Linux SteamOS Star Conflict has a launch problem, March 29, 2016

Early March 29 in eastern USA there was a quick Steam update. Once that happened, I could no longer get past the Star Conflict launch screen… the screen that’s black with the cyan swirl in the bottom left. When using the Linux tool, System Monitor, I see Star Conflict taking 100% of a cpu core for a few seconds, switching to another cpu core and taking 100% of that one for a few seconds. It keeps switching cores and using 100% of the core.

There are some others having a similar problem in the Steam forums:

http://steamcommunit…29254951435176/

If there are logs or screenshots that I should find and send them in, tell me what you’re looking for, and I’ll dig them up.

First of all, we’re currently looking for this [How to create bug reports](< base_url >/index.php?/topic/25328-how-to-create-bug-reports/) 

And then, we’ll figuire it out :wink:

yes same problem here, i think this is time to stop play after 1.5 year :smiley:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/212070/discussions/0/385429254951435176/

Same here with Ubuntu 14.04.4…

Was working cleanly before last patch!

run game in terminal cd ~/.local/share/Steam/Steam/steamapps/common/star\ conflict/
then
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/ ./StarConflict

But how do i login via my steam account? Even if Steam is running in the background, the game doesn’t give me the option to login via my steam account. All my progress and ships are bound to that account…

edit:
Finally found a complete way around the bug:

Steam is running in the background.

Additionally I had to do this: cd ~/.local/share/Steam/Steam/steamapps/common/star\ conflict/

then  echo “212070” > steam_appid.txt

exit terminal

run game in terminal cd ~/.local/share/Steam/Steam/steamapps/common/star\ conflict/
then
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/ ./StarConflict

Then the game gave me the option to login via steam. :slight_smile:

I can confirm this workaround works for me too :slight_smile:
but I do not need, LD_LIBRARY_PATH

just ./StarConflict 

Steam is running in the background.

Additionally I had to do this: cd ~/.local/share/Steam/Steam/steamapps/common/star\ conflict/

then  echo “212070” > steam_appid.txt

exit terminal

then

Then the game gave me the option to login via steam. :slight_smile:

I assume tarnish’s work-around would work for a 32-bit install. However, if you have a 64-bit install, the “libcrypt” file is in the 64-bit library folder. It’s a little bit different but same result in the end.

First, like he said, ensure Steam is running in the background. Then:

Step 1 - Create the steam app ID file.

cd ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/star\ conflict

echo “212070” > steam_appid.txt

Step 2 - Launch game with the required “libgcrypt.so.11” file, that is in the 64-bit directory on our systems.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ ./StarConflict

And that’s it. It gets past the loading hangup and logs in via steam. Sitting in my hangar again finally. Thanks to tarnish. +1

nice +1 for LIBERTY,note if you’ve stored your steam library somewhere other than the default, you’ll need to modify the cd command appropriately (“cd /that/other/place/Steam/steamapps…”).

I assume tarnish’s work-around would work for a 32-bit install. However, if you have a 64-bit install, the “libcrypt” file is in the 64-bit library folder. It’s a little bit different but same result in the end.

Step 2 - Launch game with the required “libgcrypt.so.11” file, that is in the 64-bit directory on our systems.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ ./StarConflict

And that’s it. It gets past the loading hangup and logs in via steam. Sitting in my hangar again finally. Thanks to tarnish. +1

Getting us in with terminal command lines is great, but let’s be clear that it’s a successful workaround not a fix. Whoever isn’t reading forums using Linux Star Conflict isn’t getting in. It does need a fix. I don’t know what happened, but my guess is that it is something about how Steam works because this started happening right after a Steam update. I don’t mean to throw blame on Steam though. It could be some little adjustment to be made under the hood of Star Conflict.

Linking Steam account with Gaijin account. https://support.gaijin.net/hc/en-us/articles/200101222-Steam-Account-Link

I got this:

./StarConflict: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.1.0.0: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

I have been having the same problem…I can confirm that SC worked in a fresh install of Debian 8.3 until the Steam update. I have been pulling my hair out over the last couple of days over this problem…My main system went down with the blue-swirl-of-death & I was able to use my backup & now I see that it was working until the Steam update hit me…Then I did a fresh install of Debian 8.3 & it also worked until the Steam update. Would be nice to see exactly what was the trigger…the only thing I saw with the update was a change with VR in Steam. I’m on the Steam beta-track. Added the game log just before the Steam update–it had errors, but the game was working…

[game.log](< base_url >/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=10841)

[game(before update).log](< base_url >/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=10842)

I got this:

./StarConflict: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.1.0.0: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

Hi, the game is 32bit so you need the 32bit libs i have put a smal script “SC.sh” on my desktop so i only need to start steam and run the script.

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/lib/i386-linux-gnu/:~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/
cd ~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/star\ conflict/ 
./StarConflict

I’ve found the Steam updates for the last couple of days…hope that adds some ideas…

[-]

March 31, 2016 -  Steam Client Update Released

An update has been released for the Steam Client and will be automatically downloaded.

