Purpose of PvP sectors

I'm sure this is a much debated subject not limited to Star Conflict. I don't see it posted here, at least not recently.

What is the purpose of having forced PvP sectors? I understand that some players might really enjor impromptu PvP battles in open space, but if players want to shoot each other in open space they can turn off PvE mode and shoot each other all they want in all the sectors. So what need is there for sectors where PvP is forced upon all?

Many will say "if you don't like it, don't go there". Fair enough, I suppose. But there are sometimes contracts to complete in those sectors. Further, PvE sectors are sometimes changed to PvP by a conquering corporations. When you've flow there dozens of times you go there on auto-pilot and realistically most probably won't even notice the once safe zone is dangerous. This feels like a ploy to lure the sheep in for slaughter by the wolves (one might go so far as to call them trolls, even bullies).

Maybe popular opinion holds that such things are acceptable in MMO, and some even do this in real life every weekend. I have no problem with PvP battles when it's fair, players are respectful, and conduct is sportsman like. PvP is challenging and dymanic and pushes a pilot's progress to another level, but why does it need to be imposed in open space?

• Like 1

I'm very much opposed to missions and drops in PVP zones. There should be no reason to be in a PvP area other than PvP. Including passing through, they should all be a dead ends.

Changing PvE zones into PvP zones is pretty much a jerk move in my book, it really seems to serve no purpose other than sneak attacking people who didn't notice, which, in case anyone was unclear, is only fun for the people making the attack.

PvP is great.

When you want to do it.

Making people do things they might want to do when they don't want to do it, is a great way to make them quit. There are whole stop smoking programs based on that very idea.

Of course, I fogot about drops! That module you need that you that you can only get in that sector, outside of trading for galactic standards. Another apparent lure.

16 hours ago, ScireEstMelius said:

Changing PvE zones into PvP zones is pretty much a jerk move in my book, it really seems to serve no purpose other than sneak attacking people who didn't notice, which, in case anyone was unclear, is only fun for the people making the attack.

Nicely put.