Long Range Frigate: Most useless class?

Which FPS game has snipers that are 450 lbs lardasses which take 5 years to waddle their way to a sniper perch with no real way of camoflaging or hiding themselves, with a giant glowing beacon and laser beam for all to see announcing to the entire battlefield exactly where they are, and then barely deal more dps than your average frontline guy with an SMG? Which FPS game has a class with a passive low-level ability that completely blocks any sniper rounds in a 6800m sphere around the objective area?

None I can think of…specifically not this game. If that is an accurate portrayal of your experience in LRF’s, it’s a case of them beyond a doubt not being the ship for you, or you need to hang out with competent pilots using team work. I’m leaning toward gross exageration to back up personal oppinion.

None I can think of…specifically not this game. If that is an accurate portrayal of your experience in LRF’s, it’s a case of them beyond a doubt not being the ship for you, or you need to hang out with competent pilots using team work. I’m leaning toward gross exageration to back up personal oppinion.

What part of what I said was a “gross exageration” or “personal opinion”?

LRFs share with Guard frigates the dubious honor of being the slowest ships in the entire game, hence the “450 lbs lardass which takes 5 years to waddle its way to a sniper perch”. It has no real way of camoflaging or hiding itself like a real sniper does, particularly the Empire LRF, because of the giant aiming laser visible to half the battlefield and the glowing red “scope flash” that is literally as large as the sun and completely impossible to miss by anyone looking in its direction within about 45 degrees of its target, hence “glowing beacon for all to see anouncing to the entire battlefield exactly where they are”. The Disintegrator cannon deals ~7500 thermal damage every 3.5 seconds with a blue Mk III main weapon equiped, which translates to 2142 dps, and that’s not accounting for inevitable misses on smaller targets at 75%+ of max range. My frontline Engineer with Mk III Pulse Lasers equiped deals 2040 dps reliably not even including extra damage from missiles or Command modules which the LRF obviously isn’t going to be in range of (and I don’t believe even apply to the Disintegrator anyway). The Jericho LRF’s torpedo does even less dps accounting for travel time, hence the “barely deals more dps than the average frontline guy with an SMG”. And finally, a T2 Guard frigate’s Missile Shield module at Mk III can automatically shoot down a Jericho torpedo every 10 seconds - which is faster than the cooldown on the torpedo - within a radius of 3375m (base range is a 2700m radius, but most Guard frigates have a passive range boost for Guard modules) or a ~6800m sphere around the objective if the Guard parks his frigate next to the beacon or captain like he’s supposed to, hence the “low-level ability that completely blocks any sniper round”.

Gonna have to throw my lot in and say that yeah it’s kindof useless.

As much as I’d love to see my guard frigate get a speed boost, really it feels like the Long Range types deserve or need a movement speed increase, as it is I’d rather just use an engie, at least they’re faster than the other frigates and have “decent” survivability that balloons to xxxx levels when you get a mass of them going.

okay i am going to throw out my commet as a LRF peopel seem to not account that deal all that damage in one hit not over a minute akay meaning of hammer i holy agree with the slowness i find my self maxing out a 198m/s witch is jest plain stuiped though fighters wont kill me becuase i eazly tank ym hull with no rill prublems as long as i dont get emped i can take care of 4 fighter in groups of 2 no problem xxxx far as the becon eazily see well you will be amazed how no one bathers to fight you when your more then 8000 metters away lol and we help are team out plent bye forceing people to cover or pushing other targets back i also find myself guarding becons if i can get to them in time but all this requires a team i would like to point in all this is very hard but after 100 games with this ship and tuneing it i find it very fun to use though you wont see me leaveing the battle with very mutch score i eazily do the most damage on the feild with out mutch effor because no one bothers to disterb me when interseptors rush my they meet my rail guns at 6420metters then a mine field as they circle me they take aroun 8k damage befor they even kill my 6k shield let alone my 18700hull that is resistant 50+ to most damage meaning i can provide so good cover fire and even leave with 3 or 4 kills from idiots but i deal eizly the most damage on the feilds to people shields not i even do damage to fighters now and again as they rush to a battle feild or becon in a straight line 1 shot i take out their sheild even a little bit of hull makeing them have to enter the battle with damage giveing my fighters a uper chance even at 17 rounds a minute if you look at that it like 10 sheild down a minute thats not half bad i am bye no means saying their great to use they kinda need a speed buff and mybe little damage buff but over all i find they can hold them selfs in teir 3 battles with no problem tier 4 is hard but posible and teir 2 is well plain eazy they have their problems but hey i can leave good matches with 8 to 9 kills bad ones with 3 to 4 not many ships can do that all the time

