How to Play More Intelligently as an Engineering Frigate

Yea, my bad on this one, reading too fast is a bad thing.

Armadillo and Gigas all the way, those numbers aren’t everything. 

Not just that, either.

Pilot skill is what matters. In EVERY. SINGLE. SHIP. If you don’t know your ship, you’re doomed to failure, no matter the fit, no matter the implants, no matter the team mates.

1385137407-supbro.png

Hi.

xxxx guards

xxxx guards

I still laugh at the fact that My Tor can’t even reach the hp of my Crus-S…

I still laugh at the fact that My Tor can’t even reach the hp of my Crus-S…

maybe those +10 resists to shield are more than the diference between their ranks

maybe those +10 resists to shield are more than the diference between their ranks

Except that’s not even true, those +10 to resists are bugged.

Not anymore Ory, this has been corrected in the last patch.

@Resi : I’m sure you prefer when I offer you kills with my ecm xD

they fixed them

Not anymore Ory, this has been corrected in the last patch.

@Resi : I’m sure you prefer when I offer you kills with my ecm xD

Ah, I see.

1385137407-supbro.png

Hi.

I now this is offtopic but I bet you 5€ my Minotaur will have bigger numbers.

You were comparing t3 with t4 afterall.

I now this is offtopic but I bet you 5€ my Minotaur will have bigger numbers.

You were comparing t3 with t4 afterall.

78k on my Minautor.

Great guide, well done.

And people should stop comparing Crus S and Styx together, they’re not the same thing (in terms of survivability).

Crus S has potential capabilities to heal itself about 3-4-5x times faster than an engi would heal it (additional info below), which adds a tremendous boost to survivability while active, surpassing the Styx’s. It also has the Phase Shield ability which is not at all taken in consideration ingame when you check your ship’s info. With proper builds on both ships, atm with current patch availabilities both ships can top around 70k survivability. The sweet spot however is roughly 65k for both of them. If you’re going max survivability and completely ignoring meta and other tactical facts you’re doing it wrong. So basically the Crus S in this manner would probably sit around 75-80k survivability with healing module on and to probably 100k using the Phase Shield efficiently in addition, maybe more.

The additional info i was talking about is… dunno how to call it, so i’ll just say ‘style of tanking’. The Crus relies on burst tank (the healing module is on for a limited time and phase shield can reach dead end spots because of lack of energy to switch resistances or focused by multiple damage types) while the Styx relies on a continuous tank (perma-active auras, considering they are turned on ofc).

In a 1v1 straight combat between equally experienced / skilled / fitted pilots, the Crus has the higher cards because of the massive burst. When the burst is out the Styx probably surpasses it (don’t forget the set phase shield against his weapons which is what i mean by ‘probably’, it’s not sure, i didn’t test it properly, but i definitely killed many many Styxes coming my way in my Crus). Also don’t forget the Crus is supposed to be the area denial ship, guarding ship or gunship, while the Styx is the support or utility ship and even gunship as well, but it has it’s limitations because some of it’s abilities rely on it’s drones that can be destroyed, putting it at a disadvantage.

this.

p.s. static barrier can be negated by strafing a little

78k on my Minautor.

Ill get more xD

Armadillo is a very attractive choice, but I don’t want my hull resistances to drop further ><

Great little guide.

Can someone fact-check this to help me make it more current?  I am doing a large revision of this post.

Can someone fact-check this to help me make it more current?  I am doing a large revision of this post.

For starters, you can write a brief something about Team Battle in the This is NOT CoD in Spess section. That’s about the single game mode that lives ONLY on kills.

You could discuss and research if Armadillo is still worth it. Also weapons, I think that the healing gun is pretty much the only weapon of choice right now. Hugging asteroids with the empire engi, squeezing in crevasses that make you hard to hit and force your attacker in a position that makes him an easy target (no space to rotate around the engi) while healing yourself with the gun extending your survival; things like that. Look what ESB was doing in the tournament, that was some great engineering piloting right there.

You could discuss and research if Armadillo is still worth it. 

I would have done it if I could still do math. I stayed with it for a while after the nerf, then switched to J1, but I don’t really see a lot of difference since I don’t take that much explosion and crit damage. 

ask Bluesea he has some tricks up his sleeve for engis. nice guide tho  :good: