TheDarkRedFox

"Hidden" Items

I love finding things in OS that are super rare and shouldn't be there like the unidentified engine modification and the mining laser. I really feel like OS could use more of those "unlisted" items that drop extremely rarely but have a cool effect. Not like the other "unique" modules and weapons, but a whole new set of modules, weapons, trophies, and passives that can be found and have extremely unique effects for all ships.

These should only be found very rarely, and should not be displayed in the "available modules" list with normal ones. They should also not be able to be sold on the market. These should be for playing players only. Xp

The items could be references to lore, or "experimental" things, or "alien"/"cyber" items, or nearly anything that might seem like a cool unique drop. Maybe even alien "virus samples" that can be equipped in any slot on a ship to make it look like an alien. The possibilities are endless.

If you want ideas, I have like 20 ready to go. I'm just not posting them here yet because people would pay more attention to them than the actual suggestion.

Spoiler
So here's a bunch of miscellaneous ideas for super rare hidden weapons/modules/passives/etc that could be added to some super duper rare loot table for enemies in OS.

Name: Lance Missile
Type: Active Module for all ships
Function: Fires a very quick missile that the player can guide exactly like the "guided torpedo" of Jericho frigates. Shorter range. About the same cooldown. Less damage. Less explosion radius. No radiation.

Name: Hunter Energy Core
Type: Passive Capacitor Module
Lore: This crystallid energy core is still glowing. It looks like it might still work!
Function: +damage +range +projectile speed -RoF +energy regen +hull regen -shield regen -radar range

Name: Heavy Railgun
Type: Primary Weapon for all ships
Function: exactly that of the original heavy railgun

Name: Heavy Laser
Function: Exactly that of the original heavy laser

Name: Heavy Plasma
Function: Exactly that of the original heavy plasma

Name: Micro-jammer
Type: Passive CPU module
Function: Enemies that come within a VERY close range of you lose ability to use the HUD.

Name: Nanoshards
Type: Passive Hull Module
Function: Trades shield regen for hull regen.

Name: K-10
Type: Passive module for any slot
Function: Releases an extremely small drone that stays close to you and fires on nearby enemies for weak damage. Looks almost like a robot dog.

Name: Phase Shifter
Lore: I've been chasing this artifact across the hangar for the past hour. Let's hope it does what I think it does with my ship.
Function: Teleports your ship a random distance in a random direction when hit. 10 second intervals.

Name: PDT
Type: Active Module for any ship
Function: Looks like a teeny gatling on the hull. Automatically fires on nearby drones, then players. High accuracy. Low range. High RoF. Low damage to players. No barrel slow-down. Active mode allows it to fire on nearby missiles as well.

Name: TK Module
Lore: There's something growing on it...
Function: Activation fires at the crosshairs. If an object is hit, it is brought to the ship and held in front of it like a spaceball. Firing the main weapons shoots it forwards. Deactivation will drop the object.

Name: Duplicator (not the item)
Lore: "Star" what? I've never heard of it.
Function: Drops a small drone in space. Over time it will deal minor damage to nearby enemies and duplicate itself. Once it has created 16 of itself, it gathers them all together and forms an exact copy of a single allied ship on the battlefield and leaves behind one more Duplicator to repeat the process.

Name: Photonic Screwdriver
Function: Point and think. Whatever enemy object or missile is under the crosshairs is now allied to you. Also good at opening doors.

Name: Temporal Gate
Function: Deploys a small ring in front of the ship. If the ship passes through it, it instantly teleports to the destination and the gate is destroyed. Teleport brings speed to zero to avoid collision.

Name: Iridium Crossbow
Function: Seen as a little metal crossbow. Hold the trigger to charge a bolt. Click the trigger once to fire. Holding to charge will charge up one turret and save the charge for later. Only fires when clicked once. Very minor homing. Very high flight speed. High kinetic damage. High range.

Name: Sword
Lore: It's just a sword.
Function: Places a sword in front of your ship that you can swing around with the crosshairs to do damage.

Name: Better Sword
Lore: Mine's bigger.
Function: Places a large sword in front of your ship that you can swing around with the crosshairs to do damage.

Name: Excalibur
Lore: Who's king now?
Function: Places a large glowing sword in front of your ship that you can swing around with the crosshairs to do damage. Also shoots a copy of itself forwards randomly while firing

Name: Proton Whip
Lore: Particularly effective against beings from other dimensions.
Function: Launches a long glowing whip forwards that can be swung around to deal damage. Can be wrapped around ships if you're skilled enough. Wrapped ships are held in place and are dealt higher damage.

Name: Copyright Claim
Lore: We didn't see that one coming.
Function: Upon use, changes in to a random module.

Name: Laser Shark
Function: Deploys a slow drone that seeks out a random target and tries to ram them. Once the drone gets close, it fires a continuous laser forwards. If the drone impacts its target, it explodes.

Name: Hammer
Function: Places a hammer in front of the ship that you can swing around with the crosshairs to do damage. Hammer deals less damage but pushes enemies and objects around when hit.

Name: Gun
Function: Seen as a handgun crudely strapped to the ship. Fires bullets that deal damage. Not very interesting.

Name: Cannon
Lore: Someone took this joke a little too far...
Function: Seen as a cannon on the ship. Like the big loud old piratey kind. Fires fast cannonballs that explode on impact. Low RoF. High damage. High range. Moderate spread. No heating.

Name: Vulpanium Fox
Lore: Your friendly neighborhood Fox.
Function: Deploys a small orange drone to follow you around. It shoots fireballs at nearby enemies and increases your chance for rare loot to drop by 3%.

Name: Vulpanium Lens/Charges/Tipped Slugs
Type: Primary Weapon ammunition
Function: Turns all weapon flashes orange. Critical hits of any kind cause a small orange explosion.

Name: Plasma Inverter
Function: Instantly depletes the shields, then makes the user indefinitely invisible(real invisible). Also blocks the user's radar while active. Shield can regenerate while invisible at 50% rate.

Name: Wraith Drone
Function: Activation releases a small drone with no HUD signature. Can be destroyed by any damage. Drone is very agile and remote-controlled by the pilot like a guided torpedo. Reveals the location of ships and objects within a small radius of it.

Name: Bartle's Sacred Tome
Type: Artifact
Lore: Contains the secrets to Bartle's escape.
Function: One of the rarest items. Permanently grants the user a buff in battle. Once per ship, if the ship is nearly destroyed, it is made invisible for 3 seconds and teleported a great distance. Appears in the same area as DLC effects. Can be toggled off/on for ship slots in crew area.

Name: Bartle's Broken Decoder
Type: Artifact
Lore: This broken radio turns garbled noise in to voices!
Function: One of the rarest items. Permanently grants the user a buff in battle. Sensor range increases by 15%. Alien ships will sometimes tell you secrets.

Name: Biomorph Virus Sample
Type: Skin Preset
Function: Makes the selected fighter look like a Biomorph

Name: Enhanced Biomorph Virus
Function: Makes the selected frigate look like a Biomorph

Name: Crystal Sphere
Function: Makes the selected interceptor or fighter look like a Scout. (All turrets in middle.)

Name: Crystallid Ring
Function: Makes the selected frigate look like a Hunter. (All turrets in middle.)

Name: Ancients' Wrath
Function: Seen as a little yellow pyramid on the ship. Passively reduces the resistances of the nearest enemy within a small radius. Active mode fires a continuous red laser from the tip of the pyramid at a ship within line of sight of it for a short duration.

Name: Salvage Laser
Function: Fires a small laser at the crosshairs. If an enemy is hit, the laser stops and the target takes light damage over time. If the laser hits a ship wreck, it will stick to it and turn it in to a collectible resource after time.

Name: Universal Nanocontroller
Function: Improves the parameters of all other passive modules by a small amount.

Name: The Emergency Button
Function: Upon activation applies a random positive effect for a random duration. Dynamic cooldown that equals 1.5x the duration of the previous effect.

Name: Decoy Mine
Type: Secondary weapon

Function: Drops a mine that appears as a pick-up in space. (like the ones that heal hull or make you faster etc.)

• Upvote 2

Please post them, I've always liked this idea because it feels really rewarding when you find an item that you didn't know existed

39 minutes ago, evo888 said:

Please post them, I've always liked this idea because it feels really rewarding when you find an item that you didn't know existed

I'll post once I have access to a computer again. Gonna put under spoils.

A low dps, vampiric mining laser for all ships could be fun!

• Upvote 1

Added the list of random ideas.

The Photonic Screwdriver should not work on wood. That'd be just OP.

3 minutes ago, Scar6 said:

The Photonic Screwdriver should not work on wood. That'd be just OP.

Well duh. It's also ineffective against deadbolt locks. XD