OC Secret Projects

I was thought-experimenting with a friend about what Jericho’s Secret Project Guard would be, and thought it might be cool to get people’s opinions on their wants and desires for their secret projects.

While these are all a little more than what we’re likely to get, it’s still cool to think about.

Sketches/Designs/Models are welcome and encouraged. Please try to keep your ideas balanced.

Allow me to start us off with:

Jericho Guard, "Kingpin"

The design is reminiscent of the Inquisitor-class Guard. It has two large dorsal fins starting from behind the engines and running to the mid-back of the ship and has the tips of its wings swept back. In addition, the center of the ship is bulked up a little more to showcase its dominance over the rest of the class. A ship to be feared by foes and respected by peers, the Kingpin is a powerhouse on the battlefield. Where it stands, no foes shall.

Special Module Variants

Raid Phase Shield

Reduces incoming damage of the chosen type by 110 points. Each time it absorbs damage this way, the shield emits a pulse that deals 1% of the received damage to enemy units. The pulse’s range starts at 1500m and increases by 50m with each hit the shield takes, up to 3000m. The range decreases at 50m/s back to the 1500m base stat after it stops taking damage for more than 8 seconds, or if it takes hull damage.

Techs Phase Shield

Reduces incoming damage of the chosen type by 135 points. The shield has a 15% chance to completely absorb any type of attack’s damage. Each time it takes damage and it fails to fully absorb it, the % chance to absorb all damage from the next attack increases by 5%. This resets back to 15% each time an attack is fully absorbed. An absorbed attack will give a readout of ‘0’ to all parties privy to that information.

Feel free to submit your own ideas or comments, I’d love to see them!

I like the Raid shield, but invulnerability is a tricky thing to add. It would have to start with a lower percentage and build slower, as lasers would immediately grant immunity. Say… 5% chance to start then increasing by 3% each hit. Lasers would still give bursts of immunity, but it wouldn’t happen as fast. Things like Rainguns would also increase it quickly. This would become very tactical if players were given this, as they could use player-hit weapons to charge of the percentage to close to 100% and could take an EM torp or Nuke with zero damage. X3

I love the concept and hope it is implemented~

-EDIT-

Also I think the Techs version gives players a choice between offense and defense. Offense damages nearby ships when hit, and defense gives greater survivability and the chance to “dodge” an attack once.

The standard version might be something like +250pts of resistance to selected type, and +35% damage for mains when hit.

Techs version seems a bit of a let-down with just 1% counter-Attack damage, unless you’re hit by something that does TONS of damage that will barely do much, but show nearby tacklers. Maybe 3-7%?

#Double-PostMadness

I was thinking the Empire LRF would look like a large cylinder with 6 inverted “fins” on the -back- of it and one MASSIVE engine that simply glows brighter with afterburns. It would get slimmer towards the front, but not like a cone. More in segments. The “fins” look like (fig.1) but sharper and… I’ll just make a sketch later… There would be one main weapon turret on each fin. The disintegrator comes from a large, menacing “thing” at the front tip of the ship.

Wardens Disintegrator: Deals base thermal damage of 6000 per shot. After the shot hits, it deals thermal damage totaling 1/3 of the hit damage over 10 seconds to the target. Standard RoF.

Legion Disintegrator: Deals base thermal damage of 7000 per shot. After the shot hits, it turns off the target’s modules and burns 250pt/s of energy from the target. Standard RoF.

Standard Disintegrator: Deals base thermal damage of 12000 per shot. No special effects. Slightly faster RoF.

(Fig.1 is totally screwed up here because forums hate text art)

(Fig.1) <<<front ^^^top

_____

|____|\

\ \

| \

\ \

| \

_____ |___|

Wardens Disintegrator: Deals base thermal damage of 6000 per shot. After the shot hits, it deals thermal damage totaling 1/3 of the hit damage over 10 seconds to the target. Standard RoF.

Legion Disintegrator: Deals base thermal damage of 7000 per shot. After the shot hits, it turns off the target’s modules and burns 250pt/s of energy from the target. Standard RoF.

Standard Disintegrator: Deals base thermal damage of 12000 per shot. No special effects. Slightly faster RoF.

What exactly is the upside to using Wardens over Standard? You do less total damage overall and get no RoF bonus. If it did a total of 13000 damage/shot or some other numerical increase (6k on impact and 7k over the next 10 seconds) then the tradeoff is if they can heal out the damage in time. As is, there is no reason to pick it.

