[PvE - Mission] 'Blackwood' Shipyard

One question plz :

How can i know what’s the level (T1/T2/T3) of the scenario i’m playing ?

Imagine i have a fighter T2 and 2 frigates T3 and i play scenario.

Use:

/set cl_showMmQueueInfo 2

It will show you what scenario level you are eligible for when you queue. It shows there’s a small crossover where you’re eligible for two tiers, if that’s the case then you just have to guess AFAIK, sorry.

Thanks you. I will try these command.

what the problem with T3 scenarios? is there any?

I think the main problem of T3 Scenarios are a lot of people coming fresh out of T2 and attempting their luck at them, while having picked up some bad habits from earlier scenarios.

These issues apply to both scenarios:

Issue 1: Overestimating Pulsar Damage Scaling

In T1/T2 Pulsars will destroy everything but Elite Mobs.

In T3 Pulsars will destroy Interceptors, put a bit of a scratch on Fighters and not do a whole lot of anything against Frigates. That’s before Elite Mobs.

Issue 2: Torpidiots still not realizing they nuke their own team.

In T1/T2 you often can get away with the occasional hit from a less intelligent teammate.

In T3 suddenly losing all your shield without anything you can do about it, usually spells death.

Issue 3: People overestimate their defensive capabilities

In T1/T2, you can sit in a ball of npc enemies and laugh off their damage while you kill them one by one.

In T3 doing the same thing will get you killed. In general, people remain far too stationary. The AI is really bad at hitting moving targets, yet most players insist to not move.

In addition, these 3 issues lead to the exploitation of certain oddities and map design. You’ll often see folks fly to very specific spots, because for example, the Punishers Turn Ratio makes it impossible to fly in there. Or because the AI doesn’t understand how to hit a target if most of it is stuck in map geometry. Or people abusing the targeting AI of the missile launchers with fast ships (that one might be an intentional feature though). These things make it so that people still don’t need to drop their bad scenario habits and can continue as they have done before. And in T3, unless you get the right team for that, you lose. Thus T3 appears that much harder than it actually is.

The specific issues I mentioned above, all lead to problems in T3. Especially the pulsar thing. It’s a powerful tool and in the earlier scenarios it keeps the spawns in check. But it’s simply not enough in T3+. Also many people will insist it is pointless to destroy the defending ships since they’d just respawn anyways. While that is true to a degree, they will overwhelm players if not kept in check and even more importantly, it’s very easy to kill them off fast enough - if you try, so that you have an entire cycle on the missile launchers without any enemies.

Right for pulsar. In T3, its damage are too low for anything.

I think the main problem of T3 Scenarios are a lot of people coming fresh out of T2 and attempting their luck at them, while having picked up some bad habits from earlier scenarios.

<cut out>

While that is true to a degree, they will overwhelm players if not kept in check and even more importantly, it’s very easy to kill them off fast enough - if you try, so that you have an entire cycle on the missile launchers without any enemies.

Completely agree. But those map exploits allow for a bit of a learning curve in a rather difficult set of a scenarios. Unless you bring in tier 4’s these scenarios are generally quite difficult.

Right for pulsar. In T3, its damage are too low for anything.

Having 2 protection frigs with range bonus on pulsars is beautiful though.

to dEnamed

problem of T3 scenarios is that there is no T3 scenarios only T4.

And looks like this problem exists quite long. I’m tired of this staff. -_____-

== Star Conflict OBT v 0.7.7 ==

Scenarios: Sabotage

* Scenario “Sabotage” is now available for the difficulty level T3-T4.

0.7.7 was out February 21st, 2013

You are getting tired really fast my dear sir.

T3 scenarios are like any of the others. Once you have figured out how to beat them, it’s just an exercise in time -> money.

Pulsars are your friend if you fly a frigate. And if you know what places to go, you can stand virtually still for the whole battle. The AI has serious problems fighting ships that are flush with a large object (like the battleship in ‘Sabotage’). They will founder about inside pulsar range without doing much damage to you.

why do you insta die if you touch the missile launcher?

0.7.7 was out February 21st, 2013

You are getting tired really fast my dear sir.

I don’t tired of scenario but of situations when developers put visual improvements before core gameplay. Attune already existing scenario for T3 is not that time consuming, isn’t it? what is the point of different tweakings when you have a hole in gameplay?

Problem with “T3” scenario is that in course of first two tiers you get the idea that scenario allow you to get some money and good gear for your tier, but  when you hit T3 you suddenly meet not only extremely hard scenario requiring experienced group but also a fact that there is T4 reward which would be absolutely unusable for a long time. So you basicaly left with hard scenario without reward. Money is not a reward you will get em in standard combats while grinding exp.

