Ship Characteristic - Rank Bonus in PvP

For reasons most of us already know but might not be able to accept it yet; the developers added a way for lower rank pilots and their ships to battle with elite pilots of the highest rank, to compensate they gave the ships characteristics of a rank 17, but let’s be honest; that is  NOT   the case.

PROBLEM:

• Pilots looking to improve their stats are  abusing  the ranking system by using low rank ships to emerge superior.
    • Ships include;
      • Archelon
      • Stingray
      • Cutter
      • Ghost(focusing)
      • Blood Tormentor
        • Almost all other low rank(<r9) are being used as well and it gets worse the lower you go.

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS

• Add a system that monitors the pilots skill and ships currently unlocked and deny the rank bonus if they choose to use lower ranks
    • This would ensure the pilots trying to abuse the rank bonus system cannot as they have higher ranks unlocked.
      • Buffer ~3/4 ranks so R17 would be stopped at R13 and below R13 bonus would not be applied.
    • Pilots that actually are low rank would be granted the buff.
  • Remove the bonus entirely
    • Possibly the easiest system, this would make it impossible for anyone to abuse it yet it leaves the actual low rank pilots weak.
      • Fix would be to remove low ranks from R17 PvP
        • Add tiers once again but 3
          • 1-8 9-13 13-17
            • subject to change drastically 
  • Add the bonuses for non-premium ships only
    • All the ships mentioned above are premium, with unique modules such as Radiation Converter for Archelon and we all know Premiums get a lot more modules than their standard versions. 
  • Add the bonus if they are constantly killed
    • after 5 deaths(not suicides or crashes) the pilot receives the bonus
  • Add the bonus if they do not have a sufficient team;
    • 1v1 - 3v3  would get it but 5v5 and on would not
      • Subject to change
  • Add the bonus to a ship from the start but remove it after a limit of kills
    • 4 to start(I’ve seen a cutter get 20) 

Leave your comments below and vote please

Thanks! 

Low rank ships have gained additional passive slots. They also benefit from the full set of crew slots depending on the max rank ship in the battle. I see why that system was introduced in the first place, but all these changes make it obsolete in my opinion.

The fact that (many, not all of them) premium ships are objectively superior to standart ships is another problem.

afaik they got changed a lot. for me the biggest problem is the lack of transparency.

but so far i think the bonuses are a lot weaker, than early on. and imho it works quite well.

anyway

5 hours ago, Snerpes said:

the developers added a way for lower rank pilots and their ships to battle with elite pilots of the highest rank

this thought pattern is completely wrong.

higher rank ships are not thought to be for “higher ranked players”. the developers didnt add this to make players still unlocking ships stronger against vets.

for that, multiple skill based queues were introduced.

instead developers added this, to make all ships part of the game, and the game less about high rank is better. and in fact, as many have noted, this is the game design, they should have gone for in the first place (so more mwo, less wot). why have 200 ships in a game, if in the end, once you mastered most of them, all you are supposed to fly is the highest ranks?

so to make it clear: the rank bonuses are actually also thought for vets , so they can bring the low rank ships in the hard queues against high rank ships, instead of farming players in lower ranks.

so, the problem of high ranked vets used lower rank ships to farm less skilled players was a problem of the past system. with this new one, they are not able to do so.

how do you think balance can be achieved in such a situation?

having ranks in the first place is a cheap trick to make you grind so you can get an edge. then you unlock a better ship, and guess what, you see there are still better ones. once you reach the top, usually, you stop enjoying the game, because you learned to play it for the wrong reasons. its bad game design on purpose to make you play for unlocks instead of playing the game for its content.

conflict has shown, it has the potential of keeping a player base that is interested in playing despite unlocking stuff, or hamstering resources.

5 hours ago, Snerpes said:

Pilots looking to improve their stats are  abusing  the ranking system by using low rank ships to emerge superior.

also none of these ships actually are so strong beceuase they abuse the ranking system, they just got modules and options which currently minmax their abilities, and all of them would be pretty strong ships without the system aswell. especially ships like the stingray, which in the past could play in t3 and t4 but was overpowered in both until it got nerfed. with regen modules it got back a playstyle, many old players are really good in.

but these problems are a problem of the new modules, not the rank bonus system. the stingray is still made of paper. you can just aswell play the joker, with a similar fit, and go toe to toe with a stingray.

and to note some of your solutions from a game design perspective:

• giving the bonus to players who get killed will get you exactly that: players suiciding to get that bonus. 

• denying the rank bonus to experiences pilots: totally misunderstanding the purpose of the system aside, this will result in people figuring out which rating to keep.

• removing bonus on kills: will screw statistics, and broken ships will never get fixed. also player simply switches to other ship.

besides, cutter is a r12 ship, which can abuse the latest weaponry best. the bonus isn’t the big difference. 

• adding them to non-premium ships only shows, there is something wrong with how the new modules are distributed, not the rank bonus. there are premium ships which are not uber strong, and it would be quite unfair to them.

you are beating the wrong horse.

again, not saying, i would not prefer some more transparent solution. e.g. add all bonuses visibly and permanently to all chassis, and balance from there.

I’m for total remove of rank bonuses.

hypothetical; 

if I’m using Leonina in the current system I will always win against myself in Berserker.

Both ships can use the same modules same weapons and so on…

It is crap to give low-rank ships bonus and yes it can be abused as hell.

The best solution was and still is ranked tiers but of course,

due to many mistakes made in the development of this game in the past few years player bases is sinking all time so only solution that devs could think about was to marge Tiers.

10 hours ago, g4borg said:

higher rank ships are not thought to be for “higher ranked players”. the developers didnt add this to make players still unlocking ships stronger against vets.

True, I see r17 spikes flying straight. 

so to make it clear: the rank bonuses are actually also thought for vets , so they can bring the low rank ships in the hard queues against high rank ships, instead of farming players in lower ranks.

No they are not, if you can play well in a ship you should not reduce the rank you are flying to farm your account. Rank bonuses are for new pilots only because they let them in t5 pvp  

• giving the bonus to players who get killed will get you exactly that: players suiciding to get that bonus. 

No I should of added, nothing that you can do to yourself can give it to you. 

besides, cutter is a r12 ship, which can abuse the latest weaponry best. the bonus isn’t the big difference. 

Yes, it is. Cutter with Decon is xxxx overpowered. Watch DeletedD 3 shotting Project with kinetic resistance, then going again with shrap, failing, rf blasters, failing, it is far too OP to be used and the rank bonus makes it worse.

Joker with railgun in t5 against jaguar dies in ~3 seconds, cant get away. Guard patriarch gets 340 to the shield with 150 resistance, dies quickly. This amount of damage is xxxx!