Star Conflict Computer Builds

I didn’t think the r9 290 were that “old” :slight_smile:

2 hours ago, RennieAshII said:

I didn’t think the r9 290 were that “old” :slight_smile:

Yup they are, 3 years old and 2 “and an half” generations behind Rx series. 

8 hours ago, Spongejohn said:

That is linux and amd/nvidia poor driver and kernel optimization: SADLY.

On win10 my 7870 (which is worst than your’s by far) goes from 80 min to 250 fps with everything maxed except MLAA @2x. Even while recording game sessions.

They said the last kernel and closed s. Drivers have improved the situation, have you already updated both of them? I’m just courius, since it’s been a while I don’t mess with linux on my main rig.

P.s. rx460 is on par and even worst than a 280x

It is not only the drivers fault, Left 4 Dead runs flawlessly as fast as under windows and has no stuttering like SC, The last time I was testing SC under Linux and Nvidia was years ago with a 3.x kernel and it was running nearly as good as in windows but it was on my netbook with a gtx 540m and am i5 2xxx.

On my Desktop I was running 4.4.x and got these unstable framerates (was around 2 month ago) and I don’t have Star Conflict installed on any of my Linux sytems and I have only 10GB free space ![:D](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/006j.png “:D”)

I will make some test when my new harddrive arrives

9 hours ago, Spongejohn said:

You know what “dual channel” is? 

Of course,its a technology  that increases the data transfer rate between the DRAM memory and the memory controller by adding more channels of communication between them.

1 hour ago, xXThunderFlameXx said:

Of course,its a technology  that increases the data transfer rate between the DRAM memory and the memory controller by adding more channels of communication between them.

Good boy, that’s the reason people build their rig to actually use it. So even if you go for “only” 8 gb: buy 4+4 ram-sticks, you can add 4+4 later or even change them entirely (ram is cheap, to the point you could even download it! :P)

Just now, Spongejohn said:

Good boy, that’s the reason people build their rig to actually use it. So even if you go for “only” 8 gb: buy 4+4 ram-sticks, you can add 4+4 later or even change them entirely (ram is cheap, to the point you could even download it! :P)

but still,its ddr4 so its not THAT slow,it runs at 2133Mhz too so yeah.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1349-ram-how-dual-channel-works-vs-single-channel/Page-3

Or check the video, if you as all the “youngster” prefer it ![:p](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/004.png “:p”)

10 hours ago, Spongejohn said:

The problem with actual Amd Cpu is that they “gived up”.

New cpu line from amd will come late this year and if the price will be right it will have awesome performance x $. But atm, buying any cpu from AMD is a waste, APU ok (expecially the new ones on AM4 socket which is already compatible with incoming new gen), if you need an “office” pc or a multimedia center. 
The fact is the new i3 cpus (not the g4400) on single core performance are better or on par with any FX out there. The price is close and also the whole system, since the chipset is old, is outdated (no ddr4, old pci ex, no native usb3 or sata 3).

On gpu side instead, rx480 8gb and 1060 6gb are on par, the choice really depends by the price (and atm the prices are nuts, both sides, so if you find a special offer: take whatever offer the best compromise). Why I specified the ram? 'cause both gpu have different specs with lower ram as I already said. (Yes even the rx 4gb have diff specs than the 8gb, but at least it is a little downclock on memory (- 2/3% less perf.), not like the “bait” 1060 3gb  which have 10% less “core power” than a regular 1060 and the same name). Btw during time both have done such bs…

On SC or any other FPS I would never use Vsync, even if my gpu is able to handle it, the fear of getting imput lag while I pew pew is the reason for me to let the fps and power drain runs free ![:p](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/004.png “:p”) 

But I get what you mean, you wanted to show a “minimum requirements” to let Sc be good looking and smooth. But tbh that combo g4400 and 950 got me chills ![:p](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/004.png “:p”)

nice post! but even the g4400 can stand a fx 63xx 6 core cpu. See below

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Pentium-G4400-vs-AMD-FX-6350

http://imgur.com/ucyc27O

Linux Rating:

http://imgur.com/YbcNud6

Gaming Rating:

http://imgur.com/5Q9ffxy

1 hour ago, AnunnakiHunters said:

nice post! but even the g4400 can stand a fx 63xx 6 core cpu. See below

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Pentium-G4400-vs-AMD-FX-6350

http://imgur.com/ucyc27O

Linux Rating:

http://imgur.com/YbcNud6

Gaming Rating:

I see no FX cpu beated by the g4400 in those bench ![:)](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/001j.png “:)”)

The A10 etc series are the APU, those are meant for office use, multimedia stuffs and cheap gaming @ 720p max (which guess what… Is what ps4 and xbox are both using, infact they run mostly at 30fps@720p upscaled to 1080p… rubbish). They are an all in one chip: cpu plus an integrated half decent gpu (yes also intel’s have such, but the performance of the integrated gpu from intel is next to zero), also those are old models.

It is true that it beats any equivalent amd cpu with same price (880k), but not the FX series, also apart games relying on old engine, pretty much with only 2 cores and even no hypertreading: it will cause a stutter-fest.

So for cheap gaming: take a new I3 ![:p](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/004.png “:p”)

I know the current AMD CPUs are basically extremely outdated at this point. So I bumped the cost up $10 and gave the rig a Skylake i3 but I had to scale back to stock cooling. If AMD pushes out Zen correctly, I think we can replace the i3 with whatever the mid-tier Zen CPU is. Shouldn’t be too hard. Rig’s still in the ~$600 sweet spot though, just a bit more expensive.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($110.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Crucial Sport LT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($40.98 @ Directron) 
Storage: PNY CS1311 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.49 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 470 4GB Gaming X Video Card  ($199.88 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($45.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF120 Red 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan  ($11.82 @ Amazon) 
Total: $609.12
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-09 11:52 EDT-0400

On 10/8/2016 at 9:18 PM, Spongejohn said:

The problem with actual Amd Cpu is that they “gived up”.

