Contest "Moon poems" — Discussion

Any genres and forms of [poems](< base_url >/index.php?/topic/27670-contest-moon-poems/) allowed.

Dear Moon,

Forgive the lateness of this letter
Which I should have written sooner

Concerning those who should know better

And their behaviour, my dear Luna.

For I have learned from forced confession

That they, without prior consent,

Assumed from you willing accession

And into space, a vessel sent.

My children, though I love them dearly,

Have poor judgement. That being the case,

I cannot fathom why they clearly

longed to stab you in the face.

They shall of course remove the flag,

And the litter they have left behind,

I assure you, they shall cease to brag,

Once they have a piece of my mind!

So again, dear Luna, I am sorry,

That my children got out of hand,

These ‘astronauts’ to make me worry,

But if you had your own, you’d understand.

Good luck to other pilots, I am not good at dis.

Good luck to other pilots, I am not good at dis.

Try my favorite one - Haiku.

I’m stuck on the moon,

Screaming out loud,

But that kinda sucks, 

Cause nobody hears me. 

• Nevidni

Making a poem for an event (getting to the moon) that was a lie…mmm…

Making a poem for an event (getting to the moon) that was a lie…mmm…

So you can make a poem with your own opinion)

There were once three men with ambition

Who wanted to go on a mission.

They decided to yolo

And to take an Apollo;

It’s a shame some consider it fiction.

If I were to win anything, please, simply make a mention of it. Then proceed to present the prize to the next in line, as I have no need for GS, and wish that it go to someone that does. Though I do not expect it as I got an D- on the poem I wrote this semester in Creative Writing. If the afore mentioned statement is not allowed, I will accept the GS. Thus, I present to you,

"One Small Step"

One step, and a cloud of dust

An ancestor stops to look at the sky

At the unreachable

Ever changing

God

An astronomer moves in his backyard

Gazing upon Earths only satellite

Wondering

Will we ever get there?

A man steps from a car

Preparing to speak of something

that would snowball

out of control

One step, and a cloud of gas

As a rocket leaves the atmosphere

And an animal inside

Finds

That there is no air

In space

But another

Holds her back from her son

and another failure.

as the remnants of

a rocket

Crash

upon the ground.

One man, and a crew of friends

Rehearse their lines

Prepare their minds

And prepare to make

History

And down below

the crowds rejoice

For there has just been

One step

And a cloud of dust

In the Future Maybe

M oon in the large galaxy

is like a small piece of sand

in water its so beutiful .

A nd what about space flights

it must be so awesome. 

Like stars in the galaxy shining

at the moon with happines.

M aybe in the future maybe.

T here will be tourist space flights

normal like when you travel in the bus.

O r you could just travel from the moon to

the moon and say i was there. 

L ive Long in Space and Prosper.                                                                               Hope you enjoyed little bit :slight_smile:

Reflecting the light that brought us Life,

A shining beaken in the midst of night

Forever there for lovers true sight,

an omen for war for many ancient Knight

For the future we seek,

to reach the furthest star

To get out of the darkness

We need to reach far

The fallen and the sacrificed lay under its light

War and Peace for our gods their delight

In remembrance of hero’s in our sky it will be

The Moon in its beauty for us all to see.

Moon Runes

Three of the men once left their home of sunshine

Accompanied by the great god of sun,

To make the first child steps of mankind into the stars

Brave, arm and soul strong, with _buzz_ing in their heart.

Sailing to find calm seas under an angel’s guide

They took precious peace with themselves in their Columbiad.

Unaware of the secrets their destination might hide

A beautiful desert was waiting there setting up a captivating sight.

Now emu steps in the dead well of rocks and dust

Telling the eternal tale of men written in the stars

How they traveled far seeking a new future

Just to look back and to find home again, the blue Earth.

1 Moon Runes. „An incomprehensible writing script” or „Any confusing foreign language…” (wiktionary.org)
2 home of sunshine. Florida, the Sunshine State, from where the Apollo 11 mission was launched, as well as the cannon shell in Jules Verne’s ‘From the Earth to The Moon’ novel.
3 god of sun. Apollo is the sun god from ancient Greek and Roman mythology.
4 child steps. A reference to Neil A. Armstrong’s famous and famously misquoted “That’s one small step for ‘a’ man, one giant leap for mankind” speech.
5 arm and soul strong. The arm and strong words are referring to mission Commander Neil Alden Armstrong himself.
6 buzzing. Astronaut Edwin Eugene Aldrin Jr. later Edwin E. “Buzz” Aldrin, Jr. “The nickname “Buzz” originated in childhood: the younger of his two elder sisters mispronounced “brother” as “buzzer”, and this was shortened to Buzz. Aldrin made it his legal first name in 1988.” (Wikipedia)
7 calm seas. Mare Tranquillitatis or the Sea of Tranquility (calm, peace) is the name of the landing site of the Lunar Landing Module. “Mare Tranquillitatis was named in 1651 by astronomers Francesco Grimaldi and Giovanni Battista Riccioli in their lunar map Almagestum novum.” (Wikipedia)
8 angel’s guide. The angel, or Michael archangel, refers to the third Apollo 11 astronaut, Michael Collins, the Command Module Pilot who “stayed in orbit around the Moon” (Wikipedia), while “Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin left in the Lunar Module to make the first manned landing on its surface.” (Wikipedia)
9 precious peace. An olive branch, the “symbol for “peaceful lunar landing by the United States”” (Wikipedia) in the Apollo 11 mission insignia, was designed by Collins. Also, “a plaque mounted on the LM Descent Stage bearing two drawings of Earth (of the Western and Eastern Hemispheres), an inscription, and signatures of the astronauts and President Nixon. The inscription read: Here men from the planet Earth first set foot upon the Moon, July 1969 A.D. We came in peace for all mankind.”(Wikipedia)
10 Columbiad. Or Columbia. “The Command Module was named Columbia after the Columbiad, the giant cannon shell “spacecraft” fired by a giant cannon (also from Florida) in Jules Verne’s 1865 novel From the Earth to the Moon.” (Wikipedia) Ironically, the three astronauts “came in peace” in a vessel named after a deadly weapon, the Columbiad, that “was a large caliber, smoothbore, muzzle-loading cannon able to fire heavy projectiles at both high and low trajectories” (Wikipedia) used in the 19th century.
11 beautiful desert. “Magnificent desolation”. The words Aldrin described the view of the surface of the moon with.
12 setting up[…] sight. The beautiful sight of the Earthrise/set seen from the surface of the Moon.
13 emu steps. EMU: Extravehicular Mobility Unit, in other word the spacesuit. Footprints of the spacesuit. In some parts of the Australian Aboriginal mythology “the sun was made by throwing an emu’s egg into the sky”. (Wikipedia) While the “Kurdaitcha man of Central Australia is said to wear sandals made of emu feathers to mask his footprints.” (Wikipedia) Also, “Many Aboriginal language groups throughout Australia have a tradition that the dark dust lanes in the Milky Way represent a giant emu in the sky.” (Wikipedia)
14 dead well of rocks. N.A. Rockwell. The manufacturer of the Command Service Module (CSM), also known as Columbia.
15 Telling […] tale. A reference to the mystery, rumors and conspiracy around the moon landings.

Hey guys! Thank you so much for your poems. It was really hard  but have chosen the[winners](< base_url >/index.php?/topic/27670-contest-moon-poems/?p=330878). Congratulations!

Woo!

Grats everyone for the great works. AaronCain’s poem was my favorite too. Thank you SC for the fun. I am glad that my “runes” were not completely incomprehensible.