Guard - Signature Masking activates Criminal status on protected or neutral targets

Bug report: (Open Space - Guard - Signature Masking active module)

What happened?

When nearby Military Police or any Patrol, including ‘Players’ with ‘Station Protection Enabled’ or ‘Neutral/Orange Players’. you will trigger the Criminal Status and will be listed as a Hostile.

The issue for this is that any ships that come in the active range of Signature Masking module will trigger this status. This is a bug.

If a player is having Station Protection enabled, it will automatically be disabled for him, and any ship without Station Protection will be able to destroy the ship while it’s under the Criminal status.

What should have happened?

Players with Station Protection, bots included, should not have the constant message that they are under ‘Station Protection’ when they are in the active range of your module.

Neutral/Orange targets should not trigger or set your status to Criminal if they enter the active range of your module.

The Signature Masking active module should not trigger any status on protected/blue or neutral/orange targets unless if the orange target started this attack or the Guard did.

This bug is years old now. Please fix it already.

Screenshot:

v2p2HEN.png

Video:

Logs:

[2018.04.21 16.58.07.zip](< base_url >/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=16733)

Koro, while I agree that station protection shouldn’t work like that, but I know why Skula said it’s not a bug. Read this:

image.png.bdad7ca2a8e8642179df11cde3812c59.png

There is no mention of debuff in the description. So it does protect you from the DAMAGE, but Signature Masking is a DEBUFF. So station protection is not protecting you from triggering an attack by debuffing nearby NPCs or players even in passive mode. And that makes you an aggressor. And takes off your own station protection.

We should get an explanation how Station Protection should work by design first, otherwise raising bugs without knowing what was intended doesn’t do any good.

3 hours ago, niripas said:

Koro, while I agree that station protection shouldn’t work like that, but I know why Skula said it’s not a bug. Read this:

image.png.bdad7ca2a8e8642179df11cde3812c59.png

There is no mention of debuff in the description. So it does protect you from the DAMAGE, but Signature Masking is a DEBUFF. So station protection is not protecting you from triggering an attack by debuffing nearby NPCs or players even in passive mode. And that makes you an aggressor. And takes off your own station protection.

We should get an explanation how Station Protection should work by design first, otherwise raising bugs without knowing what was intended doesn’t do any good.

No-no not so fast: If I read it like a legal text it states that a pilot in station protection “can’t attack other pilots” - would include debuffs from Signature masking - not? Why? In PvP,Co-Op, PvE I can’t attack with debuffing modules nor engineer drones other than (red) enemies.

So it should  be likewise in regard to open space: for all pilots with station protection activated shouldn’t be able to attack all ships under station protection (blues), including blue NPCs, and neutral players w/o station protection (yellow) in regard to main weapons, secondary weapons (missiles), special modules, active modules and passive modifiers (as well as specials like attack drones of engineer frigates). Station protected (blue) pilots should remain in station protection even if they attacked a red (criminal status) player in non PvP zones in open space! Why? Because pilots under station protection activated can attack enemy NPC in open space and remain under (blue) station protection, so they should be able to attack criminal status players ( maybe aggressor should be exempted in regard to players but not in regard to police NPCs - unsure about this).

I see a problem only in the description text above(‘Station protection activation’) that lists the exeptions: low karma, agressor status, criminal status, open space PvP zones, and : 'hostile NPC attack’. That’s the kicker here I guess, not that Signature masking is a debuff module. 

But NPC also come in blue and red variants - logically following that station protection on should include '‘can’t attack other pilots’ in regard to blue NPCs, as I said above. I this case under station protection on for your ship, you shouldn’t be able to trigger any ‘agressor’ (red) and successive ‘criminal’ (red) status while in Station protection at all, safe open space PvP zones and low karma (or maybe even not there - for newbies to look around safely - not sure). 

Personally, I am frustrated a bit about how most engineer drones are acting in open space. Under yellow status (station protection off) you may incidentally and unwanted  trigger NPC attack by explosion weapon near a blue NPC and get aggressor, then you try to get non-hostile and fly away but the police fly after you and get constantly shot by engineer drones and eventually puts you into ‘criminal status’ then you will be killed quickly. Not optimal.

Only engineer drones I know off which don’t act in this way were the engineer drones of the r8 Phoenix (‘Phoenix drones’) they can be switched off into 100% non-attack repair mode: this we should have for all engineer drones (especially worth for inferior self-healers like Wazgot (and Phoenix - that’s why Phoenix has it I guess- brilliant design! lets you feel to have control over success or failure a bit more) ). 

I hope I did not get the crucial thing wrong here. The description text of the ‘Station protection activation’ feature may be misleading like so many other description texts…

3 hours ago, avarshina said:

No-no not so fast: If I read it like a legal text it states that a pilot in station protection “can’t attack other pilots” - would include debuffs from Signature masking - not? Why? In PvP,Co-Op, PvE I can’t attack with debuffing modules nor engineer drones other than (red) enemies.

Allies in PvP/PvE/CooP/etc… have completely different behaviour than in OS, which you can see when using WL-13, or Eclipse… it doesn’t block the damage you do, but they get healed, which does neither work on any NPCS in OS, or non hostile players. It only works on squadmates.

3 hours ago, avarshina said:

Personally, I am frustrated a bit about how most engineer drones are acting in open space. Under yellow status (station protection off) you may incidentally and unwanted  trigger NPC attack by explosion weapon near a blue NPC and get aggressor, then you try to get non-hostile and fly away but the police fly after you and get constantly shot by engineer drones and eventually puts you into ‘criminal status’ then you will be killed quickly. Not optimal.

I know this is somewhat unfortunate… i suggest not equipping any AOE modules on guard and popping all engineer drones when you pass friendlies…

8 minutes ago, Flash0914 said:

Allies in PvP/PvE/CooP/etc… have completely different behaviour than in OS, which you can see when using WL-13, or Eclipse… it doesn’t block the damage you do, but they get healed, which does neither work on any NPCS in OS, or non hostile players. It only works on squadmates.

I know this is somewhat unfortunate… i suggest not equipping any AOE modules on guard and popping all engineer drones when you pass friendlies…

Remember in open space you can have (green) team members: you then can heal your teammates for example with WL-13

Wazgot drones one cannot drop (like nornal engineer attack drones)  just shoot w/o target and it would be too slow…

I rather concern why Signature Masking is triggering aggresor status while Mass Propulsion Inhibitor (also having passive debuff) is not.

Well, if it’s not a bug, Mr. Skula will say it.

Well it appearantly is a bug then… still consider what i said until this is fixed.