Sector Conquest: Formulas/Algorithms

Can someone shine some light onto how all this works? 

The set up of the game leads towards the idea that in a sector conquest battle, everyone on one team is alligned for say, Empire, and the entire other side is aligned for say, Federation. But that does not seem to be the case, considering that people of a corp that is declared for a faction can face each other in a sector conquest battle. Asking teammates what faction they are with seems to support the idea that its more random and less faction vs faction. 

This brings up some questions;

-How is victory for one faction or another computed? 

-Are the teams completely randomized between the two factions competing for that sector?

-If my team has 4 Empire players and 8 Federation players, and me and the 3 other empire players top score, did we just help the other faction by winning the match? 

I like the idea of sector conflict, but if whether or not my (or any other player for that matter) contribution towards winning the match is overshadowed by random team assignment when it comes to deciding whether or not my faction gained sector control from the match - then what’s the point of the game mode? 

So basically:

-What is the formula that determines team placement (or is it random)

-What is the formula that determines which faction won each battle - and how does that contribute to each faction’s sector control percentage

^ I agree completely. Was in a game where a squad was on my team, and then the next game, they were on the other team. No point in conquest if your team doesn’t even represent the ‘faction’ you’re part of (and to be honest, what’s the point of having factions in this game when all other game modes AREN’T faction based).

Also, I feel that the new conquest mode seems to be more of a visual gimmick. In the end, we’re still being instanced into a random game mode, and the win or loss doesn’t seem to give much of an ‘overall reward’ towards whether your own faction has taken control over a zone; I mean sure, you see the “50.7% vs. XX.X%” against an opposing faction, but that doesn’t signify anything by the time you log off and the zones were the same compared to when you came on. There really isn’t a large incentive to play conquest compared to pre-patch (if you’re going into the same game modes for longer queue up in conquest, might as well have a shorter queue time in arcade).

I believe it functions similarly to how pvp B rankings worked, where you are given ‘points’ from being placed in the top 5 of your team with the condition of victory. Similarly If you or any of your corp mates are given the top 5 score you are given a score for that location on the galactic map. Corps with a combine score that is higher to that of the others would take control of the territory once the timer for that contested territory goes out. This is also dependent on faction, as those aligning themselves with a certain faction would effect the conflict.

An example would be, I and 3 other corp mates go into a contested region. My corp faction is federation, we gain many wins and are competing for the ownership of that part of the map with other teams of the same set faction. We made it on top, and at the same time we shifted the balance of power between the two contested factions. When the timer ends, thanks to my squad and the corp who contributed. My corp owns that sector.

The matches all function the same as a standard arcade game, as what causes the changes in the galactic map are the wins/loss, top 5, and allied faction. Its not just one battle but its a series of battles that pushes you to compete not only with others in the same faction but with players assigned to the opposing faction. The game does not seem to put you in teams based on which faction you are aiding, as my corp attempted a 3 squad queue and one of the squads were pitted against the other two.

The matches all function the same as a standard arcade game, as what causes the changes in the galactic map are the wins/loss, top 5, and allied faction. Its not just one battle but its a series of battles that pushes you to compete not only with others in the same faction but with players assigned to the opposing faction. The game does not seem to put you in teams based on which faction you are aiding, as my corp attempted a 3 squad queue and one of the squads were pitted against the other two.

Yeah, I think you’re right.

Too bad, I think a lot of people were hoping this would provide an opportunity for corp v corp warfare (ie, corps allied for Empire vs corps allied for Federation vs corps allied for Jericho) with independents to flesh out the rosters, but instead we got arcade with a choice as to what ranking list our victories count towards. 

Yeah our Corp Squads also always get matched against each other.

Since this is the case, the purpose of a corp siding with a faction is totally senseless and it renders sector conquest to just arcade games.

I hope a Dev could enlighten us and and give us some pointers to:

-whether it is random teamplacement

-what the plans with sector control are

Also a way to have a more dynamic experience with conquering is maybe lowering the timer to 2 hours, or let us attack vairous other sectors.

Yes. Please more info on the direction of Sector Conquest.

Control seems to be a popularity contest. Was not surprised to log in and see federation controlling the most sectors, given the pre-0.8.0 faction victory numbers that used to be displayed above your ship roster (as I remember, numbers were around 9k Empire, 13k Fed, 9k Jericho, could be wrong though). 

Not that it matters though, been having the fastest cues I’ve ever experienced at both T3 and T4. If that means having a completely arbitrary territory control system, so be it.

Gladly sacrifice that for quicker game placement. 

Its not physics… Corps leaders are the only ones who can ally the corporation to a faction, and most of them or the most active ones chose federation.

Its not a complicated system, as it was in the game before the patch, but now its just a random select map which put you in arcade games which determines the contestant percentage of the sector.

I think Sector Conquest should be changed so that each team has only ships from one faction on it, rather than having mixed allegiances. As it is, it sort of makes me wish for my own teammates to fail if they aren’t in my faction, which defeats the purposes of teamwork (which they are trying to make more important).

Gotta admit, with no Corp Allegiance, nor information on any benefit/penalties of Sector Conquest, nor any clear idea on how my participating in the battle will alter the overall conflict, Sector Conflict looks like a graphical overlay… and that’s it.

I’ve fought in the Jericho battles in my Jericho Ships with my Jericho Subfaction Contracts and won, only to see the percentages are even worse (for Jericho) immediately after exiting and re-launching.  I’ve also seen them go up, or stay the same regardless of what I do or what the battle outcome is.

I’m keen to see it develop into something in the future.

Actually, I’m keen to see it develop into anything in the future.  Because right at the moment… Not so much