Wiki upgrade

Hello everyone!

We are planning upgrade Wikipedia a little. And we need your feedback. Let’s discuss in this thread the basic points, from the style of certain pages to the main page, and its user-friendliness.

Feel free to share your opinion!

Let’s start with the ships — the new and current versions. What do you think?

P.S. Sorry, for RU language there, I started my tests at Russian version. By the way, if someone wanna help me with the translation, I’ll be glad!

I like the new one.

Regarding the information, you have to add another field somewhere (maybe where you list all available class weapons and missiles) and list all Role modules, since the “fit” on the right side is the “mk1 base” you buy ship with, there are Role modules that are not there. I know you can see all role modules if you go into specific wiki section for roles, but since you are already listing all class weapons and class missiles (btw missing Doomsdays and Crafted Drones) including role missiles, why not list all role modules.

I personally prefer horizontal layout of passives (same way it is in the game: Engine - Capacitors - Shield - Hull - CPU), but since page is designed vertically, i doubt that will work well :).

BTW do you pull any of the data from ingame through scripts in some way or does one have to manually modify/maintain every single thing?

New version is more readable and “wikish”. Live tooltips when hovering modules and rockets with description would be very nice.

I like the new one.

Regarding the information, you have to add another field somewhere (maybe where you list all available class weapons and missiles) and list all Role modules, since the “fit” on the right side is the “mk1 base” you buy ship with, there are Role modules that are not there. I know you can see all role modules if you go into specific wiki section for roles, but since you are already listing all class weapons and class missiles (btw missing Doomsdays and Crafted Drones) including role missiles, why not list all role modules.

I personally prefer horizontal layout of passives (same way it is in the game: Engine - Capacitors - Shield - Hull - CPU), but since page is designed vertically, i doubt that will work well :).

BTW do you pull any of the data from ingame through scripts in some way or does one have to manually modify/maintain every single thing?

It’s not a fit (right), it’s default modules when you buy the ship.

Scripts, but it also has some difficulties to use.

I like the new design.

I think the most important aspect is in kostys questions, having a script pulling data from the game, and inserting it into the wiki template, has to be carefully designed. some parts might be needed to be updated regularly, so these sections should stay out of edit. while other sections can be left alone for manual editing. carefully planning out, which parts of the page contain automated information, and which contain manual information, and a nice script which can not only create the template, but also update it, is i think key.

your new style allows you quite easily to mark some of the page data to be automated, simply by deciding to make some paragraphs automated data and some manual data.

it should not need much programming knowledge to make a conversion.

what i like is, if wikis hide non-essential links and buttons in their design aswell, so the wiki does not have to look like a wiki.

but i would really concentrate on the automation part most, since it allows you to quickly adapt styles aswell, if those scripts are written in a smart way, and beauty often comes from abstract order and repeating patterns.

it might not be a bad idea to have the automated process use a third format, containing only the data itself, which then could be made public, if the direct conversion becomes too tedious. that would also allow easily to upgrade the page years later if you e.g. put in some nice ajax to pull information from the data-source, or upgrading the wiki engine and wiki templates in bulk.

I like the new design.

For general design I like how the Warframe wiki is laid out: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/WARFRAME_Wiki

A few things that I think would be useful are having a list near the bottom of the page with links to all other ships, for example (sorry warframe again): http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Weapons

there there is a list of all weapons available in a nice tidy box with tabs, so adapting it for ship class/faction would be possible.

Another thing that would make the wiki so much more useful and be a good resource is to have links to player’s builds for ships. Naturally any builds/guides provided by players would have to adhere to some sort of template/guidelines.

I like the new design.

For general design I like how the Warframe wiki is laid out: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/WARFRAME_Wiki

A few things that I think would be useful are having a list near the bottom of the page with links to all other ships, for example (sorry warframe again): http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Weapons

there there is a list of all weapons available in a nice tidy box with tabs, so adapting it for ship class/faction would be possible.

Another thing that would make the wiki so much more useful and be a good resource is to have links to player’s builds for ships. Naturally any builds/guides provided by players would have to adhere to some sort of template/guidelines.

The last one is planned. Also, I’m agree with the categories (weapon example), yes.

Gotta say, I’m really pleased with the way it is looking so far. As others have suggested, categories would be nice.  I think the biggest thing that needs to happen is just a high level of accuracy on the wiki when compared to the in-game stats.  People will use it if it’s accurate, and will not if things are wrong. Quite simple.

Still, I know that I was probably quite an annoying voice in getting the wiki updated, but I’m extremely glad to see it finally happening.  Thank you, it is certainly a move in the right direction.  Looks great so far!!!

Can we also get some concise info on dreadnoughts too, pretty please :slight_smile:

I would love either in the English wiki, but I personally like the current layout just because it’s what I’m used to.

YES! Great new layout - simplifies a lot of things, makes it look aesthetically pleasing, and makes it user-accessible. I suggest putting some quick tips in for each ship - like tips about building each ship according to its strengths (Wolf-M works really well with Singularities, Mjolnir with railguns/gauss, etc)

I also support using scripted popup tooltips for the module icons, in addition to directing the viewer to a dedicated module page upon clicking each module icon with its own stats and tips.

A new player guide would also immensely help, and would synergize well with a tutorial overhaul to get new players to learn the ropes quickly.

Can we also get some concise info on dreadnoughts too, pretty please :slight_smile:

We need all info about Dreadnoughts there, of course.

YES! Great new layout - simplifies a lot of things, makes it look aesthetically pleasing, and makes it user-accessible. I suggest putting some quick tips in for each ship - like tips about building each ship according to its strengths (Wolf-M works really well with Singularities, Mjolnir with railguns/gauss, etc)

I also support using scripted popup tooltips for the module icons, in addition to directing the viewer to a dedicated module page upon clicking each module icon with its own stats and tips.

A new player guide would also immensely help, and would synergize well with a tutorial overhaul to get new players to learn the ropes quickly.

Tips and guides are also planned.

Another fan of the new version. I hope the English Wiki gets this soon!

Another fan of the new version. I hope the English Wiki gets this soon!

You may help, if you want :slight_smile:

Last time I tried to login I couldn’t. No idea why. Something about needing an authorisation.

Last time I tried to login I couldn’t. No idea why. Something about needing an authorisation.

Ok, I’ll fix it on Monday.

New wiki looks excellent! Do you need more editors?

New wiki looks excellent! Do you need more editors?

Editors are welcome. Please message Akaurl your Wiki credentials (username) so you can get the editing rights. I will also be getting back in to updating the wiki in the coming weeks.

Yeah, much better design on the new one :wink:

![:004_2:](<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/004_2.png “:004_2:”)