New cpu line from amd will come late this year and if the price will be right it will have awesome performance x $. But atm, buying any cpu from AMD is a waste, APU ok (expecially the new ones on AM4 socket which is already compatible with incoming new gen), if you need an “office” pc or a multimedia center. 
The fact is the new i3 cpus (not the g4400) on single core performance are better or on par with any FX out there. The price is close and also the whole system, since the chipset is old, is outdated (no ddr4, old pci ex, no native usb3 or sata 3).

On gpu side instead, rx480 8gb and 1060 6gb are on par, the choice really depends by the price (and atm the prices are nuts, both sides, so if you find a special offer: take whatever offer the best compromise). Why I specified the ram? 'cause both gpu have different specs with lower ram as I already said. (Yes even the rx 4gb have diff specs than the 8gb, but at least it is a little downclock on memory (- 2/3% less perf.), not like the “bait” 1060 3gb  which have 10% less “core power” than a regular 1060 and the same name). Btw during time both have done such bs…

On SC or any other FPS I would never use Vsync, even if my gpu is able to handle it, the fear of getting imput lag while I pew pew is the reason for me to let the fps and power drain runs free ![:p](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/004.png “:p”) 

But I get what you mean, you wanted to show a “minimum requirements” to let Sc be good looking and smooth. But tbh that combo g4400 and 950 got me chills ![:p](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/004.png “:p”)

LOL, how can you stand the tearing? V-sync is great for that. ![:D](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/006j.png “:D”)

Either way, I’d just run borderless windowed mode or enable NVidia’s Fast Sync to have the best of both worlds.

Then if you wanted an AMD Only build:

BTW…I would never recommend a build like this…

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($84.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88X+ Killer ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($100.91 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($41.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Dell Small Business) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 470 4GB Gaming X Video Card  ($199.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case  ($45.42 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $723.27
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-10 13:57 EDT-0400

3 minutes ago, HBZK100 said:

LOL, how can you stand the tearing? V-sync is great for that. ![:D](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/006j.png “:D”)

Either way, I’d just run borderless windowed mode or enable NVidia’s Fast Sync to have the best of both worlds.

You don’t get screen tearing normally when you have a high framerate… atleast not when your pc monitor is not from the last century

Just now, John161 said:

You don’t get screen tearing normally when you have a high framerate… atleast not when your pc monitor is not from the last century

I guess it depends on what game engine it is, because in Portal 2 I get lots of frame tears at 200+fps.

I have a fast 42 inch plasma tv @1080p and 60hrz max.

Sc and most of the game I play I can set them to stay above 60 fps so I have no tearing at all. When a game is not able to maintein a stable 60+ i just set from drivers 58fps as max.

On the other topic: no one wanted a full amd config here ( expecially one with that poor cpu). People should choose what can give them the best performance according to their budget without any prejudice and/or 'cause of “fishing” marketing.

Let’s escalate this a bit.

Wanna play Star Conflict in VR or at 4K resolution? Look no further:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($324.95 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H75 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($74.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($169.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($143.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($119.73 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card  ($425.56 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition 62.7 CFM  120mm Fan  ($17.99 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM 78.7 CFM  140mm Fan  ($12.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1555.14
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-11 00:16 EDT-0400

On ‎09‎.‎10‎.‎2016 at 5:42 PM, Spongejohn said:

I see no FX cpu beated by the g4400 in those bench ![:)](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/001j.png “:)”)

The A10 etc series are the APU, those are meant for office use, multimedia stuffs and cheap gaming @ 720p max (which guess what… Is what ps4 and xbox are both using, infact they run mostly at 30fps@720p upscaled to 1080p… rubbish). They are an all in one chip: cpu plus an integrated half decent gpu (yes also intel’s have such, but the performance of the integrated gpu from intel is next to zero), also those are old models.

It is true that it beats any equivalent amd cpu with same price (880k), but not the FX series, also apart games relying on old engine, pretty much with only 2 cores and even no hypertreading: it will cause a stutter-fest.

So for cheap gaming: take a new I3 ![:p](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/004.png “:p”)

is right but in the gaming Benchmark the g4400 is only 5 % behind the fx6xx. i use the g4400 and the fx63xx. is no difference in most games. the only Problem are still games like farcry 4 which asks for more than 2 cores… For all ohter games g4400 is fine and for sure no stutter-fest.:slight_smile: i3 is aprox 20% faster but 20% are not a reason to use double $ for it.if more then 50 fps 20 % less would be still 40 fps. far enough for me.  

Guys, your rigs are way too powerful for good old SC)

5 hours ago, CinnamonFake said:

Guys, your rigs are way too powerful for good old SC)

My original one isn’t. ![:p](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/004.png “:p”) 

But yeah no kidding. Even something like this would be a tad overkill:

CPU: Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($56.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($45.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 460 4GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card  ($110.49 @ Amazon) 
Case: NZXT Source 210 Window ATX Mid Tower Case  ($44.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($42.49 @ Amazon) 
Total: $390.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-11 11:27 EDT-0400

This is one of the only games that has a perfectly balanced game engine. Not too much eye candy to hurt visibility and not too low amount of eye candy for it not to be pleasant. Though I hope textures get a buff soon (I’ve got 6GB of vram).