New gamemode: MOBA style game mode

Both teams have 3 sub towers (Basically beacons A, B and C) and one large tower.

Towers need to be captured in order. From A to B to C. Once all towers are captured, the Large tower is open for attack.

These small towers actually fire at ships that get too close. So teamwork is required to capture a tower. (just one ship would get destroyed pretty fast).

So, offense and try to get to the other team’s large tower as fast as possible.

Or, defense and try to prevent the other team from getting to yours.

Or making calls as you play. 

Could work, right?

woah, thats interesting

sounds fun but 4 towers is maybe 1 tower too many

Definitely interesting. I’d say beacons instead of towers to make it SC specific.

Is there a reason they need to be captured in order? Would pushing ships off beacon A, for example, require the attacking team to re-capture A > B > C all over again?

My concern is that this type of map may be too complex for folks to grasp w/o detailed instructions (lots of casual SC players) and not viable with a small group of people (often get 3v3 including bots in T3).

if each tower requires > 1 ship to attack, and I assume 1 ship to hold? that means a minimum of 8 ships/team to have sufficient ships to both defend beacons, attack enemy beacons, and attack the large tower (if vulnerable).

Definitely interesting. I’d say beacons instead of towers to make it SC specific.

Is there a reason they need to be captured in order? Would pushing ships off beacon A, for example, require the attacking team to re-capture A > B > C all over again?

My concern is that this type of map may be too complex for folks to grasp w/o detailed instructions (lots of casual SC players) and not viable with a small group of people (often get 3v3 including bots in T3).

if each tower requires > 1 ship to attack, and I assume 1 ship to hold? that means a minimum of 8 ships/team to have sufficient ships to both defend beacons, attack enemy beacons, and attack the large tower (if vulnerable).

You can look at some League of Legends videos on youtube to have an idea of the strategies involved in this kind of game mode.

Not only the beacons would have turrets on it but there should be waves of “creep” ships coming from the main base. Maybe 5 int, or 3 int 2 fighters, not too hard to kill like in pve missions, or even good drones…

In those kind of games tough you upgrade and lvlup during each games. Here it would need a way to balance the gameplay to not have the need of in-game upgrade and levelling. Or maybe the ship wave could upgrade slightly every time you destroy one enemy beacon, or the opposite, the enemy waves lose some strength when they have less beacon to support. Or/and maybe each beacon could gives the team a buff that you lose when it is destroyed.

You can imagine the standard map with 3 lanes/rows of beacons, or the funny ARAM (All Raandom All Mid) mode where there’s just one straight line from one base to the other. 

The objectives would be to crush trough the beacon lines up to the mothership where team spawns and destroy the mothership main canons and/or the shield generator or power supply, etc…

Ideas…

;)wt

Instead of towers how about just make them shield generators.  While the generators are turned on the central beacon is safe from capture.   Once destroyed a shield generator is gone for the rest of the game.  You can also add the flak turrets from PvE as a defensive measure of sorts for the area around each generator.  

Have a total of 3 shield generators for each team with about 1/2 the hitpoints as the T3/T4 PvE missile turrets from the 3rd stage of Hidden Maint Shop.  This way the pace of this game type should be about on par with the others taking about the same amount of time as a combat recon match.   Also having a PvP match where the objective is to destroy environmental objects (i.e. generators, flak turrets, etc) would be a nice mix up to what is already being played.  

Think of it more like an Assault/Defend match from Unreal 3 instead of a Moba.  Key objectives must be destroyed before the main objective (a capturable beacon) can be accessed.  The match winner is determined on who destroys more shield generators or captures the enemy beacon first.

This would actually be pretty cool.

But rather than towers, I’d give each side a Dreadnought/Carrier/Mothership - with 3 missile launchers and a number of flak turrets on each. Much like the PvE mission. Imagine trying to defeat one of those whilst being shot at by enemies. Add in missiles, mines and other evilness and you’ve got something quite interesting.

/signed

yah starbattle!

totally for it.

Wrote blub part before i read all replies and realized, you guys mentioned all.

BLUB;DR.

but yeah, i would also rather have the dreadnaught and some defensive support ships or shield beacons on each side, which have to be destroyed to make the dread easer vulnerable and accessible with each tower you take

Additionally, the dread should have of course better defense/weapons as long as the outer ships are still intact to prevent baserushes, so first take out the covering ships/shieldbatteries, then attack the main ship - or risk assault in.

The dread could have a beacon like core which has to be held for respawn to be active and has to be captured; 

But in any kind of way, would totally agree something like this would work. It would definitely end in longer battles, and it should not come up in a 3vs3.

The most important I find in gameplay in a moba are the ability-trees you unlock with your ship / character, while our shooter has pre-set decks, so of course it would be a bit different in balancing this.