( i will not spell check this i am way to lazy for that read at your own risk)

Now that i have seen enough camper Aces in these that remind me of Ace recons in Bf3 who camp at a mountaintop all the game shooting at things but being 0 help for his team and not even able to get a kill.

Longrange frigates are only then useful when user knows what to shoot at: Primarily engineering type, all frigates. Slowed down or stationary for whatever reason fighters are valid targets too, unless you dont know how to aim on it,which most of you do. If you want to snipe, learn how to hit a moving target first. And most obviously the slow moving guard drones at beacons,you can one shot them. Hereby you must know that when entire enemy doesnt have deployed even a single frigate you wont have any real purpose in that battlefield besides saving as sort of a ‘meatshield’ or an ‘target dummy’ for distraction.

Never try shooting interceptors with the Snipermode,unless he is fool enough to fly closing in to your scope. Both of those situations are, simply put: xxxx.

Never stay in one place for entire game, you will have to reposition as the course of battle takes place,as you will be required somewhere else. Besides that you will get countersniped if you still didnt change position after a frigate killing spree. Oh and whilst we are at it: Dont deploy at the first ‘asteroidtop’ you see. Pick a location that has a wide view of sight where you can shoot at moving targets as long as possible,so they can only save themselves via being behind an obstacle. Hereby keep in mind the objectives of the game, If game mode is domination stay somewhere overseeing atleast 2 beacons freely.

Never stay entire game in scope, because your minimap is disabled whilst shooting. Whenever you hear gunfire nearby unpack and check the minimap. Save your mines for emergency.

Outside of the torpedo or snipershot, a gunship fighter will do more damage then the sixguned LRF frigate because they get bonuses to weapon damage and overdrive.  

So in the fighter world there is the buffer: command ships, debuffer: tacklers, and damage: gunships.

In the frigage world there is the buffer: engineering, and the tanker/debuffer: guard, but LRF don’t == damage.  This seems to be a hole in the ship designs.

Finally got enough for my Hydra 2.

Compared to my Templar? It’s just simply better in every way. You get into the area faster, you survive all sorts of bullshit, the drones are actually pretty badass at dropping inty’s with a little help, and warn you when you’ve got someone close by. People want to protect you, and the warp gates drag a crew behind you. I can easily get twice, or triple the amount of kills on the Hydra 2 over my LRF, a stupid number of assists.

Like it’s already been said, LRF has no place. Why would I pick one instead of a support engie? It’s easier plugging stabalized rail shots into the same targets as your friends than it is to actually get a good use out of the Disintegrator or Guided Torp.

The problem is not the LRF. The problem is the enginrion and guard, they are too unbalanced.

The enginering is mean to be a primary rapair ship even stay behind the allies too provide repair. But he just charge with the rest of the team like a regen tanker and murdering everthing on path.

The guard is mean to protect allies from danger, charging the battlefield. “Guard ships will feature strong defences and an enhanced Phase Shield. However, these advantages are offset by the relatively small damage dealt by their main weapons”, but he can do lot damage using your pulsar+4x main weapon.

I think part of the problem is the shoehorning of LRF ships into a specific role. Before I could tailor my Jericho LRF to the role I wanted; using a warpgate to position myself and allies (and take objectives), support modules to enhance my allies and a torpedo for long range initiation/support. 

Currently the Jericho LRF can only be played the one way I hated; camping at spawn and sending a single missile every 16 seconds. It has no modules, too slow and fragile to do anything else. And this it doesn’t even do very well, since the vast majority of the missiles are shot down by inevitable missile defences.

In short, I cannot pick the LRF if I want to contribute to my team in any meaningful way…

Hm. What if warpgates were taken away from engineers and given to longrange frigates? That would make them more mobile, and permit them to act as a support role as well (Long range frigate allows team to travel a long range quickly… makes sense to me). And maybe curb the engispam as well, which seems kinda wanted.

