Dreadnought ship roles idea

Hi devs and readers,

I came here to share how I imagine the roles for the dreadnoughts, for you to get some inspiration about this ships future, and even consider on using the idea itself.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a hater or a crybaby like many out there who’ll yell at you just because you changed the game just a little or you didn’t do exactly what they wanted. It’s just a constructive idea for you to consider and discuss here.

When I was waiting for the new classes, I was thinking you’ld bring new ships with new functions to bring some innovation to the battlefield, and new team strategies would be possible. But when they arrived, they were nice but I felt kinda disappointed about the monolitic Suppressor class. It doesn’t bring anything new to the game, it’s just more shield, hull and firepower. There’s no particular tactic you can develop with them, for they all do exactly the same thing with the same weapons and the same modules. You won’t meet many pilots with more than one destroyer, not because their manufacture process is slow, but because they feel no excitement on getting the other two because they’ll get another identical ship. And you can’t regen hull, so guess which one is the best.

That’s why I suggest you consider on splitting the suppressor class into three unique roles. Here’s my idea:

EMPIRE

Obliterator Class

• Function: Fleet tactical support. They’ve got an improved weapon system that makes their bullets bounce when hitting targets and objects, forcing enemies to abandon their hiding spots and breaking their numbers easily, making them excellent mates against large, heavy groups camping, so your mates get a clear sight of their damaged ships. However, they have a great speed and module cooldown penalty.
  • Modules:
    • MC Pulsar: Destroy all meteors and/or asteroids in a high radius.
    • Phantom Projector: Creates an spectrum projector light that makes unmaterial any obstacle on its sight. Thought you can’t see the ships visually, it spots on the sensor the enemies so you can shoot them unless they use sensor jammers.
    • Current dread’s missiles
    • Current dread’s laser 
  • Special Ability: Warhammer; a laser that can go throught objects and kills any target which gets shot at. It has a great range, but it has the greatest reload time of the three.

FEDERATION

Reconstructor Class

• Function: Fleet integrity support. They are equipped with an special emmitter that reduces their respawn time in half, making them avaible faster than any other ship, so they can give support almost always. Their special modules allow the team to regroup easily and save them even from certain death, so its a unique companion on situations where your mate’s mistakes leave the rest of the group with no chance. Their unmistakable usefulness is crippled with armor and damage penalty, with only two cannons.
  • Modules:
    • Current dread’s jump
    • Mass jump propulsor: You point a laser on the right direction you want. You and all ally ships in radius warp on that direction until you stop.
    • Matter attractor: Teleports the mate you select on the pantheon selector to your position, be it alive or the scrap you want to reconstruct.
    • Scavenger: Reconstructs all enemy and ally’s stationary objects like drones or mines under your control.
  • Special Ability: Pantheon; a module who allows you to bring back quickly the dead companion you selected. Reconstruction time depends on the ship’s size. You can’t revive an ally out of the module’s range or behind and obstacle.

JERICHO

Avenger Class

• Function: Fleet protection support. They are equipped with a long-ranged, strange pulsar that activates when receiving damage, so all enemies in range receive half the incoming damage. That protects the group from inties swinging around and putting things as nukes, and their impressive hull and shield makes them almost impossible to kill. The special module, as well as the active, are meant to avoid ally ships to get special attention from the enemy concentrated fire, which results often in your mate’s deaths. In spite of the enormus armor and abilty ranges, this ship has no main weapon and no missiles.
  • Modules:
    • Ship encapulator: Shoots a ray to the targeted ally ship, covering it in a spherical shield. This ship can’t shoot or activate modules in that state, and vinculates the ship to the avenger. When ship gets shot, the avenger will receive the damage instead, activating its pulsar.
    • Missile backbone: Returns the guided missiles, and alters the unguided course backwards. The returned missiles will continue till their maximum range.
    • Ship control: Takes over an enemy ship, controlling its movement. You can’t shoot or activate modules while controlling it.
    • Engine inverter: Inverts the enemy ship’s movement, active modules and weapons keys.
  • Special Ability: Vendetta, an enormus shield with a proyector which you launch. You choose when the proyector will stop in order to determine the shield’s size. The shield will stop bullets and turn them back. The faster the proyectile, the worse. The shield will keep active unless energy expires or the proyector is destroyed.

Star Conflict is not Fractured Space. Destroyers should never have been implemented into regular PVP anyway, except in special gamemodes, for example for the captain to fly in Combat Recon or as a “mothership” worth more points in team battle. Diversifying their roles will not improve the static, campy nature of their gameplay, or reduce the number of auto-aim or low-skill weapons and mods.

Overall, you have plenty of nice ideas, but they do not really get to the heart of the problem.

Another thing I’ld say is that you should be able to lock their modules individually. In dreadnought’s current state, modules are completely hidden and unless you know them well enought you won’t kill the dread. I also think that this three main module’s mechanism should be clearly visible on the dread. In empire you’ll see an enormous death star like anthenna on top, in fed you’ll see a metal pod attached to one side and in jericho you’ll see a harpoon down. This way is open to fighter and inti tacticism, where you can shut down they special modules before they can activate them.

Another thing is that their modules do not repair themselves once broken.

And about the camping, only you’ld say the Avenger class is fit for that, to protect mates from focus. Obliterators are specially designed against camping, their role is precisely exposing enemies by blowing up their covers. And Reconstructor class is exactly the opposite to that; the main thing they do is move. They are a very poor choice to camp, they can be killed more easily than the other two. Their role is to protect allies from rushing alone and improves regrouping techniques, so they have to stay alive at all costs.

Thanks for the oppinion, I’ld want more.

I like this idea a lot but it seems a bit off… Can’t tell how tho…

Ah! Okay just change every mention of “Dreadnought” to “Destroyer”.

I like it.

I like this idea a lot but it seems a bit off… Can’t tell how tho…

Ah! Okay just change every mention of “Dreadnought” to “Destroyer”.

I like it.

I read destroyer as well! The forum has only been talking about them recently XD

OP: is is destroyer or dreadnought you mean?

Oops XDXDXD my bad.

I’ld like to make a poll for this, but first I want more oppinions for me to bring that up. Also I’ll have to find out how.

I’ve moved this topic to the poll Destroyer ship roles idea. Please use that one for new discussions, thank you.

Admins please delete this one since I can’t change this topic’s name.