TheDerpNukem

We need to talk about "Operation Monolith"

11 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about Operation Monolith?

• I liked it at release
    • I like it how it is now

So here we are again. Another topic on Monolith and how it is next to ruined - well, in my eyes at least. You see, as of 1.5.7 almost all of the Ai in Operation Monolith got a speed buff, which coupled with the seemingly increased spawn rate, increased HP from a prior update and time consuming objectives is making the mission next to intolerable with randoms as now Ariadne's Thread isn't so much on par in difficulty but may instead be easier with randoms since the only time Ariadne's becomes seemingly impossible with randoms is when you draw the short straw and literally every enemy spawn is a hijacked frigate.

However that is besides the point. On release, Operation 'Monolith' was one of the most laid back missions in Star Conflict with Ai at decent spawn rates, enemies with low HP meaning freedom of ship choice was viable and generally easier to complete objectives (in part due to the underwhelming enemies) made the mission next to impossible to fail, even with randoms. Now however we have a mission that is on par with tedium to Ariadne's, yields less and even punishes poor ship choice.

I'll dump a run from earlier today in a spoiler at the end of the post and a run from the test server (a 2 man run keep in mind) for comparison but I would like to ask what do you guys think about the difficulty ramping up again in this mission?

And yes I didn't do too particularly well in the video. I primarily wanted to see just how drastic the changes to the Ai were and may/may not have been distracted a bit.

Looks like I need to make a guide for Monolith too, but can we just take a moment to appreciate that they added a new announcer voice and how cool it is.

11 minutes ago, xXThunderFlameXx said:

Looks like I need to make a guide for Monolith too, but can we just take a moment to appreciate that they added a new announcer voice and how cool it is.

Yeah the new announcer is pretty dope.

Also for note: Fire Support got switched back to it's old difficulty too although I haven't gone in with low rank ships to see if the queue is just split again.

I don't feel like the mission is too hard to play. It does take longer, but  now it's more in line with the reward you're getting. But I didn't play it whole lot, so maybe I'm missing something.

What is annoying is when AI decides to screw you and only you in particular.

2 hours ago, TheDerpNukem said:

So here we are again. Another topic on Monolith and how it is next to ruined - well, in my eyes at least. You see, as of 1.5.7 almost all of the Ai in Operation Monolith got a speed buff, which coupled with the seemingly increased spawn rate, increased HP from a prior update and time consuming objectives is making the mission next to intolerable with randoms as now Ariadne's Thread isn't so much on par in difficulty but may instead be easier with randoms since the only time Ariadne's becomes seemingly impossible with randoms is when you draw the short straw and literally every enemy spawn is a hijacked frigate.

However that is besides the point. On release, Operation 'Monolith' was one of the most laid back missions in Star Conflict with Ai at decent spawn rates, enemies with low HP meaning freedom of ship choice was viable and generally easier to complete objectives (in part due to the underwhelming enemies) made the mission next to impossible to fail, even with randoms. Now however we have a mission that is on par with tedium to Ariadne's, yields less and even punishes poor ship choice.

I'll dump a run from earlier today in a spoiler at the end of the post and a run from the test server (a 2 man run keep in mind) for comparison but I would like to ask what do you guys think about the difficulty ramping up again in this mission?

And yes I didn't do too particularly well in the video. I primarily wanted to see just how drastic the changes to the Ai were and may/may not have been distracted a bit.

Reveal hidden contents

Take Waz'got with a healing gun if in doubt. Then you can win even with random/no clue player and two bots. Heal that dock like the success of the mission would depend on this (it does). 

Wouldn't Brokk be better for raw healing? You can still use other premium engi stuff, but yeah, the ship is not that accessible.

35 minutes ago, xXThunderFlameXx said:

Wouldn't Brokk be better for raw healing? You can still use other premium engi stuff, but yeah, the ship is not that accessible.

The problem with engineers in monolith is that the damned coordinators have that damned recon module that reduces regeneration rate within a sizeable aura, so typically I don't bother trying since stuns remove your drones and coordinators nullify your auras.

