Just got in a Fox, weapons?

Hello all, i’m a new player, about 5 days, and i just got into a Fox for the federation. I’m in the vanguard faction as i noticed they have a lot of modules specific to tackling.

Here’s my question, i thought i’d be able to use RF plasma weapons but i see i’m limited to assault railguns, singularity cannon, gauss, and ion emitter.

All i’ve read is that railguns fall on their face, yet when i look at statistics they seem superior overall to the other 4. I just got the ship right before i went to work so before i purchase mkII assault railguns i wanted some up to date input on those four.

Usually i try to go after the opposing teams support frig(square with a plus i believe on map) and i usually kill and flee or we both die by me crashing into the frig.

Otherwise i’m dogfighting usually. Occasionally i go and assist a frig if i notice our’s is under attack.

Now for that kind of gameplay what would you guys recommend, and any recommendations on my playstyle is more than welcome. I’m new so i’m not quite sure on the dominant role i want to provide as a fighter and tend to do varying amounts of those 3 playstyles i mentioned. Thank you

Personally I like Railguns. They are very good against frigate hulls. Also, most people tend to boost Thermal Resists, and not Kinetic. This is just my opinion though.

Chasing frigs in a tackler is pretty much the last thing you want to do, but not impossible. I recommend singularity cannon above all others if that’s what you want to do and MUST have the target painter as active module. You can tank either by strafing non stop in random directions combined with speed and ship agility or the worse choice would be tanking modules. Federation tacklers are frail by nature while jericho has some tougher shield tanking ones, but not a huge overall difference.

Your main and best abilities come from a combination of target painting and slowing the enemy ship down (forgot what the name of the mod is, the one with identical range as the target painter). It is not always necessary to use them both at once. For example use the slowing mod on an inty nearby and save the target painter for a frigate further away behind him (given you’re not alone in that situation).

For inty and fighter hunting i recommend gauss railguns or ion emitters above the other 2. If you used only assault rails so far and have a tendency to aim very well or get better at it fast, you’ll love the gauss. I’m not too keen on assault rails, nor ion emitter so it’s better if someone else explains them.

One of the best tackler playstyles is to ‘throw molotovs from the tribune’, meaning you’re never in the very heat of the battle, but somewhere nearby assisting your team, taking down key targets, throwing suppresive fire or protecting. As far as i read your playstyle description, i’d have to suggest against charging at a frigate for a 1 to 1 trade off where both of you die. Sure, do it if it’s relevant for the objective, but don’t do it in the open cuz you just happened to find a frigate there (ofc unless you want to have some fun for yourself).

Still, you have to find your own playstyle and improve it.

If you do go frigate hunting in your tackler, keep in mind that cloaking will not keep you safe from guard frigate pulsars or LR frigate minefields.

The only advice I would give you that is different from Astraal’s, is that you use Gauss cannons against frigates. If you configure for maximum critical damage (not the same as critical chance) and fire the Gauss cannons on their 2nd charge, you will get the optimal balance between critical chance and critical damage. Plus since it’s a kenetic weapon it will be more effective against most frigates, as many will be running thermal buffs to counter Jeri torps and Ion emitters.

The Gauss cannon will also allow you enough range that you can avoid pulsars and minefields and still deal damage. Plus, its projectile speed is fast enough to be deadly against interceptors.

So that is my advice. Go with Gauss cannons, maximize critical damage with your implants, modules, and munitions; and always release the Gauss round on the 2nd charge for maximum potential.

Extra stuff:

Target painter for debuffing shields

Flares for countering Jeri torps

EM missiles for extra shield-stripping ability

Have fun!

P.S. If you kill one of my many frigates with this build, you get a cookie.  :fed004:

thanks alot fella’s. yea i’ve always used the target painter and engine supressor or w/e. with like you slow for int’s, target painter for the xxxxxxx that doens’t want to die or a frig :). i appreciate the advice a BUNCH.

Ion Emitter if you have a steady hand. Otherwise, bubble.

Assault rails just feel and sound fun.  I need to fly gunship again other than Phobos.

or the worse choice would be tanking modules

Yesterday I saw a guy with a Lance (t4 jericho tackler) with Shield Booster, Shield Adapter, Flares and Sentry Drone  :lol:

Yesterday I saw a guy with a Lance (t4 jericho tackler) with Shield Booster, Shield Adapter, Flares and Sentry Drone  :lol:

Ohgod, the poor ship! Screw the pilot, but SAVE THE DAMN SHIP FROM THAT HUMMILITATION!  :what:

The only advice I would give you that is different from Astraal’s, is that you use Gauss cannons against frigates. If you configure for maximum critical damage (not the same as critical chance) and fire the Gauss cannons on their 2nd charge, you will get the optimal balance between critical chance and critical damage. Plus since it’s a kenetic weapon it will be more effective against most frigates, as many will be running thermal buffs to counter Jeri torps and Ion emitters.

Let me add that it works against the other 2 classes with this setup as well with Gauss. But instead of double charges, just machinegun with it on repeated 1 charge shots. If the situation allows 2-3 charges are a valid point too. If you can’t aim too well you can try Jeri rank 6 implant when you get in Fox-M for some extra bullet speed, namely better accuracy for less general DPS.

Ohgod, the poor ship! Screw the pilot, but SAVE THE DAMN SHIP FROM THAT HUMMILITATION!  :what:

Can you imagine the number of 1v1 bot matches the guy had to go through to decide to do that?