglers with Privateer Tech

Think about that last one. The Privateers who used to work for the Federation are suddenly re-branded as Cartel…

Funny how that fits right in with your theory, eh?

All three factions appear to have changed their nature over time.

Remember that Shadow didn’t necessarily become generic pirates, nor the Privateers members of the Cartel. It’s possible these ships existed in some form or another beforehand, and the false-flag squadrons adopted them later. Alternatively, it could well have been the corps who helped spread superior ship models to the pirates, cartel and so on.

Personally, this is something I’d like to see explored, but I doubt it ever will be. I’d love to know what became of Shadow, the Privateers and the Enclave (the original owners of the Crimson Haze station). While the Cybers were always used as generic pirates in Jericho space, given their new status it seems there’s a niche for the Enclave to return as generic raiders in Jericho territory; bands of ex-Jericho citizens who now see themselves as apart from their homeland, yet they are unwilling to throw their lot in with the crazy Cybers.

given their new status it seems there’s a niche for the Enclave to return as generic raiders in Jericho territory; bands of ex-Jericho citizens who now see themselves as apart from their homeland, yet they are unwilling to throw their lot in with the crazy Cybers.

Of course, you are assuming the Enclave were the rational ones…

What if the reason you didn’t hear much about the Enclave is because they were the ones who were secretly infiltrating the ranks of the Cybers and Jericho military? What if they were the ones secretly infecting ships and pilots with Biomorph DNA, and growing the Alien army? What if they are the ones who truely worshiped the Aliens to begin with?

What if the entire Invasion was orchestrated in part by the Enclave, and the Cybers have finally succumbed to their secret war; turning into brainwashed Bio-servants?

What if they are the Illuminati?

Of course, you are assuming the Enclave were the rational ones…

What if the reason you didn’t hear much about the Enclave is because they were the ones who were secretly infiltrating the ranks of the Cybers and Jericho military? What if they were the ones secretly infecting ships and pilots with Biomorph DNA, and growing the Alien army? What if they are the ones who truely worshiped the Aliens to begin with?

What if the entire Invasion was orchestrated in part by the Enclave, and the Cybers have finally succumbed to their secret war; turning into brainwashed Bio-servants?

What if they are the Illuminati?

That is all.

It seems there’s a niche for the Enclave to return as generic raiders in Jericho territory; bands of ex-Jericho citizens who now see themselves as apart from their homeland, yet they are unwilling to throw their lot in with the crazy Cybers.

Hey. Yeah, I’m here.

Ah! Geez, quiet down a little, please!

Okay, okay. Don’t panic. I heard already.

Ow! I told you to quiet down!

Sorry, alright? I couldn’t tell you earlier.

Yeah, I know. Poor kid’s in over his head.

I mean, I knew those guys he was hanging around with were no good, but Enclave? Police are gonna blow his little Axe to shreds. If the Cybers don’t get him first.

Sorry, but it’s true!

Well, where do you think I’m going? It’s not like I go to the orbital station when I want to buy groceries!

I had to pick up a ship-to-ship radio and a hacking module! Bartle, woman. Can’t rush a launch.

What, you think I want to go in there solo? This is as quick as it gets!

Alright, alright! Already got my crew installing the modules. My finger’s on the neural link activation.

This call is the last thing I have to finish. Wish me luck.

Heh. Okay, then.

See you on the other side.

"Next time, on Star Theory:

Is JPHack a hoax? What really are in those sweet rolls? Tune in next time to see if Sweet Rolls are the food of the Illuminati…"

Arch being the current leader in sector control makes me the biggest offender of this massive pirate conspiracy… 

I’VE BEEN EXPOSED!! JASANQUINN’S STUNNING REVELATIONS HAVE SHOWN THE MASSES MY TRUE FORM… _ NUCLEARHITLER!!! _

NuclearHeil confirmed

Heil Nuke! Heil Nuke!

BUT

How do pirates and cartel get their backup so darn fast? 

-you go to the sector-

-you blow up 4 elite ships that attack you-

-2 minutes later same ships with same guns AND SAME VOICES jump in-

They must have secret bases, because Fort Muerto is not large enough to hold all those ships!!!

They must have a death star!

Or a borg cube!

or tardis!

TARDIS?!

[intensity intensifies]

Arch being the current leader in sector control makes me the biggest offender of this massive pirate conspiracy… 

I’VE BEEN EXPOSED!! JASANQUINN’S STUNNING REVELATIONS HAVE SHOWN THE MASSES MY TRUE FORM… _ NUCLEARHITLER!!! _

NuclearHeil confirmed

You only have 1 sectore more than us! And we have it splitted between Jericho and The Empire, wich means influence in a larger area (we even have the famous Blackwood Shipyard)!

We are the evilest.