Damage, Crit Damage, & Crit Chance

I’m curious under what circumstances one would choose to focus on any one of these different attributes in favor of another, mathematically speaking.

As there are no “do X on crit” abilities, I cannot see any reason to do anything but raw damage, unless the choice of modules simply has no damage booster, just a crit chance modifier.

Crits are for raw damage. Some weapons have greater innate crit chance (Assault railgun, gauss, shrapnel) while some have very high crit multiplier (beam cannon, pulse laser). So if you take ship bonuses into account, you can easily increase own damage by like 60%-100% or more at old t5 with crit multiplier CPU module. Damage dealer classes can have higher crit chance either for short while (gunship) or stable (cov ops, lrf).

In most of cases 30% crit chance is enough to increase crit multiplier instead. Gauss ensure crit at full charge with that chance.

You multiply your DPS by 1 + [crit chance] * [crit bonus damage]. I actually made a spreadsheet to optimize CPU slot setup given resources available, base crit chance / damage bonus, and number of charges before shooting (for positron and gauss). Unfortunately it uses a macro and while the age of viruses hiding in spreadsheet macros is behind us, the fact that it ever happened means that I can’t share it with anybody without trying harder than I want to.

Statue’s spreadsheet is actually a wonderful tool for most ships.

The exceptions are gauss and positron cannons. For these weapons, build up to 34% crit chance. At that point, a fully charged shot will guarantee a crit. After you hit 34% chance, build your crit damage as much as possible.

For other weapons, use the formula statue stated to find the optimal crit chance to crit damage ratio. There are some exceptions to this of course, for me, I run 5% crit chance on my spark (with ions), but about 126% crit damage. I do this because Aiming Overcharge will give me 51% crit chance for a while, which will make that crit damage come in extremely handy. This specific way of flying is meant to optimize my ship for being most effective while under overdrive w/ aiming overcharge, but slightly less effective than normal when not under overdrive w/ aiming overcharge. But, for most ships in most cases, try to optimize your crit chance/damage ratio.

Statue’s spreadsheet is actually a wonderful tool for most ships.

The exceptions are gauss and positron cannons. For these weapons, build up to 34% crit chance. At that point, a fully charged shot will guarantee a crit. After you hit 34% chance, build your crit damage as much as possible.

(100/3)% is the correct value not 34% → 33.4%crit chance is already enough(I know its only a little difference, but coz of the new system and other stuff values between 33 and 34 are possible)

(100/3)% is the correct value not 34% → 33.4%crit chance is already enough(I know its only a little difference, but coz of the new system and other stuff values between 33 and 34 are possible)

I know, but 33.4% isn’t possible to achieve, with any combo of modules/implants (believe me, I’ve tried), hence why I said get at least 34. 

I know, but 33.4% isn’t possible to achieve, with any combo of modules/implants (believe me, I’ve tried), hence why I said get at least 34. 

Right closest is 33.2% or 33.6%

picture:

0mRZCty.jpg

There is a Hipster (cause everybody is so focused on 1 hit wonders) way to use Gauss, with ~50% crit chance, this build become quite awesome after last Gauss change, introducing free charge.

There is a Hipster (cause everybody is so focused on 1 hit wonders) way to use Gauss, with ~50% crit chance, this build become quite awesome after last Gauss change, introducing free charge.

True, that method is most effective on gunships from what I’ve found. Using the 34% chance and max crit damage is more for tacklers than anything. 

It’s actually 50% for positron. Test it yourself if you don’t believe me, but you can still fail to crit with a fully charged shot at base 40% crit chance.