Keybind settings for Inty pilots

I had a question regarding keybind settings for interceptor flying what are the keybind settings that most interceptor pilots use to the advantage for the ship like for instance roll right roll left and using afterburner all at once I know Q and E are the default settings for that but I find that its really hard to hit Q and then E one after the other if you are trying to dodge things does anyone know what inty pilots like as in keybind settings?

I had a question regarding keybind settings for interceptor flying what are the keybind settings that most interceptor pilots use to the advantage for the ship like for instance roll right roll left and using afterburner all at once I know Q and E are the default settings for that but I find that its really hard to hit Q and then E one after the other if you are trying to dodge things does anyone know what inty pilots like as in keybind settings?

Do take my advice with a grain of salt, as I’m not exactly the best of interceptor pilots. Mine are mostly default, with t set to pitch up, and g set to pitch down. It’s usually enough for me to dodge quite a bit. If you want to strafe side-to-side while rolling randomly, then you can either make use of the fact that you have two different fingers for two different directions, or make use of the fact that each roll key is close enough to its strafe counterpart to press with one finger.

Of course, the first thing to worry about is if your keyboard has ghosting issues or not. Mine does, so it doesn’t particularly matter if I can pull either of those two off or not.

My favourite way to dodge is to roll for a short duration in one direction while alternating strafing up and down, then changing roll direction. Combined with a bit of mouse-wiggle magic, it works pretty well, while still keeping most of your forward velocity so you can reposition yourself faster.

Do take my advice with a grain of salt, as I’m not exactly the best of interceptor pilots. Mine are mostly default, with t set to pitch up, and g set to pitch down. It’s usually enough for me to dodge quite a bit. If you want to strafe side-to-side while rolling randomly, then you can either make use of the fact that you have two different fingers for two different directions, or make use of the fact that each roll key is close enough to its strafe counterpart to press with one finger.

Of course, the first thing to worry about is if your keyboard has ghosting issues or not. Mine does, so it doesn’t particularly matter if I can pull either of those two off or not.

My favourite way to dodge is to roll for a short duration in one direction while alternating strafing up and down, then changing roll direction. Combined with a bit of mouse-wiggle magic, it works pretty well, while still keeping most of your forward velocity so you can reposition yourself faster.

WEhn you roll you should be pressing strafe directed “outside” of your roll, so if using default binds, you do Q+D or E+A and W - that’s 3 fingers, you have 2 more available for Shift and Space/Alt. Activating modules (1-4) is a fraction of a second so hardly matters on your maneuvering

I limit my amount of keyboard complexity by assigning critical functions to my mouse. Scroll wheel is for speed, middle click cancels engines, back side button is full power, forward side button is afterburner.

using that I can reduce what I have to do on my keyboard, so it is usually a case of pulling a tight loop whilst rolling at full power, looking for a hiding place, then pull out of the loop, hit strafe right, aim left, fly “straight” but crabbed, making me a harder target until in cover. If in a recon or Cov Ops I’ll usually activate cloak to get away out of the loop and re-appear halfway to the safe-point to heal

I usually use the buttons below movement for maximal rotation (Y/Z, X, C, V) but I would advise not to overuse it and instead use it sparingly in good situations, where you could need a “loop” additionally to your flight pattern (you have to bind them extra) and only start it once you have all other stuff.

i also use target who is targeting me very usually, so i bound it to G, also helpful is target allies target.

otherwise i am a pretty stock user; Q and E rolling will not move your ship in position, so rolling is usually only used to either adjust to a different attack plane (correction), in the screwdriver with up/down and left/right strafe and forward, or to be able to break off with a turn in a more random direction easily, and in the constant rotation flymode, or the “nonstop screwdriver”, which is only for fun; otherwise i would not overuse roll, since, as i said, it only is effective in combination with other movements, in itself, it doesnt change your position, so it hardly helps escaping the line of fire (simply flying forward and rotating might be nice in star wars, but escaping an inty behind you will not be easier, and does not make it harder to target you)

most important for me is to feel the ship, and stop thinking about how to turn, but rather, express the motion in my head by immersing on the ship. so all controls are used by me a lot to get the feel for a ship. also, i like to fly other classes, like fighters and frigates, so i learn movement from different angles; it helps prediction; frigates much more fly like trucks, fighters also get better in rotation fights, if you fly back instead of forward, and strafe up or down.

flying all roles and classes for me opens better microstrategies in games.

as ceptor pilot, circling around targets, how to hit with spray weapons, or how to aim while movement, and adrenaline management (keep yourself calm until you need the higher reflexes, instead of burning all adrenaline uselessly, take pauses between games if you get exhausted, or switch class if you realize, your reflexes are just too low) are my main concerns, since these need constant exercise, as do unguided missiles.

keeping myself from constapressing the afterburner is another mindgame, and it can be quite helpful to fly one of those +1 energy ships, like the eagle-b, which are barely stable.

Guys you are all forgetting that different key’s layouts are out there. :stuck_out_tongue:

Btw I use default keybinds plus the turn left and right binded on the mouse "forward " and “back” buttons. Using them will result in more close turning points in some situation, also i use every time the reverse strafe (ex: if i turn the mouse to the right, then i strafe to the left). Last but not least: never just dodge if a 'ceptor or fast fighter approach, return fire while dodge or make sure you will bring them to you teammates while escaping, otherwise just spinning around will result in a suicide most of the time :stuck_out_tongue:

I use the side mouse button to talk with teamspeak and the other for interaction in Invasion.

Ah i was forgetting this: binding more keys than normal will lead (probably) to ghosting effect. Which means that some key’s combo will eventually not works. You can easily check by yourself which works at this link. http://www.microsoft.com/appliedsciences/antighostingexplained.mspx

I keep all of the default key bindings with 2 that i have added. I have 2 side buttons on my mouse, and I have bound them to ‘Turn up’ and ‘Turn down’, which have proven to be extremely useful for all ships. It’s pretty easy to hit ‘w’, ‘q/e’, ‘a/d’, ‘shift’, and ‘space/alt’ at the same time (since you have 5 fingers). This allows you to maneuver nicely and dodge things. If you still have trouble, trying using vernier engines to increase rotation and intertial stabilizers to increase strafe speed.

i use defualt keybinds for movement. most of the dodging is done with the mouse anyway