How does the Microwarp Engine work?

Ok, this is a rather silly question, but I have been struggling with it since I got my Hawk. Whenever I use the microwarp it speeds up my ship, but only on rare occasions do I actually warp. Do I have to hold the key down or something to get it to warp?

I’ll assume you have your afterburners on. Activating your afterburners cancels microwarp; you can warp halfway and hit your afterburners so you don’t end up too far away.

I’m so use to afterburners, if I’m not holding, my shift key’s down.  I’ve gotten the recon microwarp to work, but never worked out the details.

It doesn’t help that my starting faction was Jericho.

You just press F and the microwarp activates. It will take a second or two to power up first, so DON’T TRY TO MOVE while it’s powering up.

Once active, it remains active until you reach the end, crash or try to move normally. This is a useful trick to learn; dropping out of warp early can avoid a fatal collision, or prevent an overshoot of your destination.

Press F, remove finger from afterburner, warp away, press afterburner button again to drop out of warp early or wait until it’s over.

JasanQuinn is correct.

How I use the warp is usually just:

let go off all buttons > press F to microwarp > wait till the end of the warp/use movement tools to drop out early and try not to crash into the building behind the beacon(Especially on the new map with the warp gates, warping there is just a death-trap) 

(Especially on the new map with the warp gates, warping there is just a death-trap) 

I killed myself on those gates TWICE. It’s not fun.

Lol, died that way many more times and learnt the position of almost every asteroid cluster xD

And i still like sitting my a$$ in front of the static warp gates for hilarity :slight_smile:

I killed myself on those gates TWICE. It’s not fun.

I’ve probably done it twice in one game.

Can 0.9.1 finally fix that?  That one, and crashing into an asteroid from the preexisting warp gates.

…crashing into an asteroid from the preexisting warp gates.

Wait what?! That cannot happen? It’s more likely you crashed into me rather than an asteroid lol! Or a football type of asteroid maybe…

Are you sure you’re not high on shrooms? o.O

Some of the asteroids between B and C are movable.

FOOTBALL ROIDS! *goes to play Ball Conflict*

Must’ve been one of those.

I’m no sure if I hold on to the ‘W’ key subconsciously or not… but I know subconsciously I wiggle my mouse as though it would help me avoid an obstacle I missed out when I hit ‘F’.

learning how to use the afterburners to stop is a huge advantage to the microwarp

and it will save you from getting too many Thud’s

also dont aim directly for a beacon if you are going to microwarp to it… LOL 

IDK how many times I have seen people smash into the beacon because of that

FOOTBALL ROIDS! *goes to play Ball Conflict*

Must’ve been one of those.

once I was flying a guard ship and I kept pushing a asteroid and hiding behind it to get to a captain and it worked wonders!

learning how to use the afterburners to stop is a huge advantage to the microwarp

and it will save you from getting too many Thud’s

I tend to aim directly for the beacons. If I Thud! I know it’s a lag game and leave (or I’m falling asleep, which is a good time to leave as well, hah).

Besides, afterburner to cancel the warp and then strafe and reverse to pretty much stop cold right on the beacon.

PS: I love enemy recons in combat recon. Everyone pings them as they warp in but they just explode on a rock. Much ado about nothing. :wink:

Perfect landing on beacon today (outpost, beacon B from between A and B spawn area). Literally came out of warp and landed on the top antenna with 10m/s lol.

Know that mechanics dictate an enourmous amount of inertia if you don’t use your engines as you come out of warp giving you an immense additional room for maneuver in speed.

First…Fly you ship into Asteroid, Huge Object, or Player…and then launch now =D

Bringing back some info: fixed gates on Abandoned Outpost can actually collide you into fixed asteroids. Happened to me from B to C through the left gate and hit the big one near the arrival point… Who would have thought…