Developer blog from April 30th: Game development plans

On March 26, 2015 we launched Season 2 in our project Star Conflict. The long-awaited dreadnoughts finally appeared in the game. Start of the second season marked a new stage in the development of the game. We added new maps for PvP and PvE battles, as well as a new PvE mode ‘Special Operation’. We have combined all the locations in a network with a single world map. The game got new Aliens and new locations. Some locations have been destroyed. In others, new mysterious global objects appeared.

d922586e7de756b6e3e528d3f7bb.jpg

We completely redesigned the Sector Conquest mode. Now corporations can capture locations on a global space map. To do this, they need to build dreadnoughts — huge ships of great destructive power. Capturing locations will allow corporations to earn extra income. And all the other players will be able to see the power and strength of the corporation capable of controlling the whole sector. Also everyone will be able to follow the progress of corporations and track upcoming battles. Pilots can offer their services as mercenaries and take part in the protection of locations, even if they are not in a corporation.

A dreadnought battle is an epic battle in which the main role is played by the pilots of corporations. The battle between corporate dreadnoughts is the primary means to compare the strength, skill and training of the opposing corporate pilots.

We invite all who wish to see dreadnought battles with their own eyes to check out a special demo version of the game.

Download the demo version here: star-conflict.com

In the demo you can only watch the battle. Feel the battle’s scale and the power of dreadnoughts. The demo also focuses on the use of a virtual reality helmet Oculus. It adds even more scope and power to the battle.

What will happen next? We will develop the system of corporation battles. There will be new locations accessible for inspection. Dreadnoughts will get new weapons and new opportunities for modernization. We won’t forget about pilots not included in any corporation. There will be new locations for PvP and PvE modes. You can visit a special section of the site to get acquainted with all our plans HERE.

Of course, these are not all our plans for the near future. We will continue to acquaint you with them in our developer blog in the future. Looking forward to your participation in the discussions on the forum and in social networks, stay with us!

9c9466b84a7d893db5cd0a3d727d.png

Sounds great, but we need something to throw life into abadoned T4 and T5. Everything right now is in T3, almost no point into fighting highier tiers. Additional T4 tournament would be lovely addition for example.

I love t5. And once the T5 dread battles will be out it will be even more interesting. Real problem could be t4 :wink:

By the way I’m really happy devs focus on developing the dread battles too. I’m going to open a thread in suggestion with some ideas to improve this mode with fully pilotable dreadnought :wink:

That T5 demo is just :00888: :00888: :00888:

the demo is nice; however couple things irritated me:

- the bots try to use modules, but they are on cooldown (its nice it feels like a player hitting the button :D), but the sound of that is kinda distracting (especially off camera, see next), i guess especially for someone who actually does not know what it means because he hasn’t played yet; maybe the “fail module” sound should not be active in the cinematic viewer build. :wink:

- if the camera changes cinematically, you are still bound to the sound source of a specific bot, hearing shots, module clicks and explosions close, while you actually watch a different scenery. it might create a confusing sensation.

and an improvement idea for demos like this:

- i like the cinematic camera change, even if it does not leave me alone switching away (sometimes you just want to see how long your bot is surviving, it’s kinda fun), it might be more interesting if it choses bots which are about to score a kill, not just the ones which are doing nothing or are killed a second after the cam changes to them.

so if the camera switches to a target which is planning to do some cool stuff, like starting to attack, using some module, etc. the viewer might be much more dazzled about the thing, so if it is easily possible to determine such stuff, i would definitely upgrade that part.

otherwise, cool stuff.

nice to create a promotion package like this.

even if i feel sometimes, the intro video could also need an overhaul already… :smiley:

IMHO, PvE should be discontinued, and open space resources gain a boost to take its place. Even PvP could use a higher payout, since it is much harder. Too many pilots grind for hundreds or thousands of hours/games and never play any PvP modes. Then, when they switch, their incredible build is getting whipped by more specialized PvP games.

I know most will disagree with me on this. But the fact of the matter is that this is a small game. And there are far too many things for players to do that separate and stagnate the player base beyond a reasonable threshold. Ex. Each day, think of how many game modes pull players out of traditional PvP/OS games?