I like the Legion Disintegrator, in theory. Taps into the Empire’s ability to fly ECMs. Might be too strong if it shuts modules off AND burns energy, though. And how long does the effect last?

It should have more emphasis on conveying the dread of being sniped, and the thud of impact a little more. You should be  devastated by a sniper shot. It should hit with a resounding noise and have a resonance to match.

If the Wardens Disintegrator literally set your ship on fire, so you saw it burning, that might be cool. Or some other particle effect that showed your ship melting under the heat of the Disintegrator blast. And the Legion Disintegrator sent shockwaves around your ship when it hit.

I would love graphical effects to go with these. But as you know, devs are too busy to care. And the damage over time shot functions like a plasma web. It prevents regen and cloaking. Also deals “collateral damage”. Like a radiation cloud, but more snipery.

And the module shut-down is instant. It isn’t like an ECM module, it just stops modules like guard regenerators and pulsars and engi modules. And the energy drain lasts 10s.

idea for warden’s disintegrator - 15 to 18000 damage. 5% chance to crit at 150% damage, 5 sec reload time, damage has a mini-explosion just big enough to wipe out combat drones, the shock from the impact shuts off all active modules instantly but they can be restarted straight after.

Legion disintegrator idea - deals 9000 damage on impact with 5000 delivered over the next 10 seconds, has a 10% chance to bypass shields by 15% of the instantaneous and burning damage when it hits. Reload time is 2 seconds but turret moves 30% slower than normal to limit spamming moving targets. Targets already affected by the thermal shock don’t get a new debuff until the old one wears off

I’ve been thinking up some ideas for the special modules for a craftable covert ops.

For a reference point, here is the normal plasma web:

Energy Consumption: 54 energy

Recharge: 45 seconds

Shoots a plasma web that deals 3359 thermal damage to the target over 7 sec. - Effective range: 2000m

Thermal damage scales with the ship’s main weapon damage

Armada Plasma Web: 

Energy Consumption: 90 energy

Recharge: 60 seconds

Shoots a plasma web that deals 4500 thermal damage to the target over 5 seconds, and prevents the target from locking on to enemies for 5 seconds - Effective range: 1750m

Vanguard Plasma Web:

Energy Consumption: 65 energy

Recharge: 50 seconds

Shoots a plasma web that deals 2500 thermal damage to the target over 10 seconds and removes your ship from all enemy radars for 5 seconds. - Effective range: 2000m

These are just values I came up with, they probably aren’t balanced, but they definitely could be balanced and work well. Each one incorporates a different aspect of covert ops. Armada incorporates a less-effective white-noise jammer. Vanguard a shorter-duration adaptive camo.

idea for warden’s disintegrator - 15 to 18000 damage. 5% chance to crit at 150% damage, 5 sec reload time, damage has a mini-explosion just big enough to wipe out combat drones, the shock from the impact shuts off all active modules instantly but they can be restarted straight after.

I hope you guys know that a sniper being able to shut down active modules is pretty damn OP. And burning 250 pt/s of energy is just as bad, seeing as basically only commands and frigates with energy regen modules can take that.

I mean, hey, any shield booster, both guard heals, pulsar, mass propulsion inhibitor, EM scattering on other LRFs, tackler engine inhibitor, gunship overdrive, and more could be shut down. And if you make the cooldown reset to 0 right afterwards, well, then the bad sniper who makes two shots the entire match becomes even more of a boon to the enemy team.

I’ve been thinking up some ideas for the special modules for a craftable covert ops.

For a reference point, here is the normal plasma web:

Energy Consumption: 54 energy

Recharge: 45 seconds

Shoots a plasma web that deals 3359 thermal damage to the target over 7 sec. - Effective range: 2000m

Thermal damage scales with the ship’s main weapon damage

Armada Plasma Web: 

Energy Consumption: 90 energy

Recharge: 60 seconds

Shoots a plasma web that deals 4500 thermal damage to the target over 5 seconds, and prevents the target from locking on to enemies for 5 seconds - Effective range: 1750m

Vanguard Plasma Web:

Energy Consumption: 65 energy

Recharge: 50 seconds

Shoots a plasma web that deals 2500 thermal damage to the target over 10 seconds and removes your ship from all enemy radars for 10 seconds. - Effective range: 2000m

These are just values I came up with, they probably aren’t balanced, but they definitely could be balanced and work well. Each one incorporates a different aspect of covert ops. Armada incorporates a less-effective white-noise jammer. Vanguard a shorter-duration adaptive camo.