I don’t tired of scenario but of situations when developers put visual improvements before core gameplay. Attune already existing scenario for T3 is not that time consuming, isn’t it? what is the point of different tweakings when you have a hole in gameplay?

Problem with “T3” scenario is that in course of first two tiers you get the idea that scenario allow you to get some money and good gear for your tier, but  when you hit T3 you suddenly meet not only extremely hard scenario requiring experienced group but also a fact that there is T4 reward which would be absolutely unusable for a long time. So you basicaly left with hard scenario without reward. Money is not a reward you will get em in standard combats while grinding exp.

It’s reasonable that these scenarios should be hard and completed only with good teamwork.

The only problem is the difficulty in getting T3 rewards. Everything else is good.

The scenarios are easy once you get the knack of it, but I’m in t3 for quite a while already and haven’t gotten even one t3 loot item as of yet.  Kinda depressing.

hahaha what the xxxx did you do

atm, finishing this in T2 is impossible, final wave in first round is xxxx. Fully kited T2 team and cca half of them die, the rest finish the bosses hiding among the space containers.

Second round is MOTHER OF ALL SPAM

Third is just xxxx xxxx to the wazoo.

The scenario is in such a great condition that i instantly leave the battle. Like, i don’t even bother.

Few nights ago we had a t2 gang with one T3 fighter. I was the last one standing, in T2 fighter. Took me WELL over an hour to kill the boss (and that’s only for a final boss, not the whole scenario), and ONLY because i got super good in hiding behind xxxx. Got 4k experience/whatever you get, but it was xxxx. 

What. Have. You. Done?

Edit: just to be sure, this xxxx (T3+ difficulty scenarios) happen when the whole gang is T1/T2, without any t3 ships active in hangar

btw, the other one is fine, it’s not a walk in the park anymore, but is doable with a group of people that know what they’re doing.

On the other hand, this one is xxxx unless you have a gang of green+ fitted t3 frigs

Suggestion:
Reduce the health and shields of the punisher boss by half or at least a third,  therefor increase the number of support he gest (Agents, commanders etc.)

That should be a lot less agrravating and more fun. And it provides a bit more opportunity for strategic planning, i.e having two take care of the boss without interruption and two others always swarm out and take down the boss’ support when it arrives.

The other scenario, that sabotage thing, that one’s a cakewalk, if need be to make it more difficult, again, please don’t just crank up the health of the missile launchers, but instead increase the number of enemy waves. Grinding down health from the same target over half an hour is not fun in any way or form imaginable and is somethign that bad MMO’s, WoW clones, and WoW ,whcih is a bad MMO, do.

This mission is easy as long as you’ve got a team that doesn’t go full xxxx in Phase 3. Far too often, I get teammates who sit right out in the open as the boss pulsars them to death while I scream over chat to take cover, and it’s simply not possible for a single person to solo the boss down while also avoiding/engaging his support waves within the time limit.

HINT: When you hear “Warning: Take cover” and see it flashing on your screen, it might be a good idea to seek cover.

Few nights ago we had a t2 gang with one T3 fighter. I was the last one standing, in T2 fighter. Took me WELL over an hour to kill the boss (and that’s only for a final boss, not the whole scenario), and ONLY because i got super good in hiding behind xxxx. Got 4k experience/whatever you get, but it was xxxx.

I find that unlikely since the total time limit for completing all three phases is 45 minutes.

Bring 2 engineers fully geared with Group repair mods for Tier 3 and above.

There are 2 shield and 2 hull for group repairs.  Use them.

Bring at least 1 guard if not 2, for the final battles.  Against the Punisher or Missile Launchers, I recommend 2 Guard frigates 1 with long range and 1 with short range weapons. Have them set up with 1 pulsar, 2 shield repairs, and 1 hull repair (unless they are Empire then go 2 hull and 1 shield.  Max out their resistances with Passive mods, and ship mods.  I suggest 1 Thermal and 1 EM.  You can go with 2 thermal resists since the damage from the lasers on the AI frigates is massive.  3-4 can burn an Engineer frigate down in about 5 seconds, and they don’t miss btw.  But a lot of the enemies do use the plasma and rail guns as well, they just miss a lot more thankfully.

Learning where to hide in a scenario is the key to victory.  Also learning where to aim on the Missile Launchers is key as well.  You do not have to hit them center mass to damage them.  You can shoot and hit the top of them and they cannot aim down on you then since the launch tubes would be hitting the ship directly in front of them.  A well placed, flat fighter, Interceptor or some frigates (empire or Jericho) can actually sit forward enough to hit the top of the Missile Launchers and not be hit by them.  While 2 Engineers keep them alive while they take it out.

