Asteroid mining in Eve Online is a point and click affair. Activate modules. Deactivate modules, Check cargo. Boring.
Star Conflict is a combat game that actually requires piloting skill.
There’s talk about making an open world universe for Star Conflict with the possibility of trade and mining.
Here is a suggestion to make asteroid mining skill based
1. First, Watch this video
- notice the asteroids are moving and revolving
2. Drill Point on asteroids
- you can only mine a certain face on an asteroid
- to find the face, you have to have the asteroid ‘locked on’
- mining drill module must have line of sight on that face to collect
- if you lose line of sight, module deactivates
- cooldown timer starts AFTER module deactivates
- so the longer you can maintain line of sight the more efficient the mining Op
3. Difficulty Level
You can vary the difficulty by increasing various factors
Rotation speed of Asteroid
Rotation complexity of Asteroid
Size of Drillable Face (red in picture above)
Frequency of ‘Collider’ asteroids <— they bounce around the map hitting other asteroids and poor miners
— For sake of technical performance, mining asteroids do not move other than rotate on their x,y,z coord —
4. Mining Sequence
a. scan for mining asteroids - not all can be harvested
b. lock on to find drill face - red in picture above
c. orbit asteroid and activate drill module
Skill needed to mine should be about the same as needed to evade a homing missile and have it slam into an obstacle instead of your ship.
probably never gonna happen but thought i’d throw this one out here anyway.