Iridium Strand

Since this map has been introduced, I’ve seen several complaints.  We need a thread to highlight problems with the map.

Here’s a win without kills I had today.

utK7Jst.jpg

On this map, I don’t think engaging the enemy is really an option in a 3v3.

Try simply defending.

Since this map has been introduced, I’ve seen several complaints.  We need a thread to highlight problems with the map.

Here’s a win without kills I had today.

utK7Jst.jpg

On this map, I don’t think engaging the enemy is really an option in a 3v3.

Iridium strand is a massive map, and it is possible to win just by outmanouvering the opponent in 3v3 matches like in your case, BUT , the map size isn’t all of the issue.

I have encountered several positions on the map where the native objects (asteroids, panels, etc.) have either a hitbox that is too small or one that is too large. For instance, the “Mining laser” near the spawn is surrounded by several panels near the top. Some of these panels can be flown into (submerge the ship into the object) which is rather disturbing as this is actually a valid position for players to fly through (evading opponents, taking cover, etc.) and can confuse some people. A case of a too larger hitbox (not sure if still existent) is the outside of the giant wall near either spawn. I have quite a few times flown just around the wall (approx. 50m away) and have run directly into it. I’m not sure if the walls are all like it in Iridium strand but I have encountered it before hand.

• This is a large post, I’m sorry -

You can always use a spoiler tag:

[spoiler]Your Text Here[/spoiler]

It is the only map where I think to myself “Oh no… not this”

With all the other maps in the game, some I prefer to others but I still enjoy them all and want to play them. Since this one is so huge, most game modes are almost pointless.

Capture the beacons, you start 14-15km away from the two flags at the side of the spawn, so if a recon warps to either one you can’t get there in time unless you have some recons that can warp there as well.

Combat recon either turns into two situations, one where the two teams just sit in the spawn and look at each other or both teams decide to meet in the middle and fight around that odd rock formation which is miles from the spawn (so often players tend to play more reserved so they do not have to fly 9km to get back to the middle where the party is, which means the game becomes stale again like the first situation).

Beacon hunt you have to have all interceptors to keep the “flow”, so when the beacon is active there is just one massive inty ball around it or 1 team is there and the other team is trying to plod their way there from 10km away which means no combat really occurs. Or you get a group of slower ships that will just skip the current beacon altogether and use the time to get to the next beacon, which means the whole game teams are just going for every other beacon so again not much combat occurs…

Domination the ticket counter is almost too low for the size of the map, if you lose 2 out of the 3 beacons, the travel time to get to each one (unless your entire team is playing interceptor) is far too high so you do not get those great moments like on other maps where your team pulls it back and wins because of some huge fight that was won over a beacon. The tickets just bleed out as everyone tries to get vaguely near a beacon.

lame

Try simply defending.

Then the enemy captures two of our beacons, we capture none of theirs, and we lose.

Finally found it…

There’s a [post](< base_url >/index.php?/topic/22449-star-conflict-obt-v0917-discussion/?p=254192) by the designer of Iridium Strand, which you guys might want to take a look at.