How to Play More Intelligently as an Engineering Frigate

Well, the short range problems that come with the Positron Cannon, are easily solved with a beautiful EM Torpedo to the face of whoever dares to approach you… Or Octopus in case you can’t aim an unguided missile.

Great job on the guide!  Maybe if we ever get a guide section on these forums this can be sticky’d.

Kind sir …would you be so nice to show how you got your Styx Surviability up over 60K  ?    :what:       Thats more then some T3 Guards

I can get a Styx higher than a Crus S.  Neither are elite yet, but both are 6/9 synergy.  Add in the heals…

Great guide, well done.

And people should stop comparing Crus S and Styx together, they’re not the same thing (in terms of survivability).

Crus S has potential capabilities to heal itself about 3-4-5x times faster than an engi would heal it (additional info below), which adds a tremendous boost to survivability while active, surpassing the Styx’s. It also has the Phase Shield ability which is not at all taken in consideration ingame when you check your ship’s info. With proper builds on both ships, atm with current patch availabilities both ships can top around 70k survivability. The sweet spot however is roughly 65k for both of them. If you’re going max survivability and completely ignoring meta and other tactical facts you’re doing it wrong. So basically the Crus S in this manner would probably sit around 75-80k survivability with healing module on and to probably 100k using the Phase Shield efficiently in addition, maybe more.

The additional info i was talking about is… dunno how to call it, so i’ll just say ‘style of tanking’. The Crus relies on burst tank (the healing module is on for a limited time and phase shield can reach dead end spots because of lack of energy to switch resistances or focused by multiple damage types) while the Styx relies on a continuous tank (perma-active auras, considering they are turned on ofc).

In a 1v1 straight combat between equally experienced / skilled / fitted pilots, the Crus has the higher cards because of the massive burst. When the burst is out the Styx probably surpasses it (don’t forget the set phase shield against his weapons which is what i mean by ‘probably’, it’s not sure, i didn’t test it properly, but i definitely killed many many Styxes coming my way in my Crus). Also don’t forget the Crus is supposed to be the area denial ship, guarding ship or gunship, while the Styx is the support or utility ship and even gunship as well, but it has it’s limitations because some of it’s abilities rely on it’s drones that can be destroyed, putting it at a disadvantage.

Great job on the guide!  Maybe if we ever get a guide section on these forums this can be sticky’d.

I thought there was a Guides section…and I thought…we were in it already  @_@

Astraal, the Styx has one more card it can play that the crus cannot. In a burst situation it can block massive spike damage with the static barrier. Admittedly this is not optimal, but it give the Styx some burst tanking.

Great guide, well done.

And people should stop comparing Crus S and Styx together, they’re not the same thing (in terms of survivability).

Crus S has potential capabilities to heal itself about 3-4-5x times faster than an engi would heal it (additional info below), which adds a tremendous boost to survivability while active, surpassing the Styx’s. It also has the Phase Shield ability which is not at all taken in consideration ingame when you check your ship’s info. With proper builds on both ships, atm with current patch availabilities both ships can top around 70k survivability. The sweet spot however is roughly 65k for both of them. If you’re going max survivability and completely ignoring meta and other tactical facts you’re doing it wrong. So basically the Crus S in this manner would probably sit around 75-80k survivability with healing module on and to probably 100k using the Phase Shield efficiently in addition, maybe more.

The additional info i was talking about is… dunno how to call it, so i’ll just say ‘style of tanking’. The Crus relies on burst tank (the healing module is on for a limited time and phase shield can reach dead end spots because of lack of energy to switch resistances or focused by multiple damage types) while the Styx relies on a continuous tank (perma-active auras, considering they are turned on ofc).

In a 1v1 straight combat between equally experienced / skilled / fitted pilots, the Crus has the higher cards because of the massive burst. When the burst is out the Styx probably surpasses it (don’t forget the set phase shield against his weapons which is what i mean by ‘probably’, it’s not sure, i didn’t test it properly, but i definitely killed many many Styxes coming my way in my Crus). Also don’t forget the Crus is supposed to be the area denial ship, guarding ship or gunship, while the Styx is the support or utility ship and even gunship as well, but it has it’s limitations because some of it’s abilities rely on it’s drones that can be destroyed, putting it at a disadvantage.

Seeing as you’re already comparing the Crus-S to the Styx, let me continue… The Styx IS superior. Barrier + heals = no pew pew for the Crus and a lot of regen.

In a 1v1 situation, yes, the Crus is likely to just curbstomp the living bollocks out of the Styx several times over before the Styx even breaks the Crus’ shields.

However, with the exact same support on both sides, the Styx group will obviously win as many times as it wants, there’s no comparison, not by light years.

Best first post ever.

Kind sir …would you be so nice to show how you got your Styx Surviability up over 60K  ?    :what:       Thats more then some T3 Guards

vjqBQFe.png

That’s more than T4 Guards, even…

vjqBQFe.png

You dont fool me, that´s a juggernaut not an engi frig. :what:

Your kinetic resist is too damn low!

That’s more than T4 Guards, even…

1385137407-supbro.png

Hi.

Hi.

I still stand by my statement. Those Guards STILL die far more easily than the Styx. Paper hp is one thing. On the field, it’s a whooooole new ball game…

I’m shocked that you don’t even know that.

I still stand by my statement. Those Guards STILL die far more easily than the Styx. Paper hp is one thing. On the field, it’s a whooooole new ball game…

I’m shocked that you don’t even know that.

The number of styx i’m actually destroying ingame is still the same.

You think it’s only HP :smiley: but it’s not :smiley:

Edit : We all know that Empire Frigate (and especially Engineers) always be too much tanky.

Devs will probably correct this when they will start to see 60k+ survavibility Archdragon.

Desire to achieve highest survivability value never increase efficiency output of that ship on the battlefield. Instead of what number you can achieve in a hangar, you, guys should post your battle builds that you actually do use.

The static barrier is just a temporary stalemate between the 2, as you can`t shoot either way. Ofc it puts the styx at an advantage if the crus is already running its emergency shield and because it happens at his own choice, but it isnt a complete deciding factor.

What dou you think i fly?

The number of styx i’m actually destroying ingame is still the same.

You think it’s only HP :smiley: but it’s not :smiley:

Edit : We all know that Empire Frigate (and especially Engineers) always be too much tanky.

Devs will probably correct this when they will start to see 60k+ survavibility Archdragon.

I never said hp was the only thing that mattered, where did you EVER see me say that?.. Do you even know what you’re reading, at this point?..

Armadillo and Gigas all the way, those numbers aren’t everything.