Well I think that it beats Ariadne's Thread level of insanity now. Beacon capture in Monolith is impossible now in solo queue. Enemy spawn rates are insane and they are much higher than before, I've just got 4 repairman and don't know how many other enemies right at the beginning. At least even fail gives ~1m credits. Ariadne at least can be soloed after beacon capture stage.

I know that it was absurd how difficult it was to fail Monolith but difficulty level now is just insane. Instead of buffing everything in enemies they could rework objectives.

Healing is pointless when you get debuffed all the time and when there's not enough firepower to deal with ~15 fast enemies attacking from all sides. Modules like commitment are pointless when enemies can just fly away ~3000 units in no time and I see that they are doing it a lot.

Well in my opinion this change was more like dice roll and we will see another changes soon.

And can we talk about how it's impossible to capture beacons. Like ever. Because the enemies are omnipresent and damage disrupts capture for ages.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, niripas said:

Take Waz'got with a healing gun if in doubt. Then you can win even with random/no clue player and two bots. Heal that dock like the success of the mission would depend on this (it does). 

Scratch that. Something changed in that map and you have to have 4 coordinated people to finish this now. LRF flying 500m/s, mobs have too much health now - capping anything is almost impossible with only 3 people. 

36 minutes ago, niripas said:

Scratch that. Something changed in that map and you have to have 4 coordinated people to finish this now. LRF flying 500m/s, mobs have too much health now - capping anything is almost impossible with only 3 people. 

Aaand welcome to why I made this topic.

Monolith is probably the worst thing that exists in gaming. It might be why people quit Star Conflict.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Dazarco said:

Monolith is probably the worst thing that exists in gaming. It might be why people quit Star Conflict.

Wat8.jpg?1315930535

3 hours ago, Dazarco said:

Monolith may require a little more effort than other missions, but even a loss gives well over 1mil credits. I'm pretty sure the rewards are actually just based on how much time you take lol.

It's just impossible to complete it if you need to capture an object.

On 8/24/2018 at 11:38 AM, niripas said:

Can the dock be healed? my eclipse launcher doesn't have any effect

Just now, BulletSpeed said:

The dock never takes more than 50% damage in my experience. It's the allied cargo ship that dies instantly once it leaves.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, BulletSpeed said:

It can and pretty fast too (tested with healing laser on Waz'got)

10 minutes ago, TheDarkRedFox said:

The dock never takes more than 50% damage in my experience. It's the allied cargo ship that dies instantly once it leaves.

Oh, it can take a lot of damage if enemy sniper will get caught in front of it.

8 minutes ago, OwnageMaster said:

Oh, it can take a lot of damage if enemy sniper will get caught in front of it.

You realize how weak they are though right? They are like an un-fitted player LRF. Pops as soon as shields are down.

33 minutes ago, TheDarkRedFox said:

You realize how weak they are though right? They are like an un-fitted player LRF. Pops as soon as shields are down.

It all depends on what's the spawn and where. Yesterday I've we lost the dock even with my full healing and battle station, later on we finished with only 2 people and dock almost intact (miniboss was a predator that I hacked with Moriarty virus, so it wasn't shooting the cargo and then my teammate killed it with his gunship)

There are several mobs that deal unusually high amounts of damage to things, the most guilty being the Hijacked Fighter, launching some sort of odd torpedo that is easily able to be dodged by agile enough craft, but does insane damage to Destroyers and the Transport Ship. This is something that seems highly out of place with a map that's seemingly designed to be like a zombie horde in space.

Not only that, but control points must be addressed, due to being swarmed by enemies perpetually. Tone down the spawns, make them easier to swat, just... Something to make capturing control points not seem like it's next to hopeless when there's always an enemy at any given time disrupting you from any angle. Maybe even allow us to capture Monolith points while under fire at a slightly slower rate than normal so it's a case of playing Holdout whenever you have to get to a control point?

• Upvote 2