Equipment for Videos?

Hello guys,

i was thinking about making some Star Conflict gaming videos, but i have no fuking idea how to do it, U know about which stuff u need, and can recommend some?

The Ace

Google OBS Studio.

Sounds nice… i downloaded it and watch right now video that explains it with funny fat guy.

Koromac can i ask u if i dont understand something?

I like Lightworks for editing, and just use Shadowplay which came installed for recording. And a youtube converter for music, but you have to be careful with copyrights etc

It’s been a while since I made a video though!

47 minutes ago, millanbel said:

I like Lightworks for editing, and just use Shadowplay which came installed for recording. And a youtube converter for music, but you have to be careful with copyrights etc

It’s been a while since I made a video though!

Doesn’t Lightworls has some limitations in the free version when it comes to resolution and framerate /only supports 1080p for vimeo and not YouTube ? 

I personally prefer Shotcut since it is free and you have no limitations in framerate and resolution and so.

There is also a list on wikipedia(wikipedia does have may great lists) of video editing software https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_editing_software

57 minutes ago, theNoob said:

Sounds nice… i downloaded it and watch right now video that explains it with funny fat guy.

I used to use OBS but haven’t recorded anything with it lately coz the AMD GPU encoder doesn’t worked properly when I wanted to record in 60fps only 30fps worked 

1 hour ago, theNoob said:

I am not sure, if I will be of any use to you. I just know the basics of recording with such software.

If your computer is good, you should be able to record at 60 FPS, just make sure that you get a proper codec, which supports your GPU, if needed.

All of my videos are recorded with Shadowplay. I dont do any video editing, and minimal crop, insert, audio replace actions i do in audacity and cant remember the name of a free video editor

Star Conflict PvP videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLznYwvL7gACqb1lUYyUnEXxeGuD4uXo9Y

I use OBS Studio aswell, since you can basicly record shadowplay (NVENC), and multiple sound sources, already do overlays (chatwindow, logo, etc.) and simply switch to streaming, while you can do many of these things and “activate” them depending on your needs later aswell.

Together with a virtual audio cable (and VoiceMeeter), i can basicly save a the mixed audio in the first default track, the game, the teamspeak and my mic independently in the additional audio tracks (as a copy independently). Works awesome, I usually tried streaming to google, and recorded a few footages as test. Quite cool for a free solution, and it works without framedrops for me.

Only downside to native shadowplay is obs studio can’t do background recording yet (for that i can just use shadowplay itself) and it has no visual representation on the screen if recording (like an overlay icon, you just have to remember you pressed record or alt tab to check). the upside is, i can restrict the recording to the game, and do visual overlays etc. on the fly, and should i edit it, i can immediately use independent audio tracks. that makes me happy in case of editing.

Of course, being lazy and busy with other stuffz, I am actually not doing anything with all this, but if I would, I would suggest a similar setup for anyone who wants to go deeper into it.

People with AMD might have to look into the forum of OBS to take advantage of their respective encoding chips, last time studio didnt include AMD chip yet preinstalled.

25 minutes ago, g4borg said:

People with AMD might have to look into the forum of OBS to take advantage of their respective encoding chips, last time studio didnt include AMD chip yet preinstalled.

OBS studio has basic support for AMD chips nearly since OBS Studio is out, I still would recommend https://github.com/Xaymar/OBS-AMD-Advanced-Media-Framework since it performs better.

I use Vegas Pro 13 but im trying to get accustomed to After Effects.As for recording,Fraps does a pretty good job for me,I plan to upgrade to a GTX 960 from a 8750M,I think that should have a impact…

Hmm i have really low FPS when recording. Any ideas how to change that? Or is it just that hardware intensive?

Hardware.

46 minutes ago, theNoob said:

Hmm i have really low FPS when recording. Any ideas how to change that? Or is it just that hardware intensive?

What is your hardware and what frames do you get with and without recoding?

12 hours ago, theNoob said:

Its like graphic settings of a game: the better your pc, the highest settings you will be able to set while keeping a good FPS rate…and you can exchange quality for performance and vice versa.

On 29.8.2016 at 7:37 PM, John161 said:

OBS studio has basic support for AMD chips nearly since OBS Studio is out, I still would recommend https://github.com/Xaymar/OBS-AMD-Advanced-Media-Framework since it performs better.

I was pretty sure they started like they did with classic back then, with x264 only, which is software, and nvenc soon after. xaymars GCN plugin I thought was first. But doesnt matter, since now they ship with with the amd one. I was holding off of studio because of missing hw encoding and had classic until this summer.

16 hours ago, John161 said:

What is your hardware and what frames do you get with and without recoding?

Most important question.

NV delivered nvenc chips since the 650, similarly, amd delivers GCN chips since HD7700 or higher. If your card is older than that, recording without frame loss is impossible (except you do it externally)

I use Fraps and movie maker. Not bad.

(camtasia studio is very good too)

This is my laptop:http://www.notebookcheck.com/Test-HP-ProBook-455-G1-H6P57EA-Notebook.108930.0.html

When i play normally i get about 40FPS, when i record it drops abysimmaly…like 5 or so.

45 minutes ago, theNoob said:

This is my laptop:http://www.notebookcheck.com/Test-HP-ProBook-455-G1-H6P57EA-Notebook.108930.0.html

When i play normally i get about 40FPS, when i record it drops abysimmaly…like 5 or so.

to be honest, with the HD 7420G, a shared memory card for office mobile devices, you might have the chipset to record installed (GCN should be in all 7xxx), but it might not be possible at high resolutions. I don’t think it is possible to get a recording solution, which does not impact your performance on this hardware. You could try it at lower resolutions, as memory usage for resolutions, or workload for any kind of pipeline work, increases quadratically, meaning, lowering your resolution might allow you to more fluidly record videos.

Another solution is of course to either encode it really fast and low rate, or if your HDs are fast enough, at high rate with less encoding (but I doubt a laptop has a fast enough HD)

I think a similar card in a desktop pc would even struggle a bit