Big Picture

• Fixed crash when repeatedly entering the downloads page and then exiting

VR

• Added support for Steam Controller to VR Dashboard, Desktop Game Theater, and OpenVR games. (Requires SteamVR beta) 
  • Stopped showing screenshots section for OpenVR games.
  • Removed requirement to have “-vr2dgames” on your Steam command line to use Desktop Theater

Steam Controller

• Added an option to automatically change action sets based on cursor visibility. An action set can be switched to when the mouse is visible, then back to the first when it’s hidden. Only works with hardware cursors, not software ones. Useful for games which hide the mouse while in game, but have mouse driven menus or UIs. 
  • Improved touchmenu mode-shift support, so touchmenu buttons fired on release of a mode-shifted trackpad button fire reliably. 
  • Added developer support for custom touchmenu icons. Developers can now include their own set of icons for use in touchmenus. 
  • Fixed action set on-screen indicator with non-Steam games 
  • Fixed Controller HUD with non-Steam games

[-]

March 28, 2016 -  Steam Client Update Released

An update has been released for the Steam Client and will be automatically downloaded.

SteamVR

• Added new Desktop Game Theater support, run any of your normal desktop games and have them appear on a giant virtual screen in your headset. Any game that supports Steam Broadcast should work with this feature, some tuning of the games graphical settings may be required for the best experience. 
  • Added new Desktop overlay button, access it via the system dashboard. Use the grip on the motion controller to bring up a keyboard, and the touchpad for mouse wheel movement.
  • Added a VR area to the Big Picture library and removed filtering for VR titles in the Browse section
  • Added icon in the Library view in the Steam Dashboard to show which games support motion controllers
  • Added SteamVR to the jump list options 
  • Automatically launch SteamVR after it finishes updating 
  • Added the SteamVR tool in the SteamVR section in the Library view 
  • Added SteamVR Workshop for background images. These can be selected via Settings->In-Headset->Image.
  • Improved scrolling when using the touchpads in the Steam interface while in your HMD
  • Changed Play button in Big Picture to be an Exit button if you have launched the game 
  • Fixed Steam not quitting correctly when shutting down SteamVR at the same time 
  • Fixed keyboard dismissing unexpectedly when using the web browser in Big Picture
  • Fixed cursor not appearing when using the Desktop overlay 

Steam Controller

• Users can now add additional action sets with their own sets of bindings. Action sets can be added/deleted/named as appropriate and selected via a binding. Note that unlike mode-shifts, action sets completely replace all currently active bindings, and can have their own mode shifts and so forth. 
  • Added New Controller Action binding types which will expand in the future with bindings that are not specific to the game, but rather higher level.
  • Added Change Action Set Binding - sets the action set to the next or a specified action set when used. 
  • Added Show Keyboard Binding - shows the on-screen keyboard 
  • Added Take Screenshot Binding - takes a screenshot 
  • Added Joystick Click and A/B/X/Y as mode shift buttons 
  • Action set Display and Beep are now options to show what action set has been switched to
  • Added a pop-up menu to the Big Picture overlay showing Action Set activation
  • Added user definable action sets for legacy games. 
  • Removed hard coded desktop keyboard shortcut (stick click) and replaced it with controller action binding in the default desktop configuration. 
  • Fixed Mode Shifts getting cleared when adding a mode shift to multiple action sets 
  • Fixed action sets showing native actions rather than M/KB/Gamepad bindings in some conditions when using legacy action set 
  • Fixed a crash when going into/out of an overlay while using the Steam Controller
  • Fixed some cases of non-steam games not applying controller settings. Ensure that “Allow Launchers” option is off for this to take effect. 
  • Fixed controllers not turning off on Suspend power mode in Desktop mode which could cause zombie controllers to be seen over wireless 
  • Fixed Horizontal Invert setting not working on Mouse Joystick

Big Picture

• Fixed crash when using TrailerTV for your screensaver
  • Emoticons show up now in Big Picture Friends chat

Mac OS X

• Fix Steam Controller input not being sent to games if the active configuration does not include gamepad inputs
  • Fixed a rare crash on login

In-Home Streaming

• Added advanced streaming settings to the desktop-mode Settings dialog 
  • Fixed a crash when streaming to or from a Steam client running a different version of Steam

script for game

starConflict.bash

#!/usr/bin/env bash

set -u
set -e
set -o pipefail

old_pwd=$(pwd)

cd ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/star\ conflict/

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/lib/i386-linux-gnu:~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu ./StarConflict

rm -f steam_appid.txt

cd $old_pwd

Script works great…several thumbs up for you!!!

Terminal output looks like:

dean@linux:~$ ‘/home/dean/Desktop/starconflict.bash’ 

Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 212070

Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID:  Caching Steam ID:  76561198072557706 [API loaded no]

On another–possibly related topic:

Has anyone seen this “warning” when first opening Steam??

It is not causing any problems, but it came up at the same time as the March 31 update…And I’m on the Beta channel, so I’m getting updates that are MUCH newer than Debian Sid has…

Interesting–I looked at my game log running SC with the script & see major differences in startup…log below is from earlier this evening…I do have to note that I completely reinstalled Steam–just to see what that would do–didn’t change anything–even the “warning” note still comes up…

post-246622-0-67445100-1459559907.jpg

[game.log](< base_url >/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=10847)

Just updated my script, adjust “sleep” to the time that steam needs to start :wink:

#!/bin/bash
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/lib/i386-linux-gnu/:~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/
cd ~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/star\ conflict/ 
echo "212070" > steam_appid.txt
steam &
sleep 15s
./StarConflict

Hi

I’m having the same problem. When I start the program from the command line everything works.

If I start it from Steam, the memory usage goes up to 790mb and it stalls at the loading screen. Likewise when it starts in the command line it goes to 290mb but runs fully.

Vivienne

Same problem, but on openSUSE_Leap need only click StarConflict icon in folder and add .txt with steam game ID 

But on Debian jessie need both link (lib and usr/lib)