Poll on wings size for updated 'Sector Conquest'

These extended sizes, as Antibus said, for SQ only, I don’t think MM in SQ has any logic to it except to put people from same Faction on the same side it doesn’t specifically look for a squad to put on an enemy side, only problem is that if you queue as 8 man you will have to wait until it finds 8 opponents, where if you queue as 4 and with current player base there is a much higher chance to find a game.

Agreed. 

I find if amusing the in game the poll lists “don’t care” as having the highest percentage even though it’s at the bottom, proof that people actually look at the polls even if they don’t understand.

I put 8 in game, but then I wasn’t sure what the devs meant.  The reason for 8 is simply for corp vs corp matches that aren’t tiny and more likely to be imbalanced.  More players on a team tends to help balance.  I guess it really depends on if it’s an eight man squad vs an eight man squad or an eight man squad against a random group.  Two four man squads vs an eight man squad might be ok, but much further would be unnecessarily imbalanced.  At the same time there’s the population issue, and getting 12 man squads together on a regular basis.  Maybe someone from one of the larger corps who visits the forum can give an idea of how many logged in players there are at a given time.  If the 150 member corps would have trouble fielding a poorly formed 12 man squad, then it’ll really show the viability of a 12vs12 sector conquest.

I do hate polls like these, when we tend to just wonder “ok, what are you really thinking?”  This one isn’t as bad as the coil mortar poll at least, I didn’t even vote in game on that one.

Right now, this concept is simply not worth implementing. You’ll get one group of eight-to-twelve people in queue for an hour, and then matchmaking will be over because they’ll have missed the fight. It’s taking 20+ minutes to get into a match as a lone pilot; why do you believe the game can handle squads of this size?

If you radically overhauled SQ so that T3 was viable, this would be a great addition… but it’s not, and you won’t, so this is a waste of resources.

Im thinking they need to scrap the current system in favor of a new simple system and one that takes into account SR more accurately. Should take about a month to make…lol. 

I would think 12 would be best, since the matchmaker would find another game with a squad of equal size.  However, since the matchmaker would MOST LIKELY not work in that case, it may be better to make it 8.  If 12 would work, your whole team would be able to communicate effectively, which is what this game is all about.

If, for instance, only 10 people were in the squad, though, the matchmaker would find a game with a +/- 1 squad size on the opposing team.  12 could match with 12 or 11 squad sizes, 11 could match with 12, 11, or 10 squad sizes, 10 could match with 11, 10, or 9 squad sizes, etc.

Thoughts?

***Also, there is the potential to have squads of 2, but I feel that the matchmaker should always try to keep a squad in a game with other squads.  For instance, that squad of 2 would be playing in a game where every player in the game is in a squad of some size within 1 of their own size.  In this case, that squad of 2 could be in a game with 3 squads of 2 and 2 squads of 3, or any combination.

Is this still planned?

Would be awesome if it gets implemented. 

Under the new circumstances (faster MM) I would recommend a Wing-Size of 8 for starters. 

I HOPE :slight_smile: :yes_yes:

I can’t say a thing, but this is still plan of the dev team for 2014.

Coming a little late to this discussion. but going to throw my two cents in anyway. 

Up until SQ, as far as i know squad size is limited to 4. Ideally through the course of getting to end game either you meet 3 other people to play with or you join a corp.

The big problem with wing size atm is that the population is too small to support large wings. We can hope the population gets bigger once the game exits OBT, but there is a possibility that won’t happen. more than likely this will remain as a niche title. (disapointing, given how fun the game is. I’ve gotten 5-6 of my friends to join in and play. but that doesn’t mean t hey will stick with it and even reach endgame)

There are a couple of design flaws that really inhibit a healthy end-game. 

1. the grind to even get there. 

It takes too damn long to get to T5. even if you rush through one line on one corp it takes a while. and if you do this, your knowledge of the game will be so handicapped you are going to be a big liability to your team. 

1. lack of social interactions.

most people don’t talk before, during, or after matches. you  might see someone a lot. but in general i’m either getting my xxxx kicked by the same guy over and over or i’m kicking someone’s xxxx over and over. 

1. Lack of population

This is partly because of point 1. there just aren’t a lot of people ready for end-game. and because it takes so long to get there, many will stop playing before they can really see the truth depth of the game. 

1. accessibility to SQ

This being said, wing size of 4, 6, or 8 make the most sense to me. and I don’t mean only one of those. i mean all 3. at the same time. 

if SQ matches are forced into 12 v 12. MMing has the option of mixing 8 man squads with a 4 man, 3 4man, or 2 6man. as the population grows, this could be increased to 24v24 and the addition of 12 man wings. but only if the population gets large enough to support this. with the current population, i do no tthink the game can support anything above 8man wings. 

a seperate queue can be made for ‘solo’ flying or duo flying. with matches that are 6v6 or 8v8. all things considered, the likelihood of 2 people being able to carry a team of 6 or 8 is low. so even if 3/4 2man squads are against 6/8 solo, it likely won’t be too uneven. given the amount of knowledge the average person in SQ should have. 

To help promote end-game, there should be more incentive to form squads in earlier tiers. and there should be infrastructure in place (other than the global chat) to find ‘static’ groups to fly with. I don’t know what that looks like. maybe it’s PvE on PvP maps. maybe it’s more robust tutorials coupled with credit/synergy incentives for squads. maybe it’s a combination of things. but as i’ve  been grinding out other factiosn to higher tiers to improve my choices of ships for higher content i’m noticing many pilots, especially in lower tiers, do not realize the importance of team work, or simply don’t care. 

Some suggested 2 separate Qs for SecCon. 

Novice Sec Con - Ranks 7-11

Advanced Sec Con - Ranks 11-15

In this way you can get more people in, but the Novice Sec Con has a bit less rewards…or something. 

In this way you can get more people in, but the Novice Sec Con has a bit less rewards…or something. 

If it’s end game content it’s end game content… novice end game mode makes no sense… =/

making something like this is essentially coming back when “Sec Con map” was affected by regular PvP and was divided into tiers.