Making fun of the Star Conflict universe.

I was thinking about the things that makes no sense in this game and decided it could be fun to post them. Here a few i was thinking about…

-The game is anti-newtonian physics

Unlike the real world, in SC everything you don’t apply force to wants to stop… Remaining still is the constant of that universe, probably the reason why slowing beams can work. The funny thing though, nobody in that universe thought about using that technology to make ship’s brakes.

-They can create weapons that needs no barrels and cannot miss…

Yet they insist on putting guns with limited firing arcs on their ships. They can make plasma webs, Pulsars, A1M1 (or whatever it’s called), draining beams etc… Why don’t they make ships with those as their main weapons?

-Sensors are extremely short ranged

Yet ships are clearly visible much farther than our stupid sensors can see; we are in the far future but technology still lag behind human sight.

-The gold sensor has 5000 m range and see through walls.

Fleet command really should look into that tech and replace it’s inefficient sensor with those.

-Piracy and pirates are the reason the 3 factions aren’t fighting each others.

Each faction space is overrun by pirates, rogue mercenaries, traitors, bounty hunters, treasure hunters and frequently visited by murderous aliens, no wonder they no longer bother to fight each others (nor ask the player to do so for them). In some areas, pirates seem to own the place, at least until aliens challenge the ownership.

That’s all i have for now, feel free to add your own if you want  :005j: .

I was thinking about the things that makes no sense in this game and decided it could be fun to post them. Here a few i was thinking about…

-The game is anti-newtonian physics

Unlike the real world, in SC everything you don’t apply force to wants to stop… Remaining still is the constant of that universe, probably the reason why slowing beams can work. The funny thing though, nobody in that universe thought about using that technology to make ship’s brakes.

-They can create weapons that needs no barrels and cannot miss…

Yet they insist on putting guns with limited firing arcs on their ships. They can make plasma webs, Pulsars, A1M1 (or whatever it’s called), draining beams etc… Why don’t they make ships with those as their main weapons?

-Sensors are extremely short ranged

Yet ships are clearly visible much farther than our stupid sensors can see; we are in the far future but technology still lag behind human sight.

-The gold sensor has 5000 m range and see through walls.

Fleet command really should look into that tech and replace it’s inefficient sensor with those.

-Piracy and pirates are the reason the 3 factions aren’t fighting each others.

Each faction space is overrun by pirates, rogue mercenaries, traitors, bounty hunters, treasure hunters and frequently visited by murderous aliens, no wonder they no longer bother to fight each others (nor ask the player to do so for them). In some areas, pirates seem to own the place, at least until aliens challenge the ownership.

That’s all i have for now, feel free to add your own if you want  :005j: .

• When you brake the thrusters in the front of your ship activates, so yeah, that is how they brake the ship.

• Those no aiming “weapons” need energy and cooldown so they won’t be a good primary weapon. Primaries don’t use energy or have cooldown, making them much more reliable.

• Have you ever heard about electronic counter measures? RCS? even today, some planes have so little RCS that some radars cannot see them. Or get a lock on them.

• It is too expensive for doing that, that is the reason it cost GS instead of credits.

• Yeah, that is actually true. The factions are in a sort of cold war with their own problems due to pirates, cartel and biomorphs.

• When you brake the thrusters in the front of your ship activates, so yeah, that is how they brake the ship.

I mean it would be much more efficient to use the same tech as the slowing beams/module/missiles to make a ship stop faster than use the ship’s thrusters. Somehow guns, missiles and modules with slowing effects can shave speed of ships extremely fast regardless of how big they are or how efficient their thrusters are.

• Have you ever heard about electronic counter measures? RCS? even today, some planes have so little RCS that some radars cannot see them. Or get a lock on them.

I know about those, but ships in this game don’t seem to use any of those tech; ship size and shape don’t matter to detection range, nor what they are made of. Plus we have absolutely no module that affect how stealthy we are. Besides, we have colorful trails that advertize our presence. 

Unfortunately for science, gameplay trumps the laws of physics every time

Unfortunately for science, gameplay trumps the laws of physics every time

Sometimes it’s because the game designers don’t know any better (few people actually bother to learn physics, and those who do unlean it to grasp more esoteric concepts like relativity and quantum mechanics). It’s also way easier to code a game with fixed coordinates than a game where speed is relative and nothing is trully immobile (in space, everything moves, there is no such thing as being immobile).

You’ve missed out velocity. Star conflict’s universe’s speed limit is 700 m/s… if this is the case, new eden should’ve de-orbited long, long ago

You’ve missed out velocity. Star conflict’s universe’s speed limit is 700 m/s… if this is the case, new eden should’ve de-orbited long, long ago

Relative velocity my friend. You can be in orbit around a planet at 8000 m/s and go back and forth in such orbit. If fuel is not a problem, of course.

Relative velocity my friend. You can be in orbit around a planet at 8000 m/s and go back and forth in such orbit. If fuel is not a problem, of course.

were you to be in orbit around a planet at 8000m/s and decelerate relatively by accelerating retrograde by 700m/s and then stop thrusting at 7300m/s orbital speed, you would de-orbit providing the planet had atmosphere. 8000m/s is likely to be a low orbit which will decay over a period of about 2-4 years anyway and new eden rests over earth, a 700m/s difference is enough to perform permanent aerocapture followed by vicious lithobreaking.

Actually, If new eden rests on the same orbit as the ISS doing the same velocity, 7660m/s average as it is not in a perfectly circular orbit, you would be easily able to drop out of orbit by firing thrusters retrograde at apoapse and hitting 700m/s.

Funny thing is, earth must have some tremendous storms! The ground doesn’t move an inch but the clouds are whizzing by! Must be in geostationary orbit then!