Tips for playing an engineer: HIDE, learn where to hide on each map to keep the enemy from focusing on you.  A lot of the AI focus on the first ship they com in contact with or appears on their radar.  So if you put your self in a position that they have a very narrow window that they can attack you during their flight paths, then you are all ready ahead of the game.  Don’t forget to use your drones as well, while hiding, they do a lot of damage while your under cover still providing support for your team.

Tips for playing a Guard Frigate:  Stack your resistances in EM and Thermal. I use 1 of each, then have the ship mod for increased shield regeneration and shield resistances.  Fly out before the elites spawn in a scenario and mine where they spawn in at.  Great way to take some out of the fight before they can even become a problem (Crusader is great for this BTW).  Also learn to switch your Phase Shield at times, don’t just leave it on Thermal.

Tips for playing Long Range Frigates:  Kill the agents fast in the higher Tier Scenarios.  They carry anti missile defense systems. Shoot those down then use the guided torpedoes to kill lots of enemies.

Tips for playing a Command Fighter: Your Buffs re your greatest weapons in the scenarios.  You can hide and use long distance weapons on things just like the engineer is doing and provide a lot of group support.  The buff to shield resistances is very nice while fighting off waves of enemies.

Tips for playing Gunships: Learn when to bug out of a fight and regenerate for a few seconds.  Pays off massively, if you can dip out of a fight even for 5 seconds while an Engineer heals you.  Over Charge is killer for getting out of range of the enemies fast.

Tips for playing a Tackler:  While a lot of the Tackler Modules are not that effective in a Scenario, some may still be of use to you.  Learn which is good for them and equip them for the Scenarios.  Also Chameleon is your friend for getting away from things. Break line of sight for a second and pop that and get away while you heal up for 10 seconds means a lot more killing for you to be able to do.

Tips for Interceptors:  Learn to run away FAST and hide, then jump out and ambush things when they fly past you.  Play like a stealth/assassin class from other MMOs, while doing scenarios.  also get a frigate to provide you with extra shield and hull coverage when capping a beacon.  HIDE underneath them.  Use the as coverage so you are capturing a beacon the entire time UNINTERUPTED.  Which means the capture the beacon parts of a Scenario go extremely fast.  Speed and maneuverability is your best friend in an Interceptor use it, to weave in and out of cover when fighting the elites and commanders.

Tips for killing the punisher:  Kill the drones on his and other ships fast.  They put out a lot of DPS.  Cluster of rockets or missiles are great for this btw.  Get the attention of the Commander snipers fast.  Keep their attention focused off the Engineers at all costs.  If you can get the Snipers to move in close to where you are hiding they will not be using the disintegrators on your engineer (5 shots and the Engineer is dead and you have no heals).  Get the attention of the adds before they get to a beacon.  Also watch for 1 loan spawn that for some reason tends to get stuck down at the other end of the Dreadnaught, really bad if that is an Engineer frigate as it will continue to repair the Punisher the entire time your fighting him. 

Tips for all players in Scenarios:  Learn when to hide.  Learn to use cover and concealment.  Learn to use mine fields, but don’t get caught in their blasts of course.  Kill the sniper Frigates fast or make them get close so they are not shooting your Engineers.  DO NOT expect the team to carry you thru it if pugging, you might end up with a full team that is doing that as well.

And the most important tactic to learn for Scenarios,  TALK for the love of Loot. If asked a question during ship selection answer it.  When asked who’s running an Engineer speak up with yes or no at least.  Then you don’t end up in a match with no Engineers.

Ok now I’m off to go farm some PvE and get more T4 modules to sell, so I can try to get my T4 ship one of these days.  Great thing is I’ve all ready got enough to nicely equip a Guard and Engineer Frigate once I can actually afford them.  Just with they gave Loot from all tiers.  Or at least gear for the Tier of the highest Rank ship you brought with you.

/edit damn Typos.

nice writeup mate

now, you need a group of people that know what they do, that actually respond when talked to in chat, and that actually want to take some roles instead of just taking that gold frig or fighter.

Often, t4 pilots plow through this, often they just run around like xxxx.

Serious question: why do people even consider taking interceptors? DPS is pathetic, and they are paper thin… so what’s the deal?

Serious question: why do people even consider taking interceptors? DPS is pathetic, and they are paper thin… so what’s the deal?

Exactly. There’s no good reason to have one. PvE is all about survivability and DPS, neither of which is a strength of interceptors.

Speed is almost entirely irrelevant.