Long range torpedo frigs are a lot of fun, even on T3. But I have to agree with them being totally useless if youre up against a guard ship. The missile defense cooldown is so low that the guard can keep every single torpedo down with no skill, no button press, nothing.

In a captain mode battle with 3 guards you migth as well commit suicide and pick another ship.

Since I’ve begun flying the Templar, I have new respect for the Jericho LR Frigate. It is very useful as a mid-range support gunship; I’ve managed to damage multiple ships by firing at a beacon, and once I even achieved the vaulted double kill against a pair of interceptors trying to take a beacon off us!

Since I’ve begun flying the Templar, I have new respect for the Jericho LR Frigate. It is very useful as a mid-range support gunship; I’ve managed to damage multiple ships by firing at a beacon, and once I even achieved the vaulted double kill against a pair of interceptors trying to take a beacon off us!

Because there’s no more friendly fire? I’m also assuming it’s possible to have allies overload the missile shield of enemy guard frigates (at T2, my Mk3 module has a 10s cooldown) and sneak in a Jericho torpedo.

I admit having no friendly fire allows me to be more reckless with my shots, but even with friendly fire enabled I doubt it’d be much of an issue; if you pick your targets properly you can cause a lot of pain without screwing team-mates over.

I admit having no friendly fire allows me to be more reckless with my shots, but even with friendly fire enabled I doubt it’d be much of an issue; if you pick your targets properly you can cause a lot of pain without screwing team-mates over.

Finally got my hands on a Templar… and I must say, given how small the explosion radius is, I don’t think there’ll be that many friendly fire incidents after all if friendly fire still existed.

Last night me and some Dyn did a 3 LRF one engie team in t2, two templars, one hydra, one hydra 2.

Worked out amazingly well, but we were protecting eachother whenever incoming showed up and tried to waylay an ally.

Interceptors go splat to the templar missiles when you’re in close range, I dunno about the explosive radius actually being all that small since it works great as a “get the hell off my engineer” button, instantly killing them if they don’t have the emergency shield and took even a tap from anything else, while the Hydra can zap incoming engies over and over again like its noones business.

They’re still weak as xxxx though, we kept limping from fights only to regen to full because you can’t dodge worth crap, and the only reason it was successful was probably the teamwork, I wouldn’t try using a Templar or LRF in a pug unless I was messing around.

I don’t remember the sniper modules ever being effective if you are going for a win in arcade. Before the 0.8 patch, empire and jericho frigates were best used like how engineers are used now; there on the beacon supporting the team, usually with heals. The sniper modules were only used in specific circumstances, one shot and then changing back to your main guns. Those frigates that stayed near spawn were just players who couldn’t break out of their bad T1 habits and would lose their team the game.

Now LRFs are a class forced into the worst play style in the game. Sure they snipe for more damage but not nearly as much DPS as what main guns do. And getting into range to use your main guns means your paper hull gets shredded. It has nothing to do with guard and engi frigates, qualms about those are a separate discussion.

The problem with buffing LRFs however, is the potential for LRF spam. If they have the potential to get the most kills per death (due to large pockets of damage=last hit), and fielding an interceptor or fighter would mean getting blasted apart by torpedoes all the time, nobody would fly anything else (remember, there was that patch where missile shield affected torpedoes because of how bad the spam was). Increasing their module damage or increasing their health would easily cause this scenario, and would need to be taken carefully.

The suggestion to increase mobility using warpgates is viable, but I think the problem lies with the sniper modules themselves. Granted, they are fun to use, but in the end they are just a gimmick outside of realistic and PvE mode. It just encourages kill stealing, uselessly sniping off drones, and overall poor teamplay. I have so many horror stories about team snipers, this thread couldn’t hold it.

I recon match with 2 sniper frigs in my team. they simply rape every engy frigs in open space. That make me soo happy

i love to have more missiles on long range frigs :) 

Honestly, for snipers, I think a higher projectile speed would be better. I have seen a disintegrator shot fly past me at ~2000m when the guy’s aim was perfect. And it was slow. It’s slow compared to railguns. Seriously? This is a sniper, people!