Negative Karma

What exactly is the point of gaining negative karma if you cannot dock on your home station to deposit your loot?

Pirate NPCs don’t join you in battle like the Security Police do, even if you are considered evil.

So why play the pirate? I’ve got to admit, I was kinda looking forward to being a bad guy, and currently the game not only makes it unprofitable, but impossible.

You can dock anywhere with any karma.

Karma is like the thumbs up system. The only point is a warm fuzzy feeling.

I dunno if Dev want to make something that requires positive karma to get or have certain benefits of having positive karma.

I’m not sure

Karma system hopefuly will lead to some restrictions - like for example your faction MAY tolerate you to some extent (like -2 karma level), but every other faction/neutral NPC will be aggresive. Below certain point player should be able to dock only in pirate HQ (this would have to be implemented).

As for now, there are people, sad people, camping on warpgates just to kill everything that goes through is split second, jsut to get negative karma. I like the idea of being able to set a warpgate trap, I love it really, but there has to be a cost, otherwise warpgate gank will be the only logical way to play.

sure we can hope some palyers would prefere “light side” and can actualy guard a system, but seeing how people behave, without any repercusions this will be a sad gankfest.

Karma system hopefuly will lead to some restrictions - like for example your faction MAY tolerate you to some extent (like -2 karma level), but every other faction/neutral NPC will be aggresive. Below certain point player should be able to dock only in pirate HQ (this would have to be implemented).

yes… but karma is global, not aligned to any faction. and there is no pirate hq yet either :slight_smile:

yes… but karma is global, not aligned to any faction.

Indeed, but negative one might prevent changing home stations - not saying it should be like that, but it still could have simmilar negative sides.

But having something like 3-factions rep system would be surely a choice, with ability to switch for positive rated players and ability to pirate for the negative ones. I’m just brainstorming here, but I guess it makes some sense.

I also think karma should be visible somehow - so you know if the player is a pk obsessed pirate right away.

Maybe the player bounty system based on the karma could be an option - for example, a weekly leaderboard for paragon/criminal, that gives increased energy credit rewards for the kill, based on the karma difference.

Maybe the player bounty system based on the karma could be an option - for example, a weekly leaderboard for paragon/criminal, that gives increased energy credit rewards for the kill, based on the karma difference.

Something like this really should not be connected to a leaderboard with rewards attached. Rewards for individual kills: Yes. Leaderboard rewards: No.

I just have a bad feeling that leaderboarding the process will make Open World even more ganky than it already promises to be.

Sorry for the necro, but I did not want to start new thread. Yesterday I received disintegrator hit from a frigate. He was probably thinking he can oneshot me, so I had to return the favour to show him how wrong he was. Strangely enough, I got negative karma for that. I thought I could fight back without reputation loss? I dont mind my karma, but what is the mechanics here? He aggroed on me and was highlighted in red with the skull thingy above him.

Sorry for the necro, but I did not want to start new thread. Yesterday I received disintegrator hit from a frigate. He was probably thinking he can oneshot me, so I had to return the favour to show him how wrong he was. Strangely enough, I got negative karma for that. I thought I could fight back without reputation loss? I dont mind my karma, but what is the mechanics here? He aggroed on me and was highlighted in red with the skull thingy above him.

You have 30 seconds till the aggro disappears. If you spend more than those 30 seconds and he doesn’t fire at you again, you will be the criminal.

But the negative karma for killing one guy is very small. Just kill a bunch of pirates and you will recover it soon.

You have 30 seconds till the aggro disappears. If you spend more than those 30 seconds and he doesn’t fire at you again, you will be the criminal.

But the negative karma for killing one guy is very small. Just kill a bunch of pirates and you will recover it soon.

As a tackler and you use drones, I didn’t check station protection and the drone accidentally hits a friendly npc, I get a 30sec aggro on me but the drone keeps firing and hitting NPC’s (couple of sec later I’ll be a criminal :fed014: ) stupid drone

Thanks for the input. We will make the karma system more important in the future.