Developer Blog entry from April 23th. Travelling in new mode, poll on joystick support and other news

1. In VO you’ve some kind of ‘physics’. Meaning, if you fly in one direction and turn your ship, you’ll still drift into the direction you previously flew. Kind of like Asteroids but less annoying.

You are in the wrong. SC does have these physics. That is why turning is so slow. You can turn a ship around very fast, but changing the SPEED of the ship (speed is a vector) is another thing. This was very apparent in Freelancer where you had the kill engine option which turned this stabilization off, and you could turn anywhere really fast with still going in the same direction as before. Here it’s a forced thing, you always go in the direction you are turned, no exceptions allowed. If you think about this as a game, a game the bored rich guys play in the SC universe, it makes more sense, the physics is restricted to allow for more “fun”.

I think he meant Newtonian physics which is muted in SCon. We have dampers working on the ship artificially hence ships stopping on their own accord after letting go of WASD.

You are in the wrong. SC does have these physics.

No it doesn’t, it is impossible to “drift” even a little bit in SC. The mechanics have nothing to do with space or any physics simulation at all.

There is inertia. We can drift for a brief few seconds … but changing heading will alter direction of said drift unfortunately. 

but changing heading will alter direction of said drift unfortunately.

That’s what I meant with drift though. Your momentum does not matter, you always turn as if on rails, your movement vector is always 100% aligned with your ship’s orientation.

I think he meant Newtonian physics which is muted in SCon. We have dampers working on the ship artificially hence ships stopping on their own accord after letting go of WASD.

That’s true, though if you move not forward but sideways or up/down, there is visible thruster activity to slow you down. So we can assume it is intentional, part of the game. Makes it easier for pilots. Whatever.

No it doesn’t, it is impossible to “drift” even a little bit in SC. The mechanics have nothing to do with space or any physics simulation at all.

That is exactly what i said, the no drift part. You turn slow, because you have to modify your speed to always point in the direction your ship points. If this was turned off, you would turn much much faster. See that when you turn, your speed falls a little, this is thanks to the correcting engines at work.

That’s what I meant with drift though. Your momentum does not matter, you always turn as if on rails, your movement vector is always 100% aligned with your ship’s orientation.

No, you can use strafe to change your course and slide while turning. It is not full newtonian mode, but is a good compromise between rail mode and full newtonian mode.

Full newtonian mode all the day is a nightmare. And I already have KSP for that.

On the other hand, I have to say that the devs did a great job making all the thrusters fire when changing orientation and also when you “brake” after stopping using the strafe keys.

I agree that you still have the main thruster always active and you have cap speed but that is more for balance and gameplay issues.

This is not meant to be a sim.

Full Newtonian does not contradict fully simulated stabilizers anyway, which Citizen wants to do with their sim, or KSP simulates.

However I doubt you would do the extra calculations for that if you could just simply use one main directional vector, and correct it by direction modifying forces, and simply go down with speed once you stop adding forces by pressing buttons, by an everlasting dampening force.

Still, this solution would actually do everything neccessary for newtonian simulation in theory. It’s limit by design.

Once you have this nice simulation-explosion where u get catapulted around the world, and the dampening (I guess reverse speed) does not really affect you anymore, it should be obvious that you can in fact travel forever and rotate independantly in the physics themselves.