If anything, PvE should be stopped and open space take its place. PvE is an old thing, that feels more of a placeholder to me and others. IMO, only good things will come of this.

Thoughts?

IMHO, PvE should be discontinued, and open space resources gain a boost to take its place. Even PvP could use a higher payout, since it is much harder. Too many pilots grind for hundreds or thousands of hours/games and never play any PvP modes. Then, when they switch, their incredible build is getting whipped by more specialized PvP games.

I know most will disagree with me on this. But the fact of the matter is that this is a small game. And there are far too many things for players to do that separate and stagnate the player base beyond a reasonable threshold. Ex. Each day, think of how many game modes pull players out of traditional PvP/OS games?

If anything, PvE should be stopped and open space take its place. PvE is an old thing, that feels more of a placeholder to me and others. IMO, only good things will come of this.

Thoughts?

I think PVE should still exist; the main focus of this game is skirmish battle type (low scale fights), in wich PVE is great to since it gives a closer feel of a special operation combat…you can stay close to other players in a small group doing a secuence of multiple missions (not just a single one). However i think PVE could be much more dynamic adding more missions, reducing the time of them to complete, changing places more often, adding random posibilities (from spawn point of enemy ships to different tasks in the same PVE map, so you dont know exactly what you are facing against), etc. In games like Lineage or Tera (100% open world) the aspect of having dungeons (similar to PVE) is a plus and reduces monotony of the game.

The dreadnought demo highlighted a few questions for me:

-What are torpedos used for (except damaging the enemy dreadnought)?

-Can a dreadnought receive hull damage?

-Is there some kind of visual representation of a dreadnoughts tech level?

The dreadnought demo highlighted a few questions for me:

-What are torpedos used for (except damaging the enemy dreadnought)?

-Can a dreadnought receive hull damage?

-Is there some kind of visual representation of a dreadnoughts tech level?

-torpedos are launched from a dread to another, its only purpose is to damage the enemy dread (doesnt deal so much damage to small ships).

-yes they do, and pretty often. Whenever the shields cant hold enough damage, hull recieves that extra damage and fleet points are reduced according to the amount of damage recieved by hulls.

-No idea (ask a dev or tester), but i guess there wont be any difference, except for extra weapons and modules added. Maybe the “draw a dreadnought” contest is meant for including new models for higher tier dreads (my guess).

Do the engineer bots really press their special module twice every second? Considering that drones only spawn once every 30 seconds, I feel like there’s a better solution.

Thoughts?

I think you’ve got it completely backwards. If anything is spreading the playerbase too thin, it’s Open Space.

It has always seemed to me like Open Space was the product of someone from the publisher who doesn’t really understand games seeing that Star Conflict was a space game, Googled which space games make the most money, and then told the dev team that Star Conflict had to be more like EVE.

Open Space doesn’t work. There’s no focus on teamwork, the pace of play is slower, you have to waste a lot of time moving from location to location, and almost everything about it is at odds with how the PvP is set up.

By contrast, PvE is heavily focused on teamwork like PvP is, is fast paced like the PvP is, is instant like the PvP is, and uses the same mechanics as PvP mode. It fits. It fits perfectly, in fact, as it’s a great way to flesh out the universe without having to crowbar in a Titanfall style “campaign”.

I think you’ve got it completely backwards. If anything is spreading the playerbase too thin, it’s Open Space.

Open Space doesn’t work. There’s no focus on teamwork, the pace of play is slower, you have to waste a lot of time moving from location to location, and almost everything about it is at odds with how the PvP is set up.

I disagree. The open world aspect is - at least for me - a very high motivator to play the game with my friends. Well, not in its current state, but that’s another topic.

Fact is, the majority of gamers play alone or in small groups with their friends. And depending on how competitive people are, some prefer PvE, and some prefer PvP, many even like both and pley either depending on their mood (I’m one of them). Open World is a container that can hold both. And I can clearly see why Engle suggests replacing the current PvE mode by the new open world mode. That doesn’t mean we lose all the PvE mode content. It can be reused for the open world. And if you don’t like flying around in space, having a quick access/travel/mission interface thingy should do the job just fine.

I do agree that having the current three game modes as much separated as they are is not good. I can think of several relatively simple (cost efficient) changes that would tackle the problem, but this is probably not a good place to discuss them.