Another few things.

No sound in space

Warp plasma doesn’t harm ship, plasma is hot.

Warp works regardless of orientation apart from warp gates (only exception)

Ships are rediculously off balance with RCS ports and should by any normal law of physics flip around like an injured fish

Ships with no forward thrusters still decelerate

Frigates accelerate faster backwards on sometimes non-existant thrusters than on the huge main engines

There is no fire in a vacuum.

I don’t have a defiler

Ships have speed limits

Things that go up explode and don’t come back down again

Warp gates seem to not care about distance in the slightest but huge gates are needed to propel ships tiny distances in fringe when jericho has a huge gap covered by one regular gate

+1 to getting all these fixed

Kerbal Star Conflict

Another few things.

No sound in space

Warp plasma doesn’t harm ship, plasma is hot.

Warp works regardless of orientation apart from warp gates (only exception)

Ships are rediculously off balance with RCS ports and should by any normal law of physics flip around like an injured fish

Ships with no forward thrusters still decelerate

Frigates accelerate faster backwards on sometimes non-existant thrusters than on the huge main engines

There is no fire in a vacuum.

I don’t have a defiler

Ships have speed limits

Things that go up explode and don’t come back down again

Warp gates seem to not care about distance in the slightest but huge gates are needed to propel ships tiny distances in fringe when jericho has a huge gap covered by one regular gate

Some more:

-Afterburners can be used to slow down while it’s clearly visible they are extra thrusters in the back of the ship.

-Inertia goes where the ship point; no way to flip around and use rear engines to brake.

-Ships in SC are all look before practicality, few would really make sense as warships if shape and firing arcs mattered.

About the sound though. In some other space game they implied sound to be generated by the onboard computer to help pilots awareness. Flying a star fighter would be quite unnerving without some sound cue about what is going on outside…

I wish… In fact i wish some developpers out there actually bother to make a game closer to real space physics; most space games try to make WW2 fighter planes and warships in space. Hardly anyone ever considered how it would really be like, they often set their universe with technologies that circumvent the reality of space to make it more like a 3 dimentional ocean… 

I don’t have a defiler

I don’t, either ;_;

About the sound though. In some other space game they implied sound to be generated by the onboard computer to help pilots awareness. Flying a star fighter would be quite unnerving without some sound cue about what is going on outside…

Odd that you can hear things that you can’t see (normally, or on radar), then :stuck_out_tongue:

So you want me to have a defiler… Heh Heh Heh…

were you to be in orbit around a planet at 8000m/s and decelerate relatively by accelerating retrograde by 700m/s and then stop thrusting at 7300m/s orbital speed, you would de-orbit providing the planet had atmosphere. 8000m/s is likely to be a low orbit which will decay over a period of about 2-4 years anyway and new eden rests over earth, a 700m/s difference is enough to perform permanent aerocapture followed by vicious lithobreaking.

Relative velocities are capped, not absolute ones, it’s what he meant. If you are part of an inertia system, like a planets gravity well, “stopping” is only relative to the object you travel with. Even if in reality you are moving with high speeds through the universe, relatively to the planet you “stopped”, and since the only thing that can affect you is the gravity of surrounding objects, it does not really matter, what your speed absolute to space is; only the relative speeds matter, since you inherit them from your starting point (if you dock out, you dont have to accelerate just to keep up with the station).

if i want to fly away in the direction the planet is coming from in space, from the perspective of the planet, i fly away with 700m/s, even if in reality all I do is reduce my absolute speed i inherited from the station as I docked out.

Anyway, I don’t think that’s earth, I think the planet you see is actually “New Eden”, because the earth is in Empire.

This topic…  :01414:

This game would suck so bad if things were realistic.

The only one I slightly agree with you on is the sensors. They really should be able to detect things through walls, but you’re comparing the spatial scanner with regular sensors. The two do not detect the same thing. The spatial scanner is designed to search for loot, whereas normal sensors search for ships.

A lot of my friends refuse to play this game BECAUSE this game is too arcadish for their taste. More realism doesn’t mean FULL realism… There are aspect of reality that would greatly help this game, like a proper newtonian physic (ie getting away from the submarines physics we have) and projectiles that carry on the momentum of the ship that fires them (few games bother to do that and we end up with weird gameplay that makes little sense), but we don’t need everything that it imply (like no sound in space or invisible lasers). We don’t need realism to go overboard with inconsequential details, just have the big ones that matters.   

A lot of my friends refuse to play this game BECAUSE this game is too arcadish for their taste. More realism doesn’t mean FULL realism… There are aspect of reality that would greatly help this game, like a proper newtonian physic (ie getting away from the submarines physics we have) and projectiles that carry on the momentum of the ship that fires them (few games bother to do that and we end up with weird gameplay that makes little sense), but we don’t need everything that it imply (like no sound in space or invisible lasers). We don’t need realism to go overboard with inconsequential details, just have the big ones that matters.

If this game start catering to your friends, it will lose someone else friends, you can not cater to everyone.

If this game start catering to your friends, it will lose someone else friends, you can not cater to everyone.

I started this thread just to have fun of the quirks of this game, not argue about how great (or bad) the game would be if it was changed. My comments about my friends not wanting to play SC was quite off topic.

I started this thread just to have fun of the quirks of this game, not argue about how great (or bad) the game would be if it was changed. My comments about my friends not wanting to play SC was quite off topic.

my reply ws strictly to this:

The only one I slightly agree with you on is the sensors. They really should be able to detect things through walls, but you’re comparing the spatial scanner with regular sensors. The two do not detect the same thing. The spatial scanner is designed to search for loot, whereas normal sensors search for ships.