You might want to make those cooldowns closer to those of white noise and adaptive camo :stuck_out_tongue:

You might want to make those cooldowns closer to those of white noise and adaptive camo :stuck_out_tongue:

They are the way they are for a reason. Longer than the regular plasma arc since they do more. It’s slightly longer than regular white noise since it is only for 5 seconds (against a ship with no proton walls), but it is in combo with more damage than the normal web. Vanguard is shorter than the adaptive camo since the camo is fairly short, although I realized it is too long for the recharge time, I’ll edit that.

Crafted ships are meant to be OP. They are end-game ships and they take forever to make without spending $100 on something as wasteful as contraband. I think all stated ideas are brilliant for modified main modules. I mean, yeah, they will require tweaking, but they’re great!

Crafted ships are meant to be OP. They are end-game ships and they take forever to make without spending $100 on something as wasteful as contraband. I think all stated ideas are brilliant for modified main modules. I mean, yeah, they will require tweaking, but they’re great!

They aren’t meant to be OP, as none of them are. They have significant advantages over the normal R15 variants, as well as the flexibility of making your own build.

Some advantages are as follows:

Mjolnir has far more survivability than the Lightbringer or Spark.

Caltrop is extremely small, and therefore hard to hit.

Octopus has the flexibility to be fast, tanky, and deal good damage (when using attack drones and armada).

If any ship is OP, it is the Wakizashi-AE or the Spark.

the end-game ships are meant to be higher-powered, not over-powered. The modules don’t vary all that much. the suggestions for the disintegrator shutting down modules could work if balanced, it’s mainly to do with the shock of impact resetting some systems. Maybe if it was made a 20% chance to reset one active system or similar it’d be better

Well you need to have a fairly substantial reason for using that variant.

In the case of the Kingpin, both variants give you upside but in exchange you lose quite a bit of shield resistance.

I think that the variants should function that way - some reasonably powerful upside that the module wasn’t capable of before in exchange for something that module becoming worse at its original function.

The numbers themselves can be tweaked, that’s balance stuff and usually very hard to get right on the first try, much less without practical playtesting. What matters is the concept.

Well you need to have a fairly substantial reason for using that variant.

In the case of the Kingpin, both variants give you upside but in exchange you lose quite a bit of shield resistance.

I think that the variants should function that way - some reasonably powerful upside that the module wasn’t capable of before in exchange for something that module becoming worse at its original function.

The numbers themselves can be tweaked, that’s balance stuff and usually very hard to get right on the first try, much less without practical playtesting. What matters is the concept.

i think the concepts for mine and fox’s suggestions apply to this too, more power and a small chance to shut down a substem for an instant but longer reload or less power with a lasting effect that should be balanced to come out with a total damage of under 12000, yet a faster reload. Same DPS (or thereabouts) but slightly different effects, trading off one thing for another

“The Comic Sans Ship” or “The Slicer” (couldn’t think of a name)

It is Jericho guard.

Specials:

Regular special:

Adds 150 resistance to chosen damage type, adds 25% damage increase if taking damage of the chosen type.

Raid special:

Adds 175 resistance to chosen damage type, no damage increase if taking damage.

Techs special:

Adds 50 resistance to all damage types, and an extra 100 points to the chosen damage type.

Extra special:

Changes the title above the ship into the Comic sans font, and increases font size by 100%. Adds an additional 75 points of resistance to the chosen damage type.

Design:

First desgn concept, still needs side views, and bottom, front, back, etc.

image-667fea.gif

Great ideas for the guard, although the Techs one is a bit OP. I like the base 50 resistance to all damage types, but it shouldn’t add 100 to the chosen damage type, maybe 75 or so. So it’s balanced.

Great ideas for the guard, although the Techs one is a bit OP. I like the base 50 resistance to all damage types, but it shouldn’t add 100 to the chosen damage type, maybe 75 or so. So it’s balanced.

But remember, you don’t have the damage increase, but yeah I do agree, maybe 80 points extra?

But remember, you don’t have the damage increase, but yeah I do agree, maybe 80 points extra?

I would say 75 is plenty. Since you are getting a constant 50 to each damage type, 75 balances that out, being less than the standard 150, but still balanced.

Cool ideas. Raid seems interesting since you trade damage for resist, not sure if the tradeoff is too good or not good enough.

The Techs shield does a little too much, I think. Maybe make the all-around resist 25 points instead or reduce the current resist to 80. That’s still pretty good.