betatrash

Calculate Criticals as DPS

58 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, xKostyan said:

Its not about when crit chance becomes effective its about when +dmg becomes not effective.

Do you have a real case scenario ?

44 minutes ago, Swifter43021 said:

Some builds on Sirius, SawOne - from top of my head, that will be based on a final build you aim for (weapon, ammo, implants, booster, special module, presence of a friendly command buffs (like in Sec Con/ Leagues where you could more or less rely on your team mates), capacitor mods)

Don’t have numbers, since I am at work, and unlike Milf, I cant play at work :(

@Skula1975 You know what I can see as a hurdle to implementation now, since this discussion of modules?

It would be harder to calculate crit DPS for all module effects, since you'd be lacking a base DPS value to work with, you'd have to mult/divide RPM*DPR/60, to get base DPS.

The only solution would be to provide both DPS values, with crits included as a large number to replace the current one, and a smaller number below it, or as the first additional stat, with the base DPS, from which to calculate all modules. Or even a min-max DPS stat, using crit damage value.

But for most ships, crit DPS stat matters more, since they don't possess such modules.

Or, push some button to aggregate and show all module effects combined, like pushing ALT or SHIFT to get info or compare. Then, you wouldn't have to calculate anything manually.

1 hour ago, Swifter43021 said:

Almost any EM weapon or critd build kinetic. 

Just now, OmegaFighter said:

Almost any EM weapon or critd build kinetic. 

Do you mind proving it by A + B? I'm a bit skeptical. 

1 minute ago, Swifter43021 said:

Do you mind proving it by A + B? I'm a bit skeptical. 

Well, most EM weapons come with higher critical damage. Why would I go for 10% mwp over 10% critcal chance when my crit damage is like 120%

It just pays off more on average, also that there are many more things that can boost your actual damage rather than your criticals. When I build a ship having the choice between crit chance and crit damage, I will on alpha damage mostly chose the critical damage (Gauss & Positron), on high critical damage the chance and otherwise the raw damage. It's been working for me pretty good. I guess if your critical damage is 103%, do whatever. And I say this out of experience, not math.

7 minutes ago, OmegaFighter said:

Well, most EM weapons come with higher critical damage. Why would I go for 10% mwp over 10% critcal chance when my crit damage is like 120%

It just pays off more on average, also that there are many more things that can boost your actual damage rather than your criticals. When I build a ship having the choice between crit chance and crit damage, I will on alpha damage mostly chose the critical damage (Gauss & Positron), on high critical damage the chance and otherwise the raw damage. It's been working for me pretty good. I guess if your critical damage is 103%, do whatever. And I say this out of experience, not math.

We are talking about scenarios where you have to chose +crit chance or +weapon dmg

this comes in forms of passive bonus on craft ships or CPU on Ellydium ship, i guess you could include kinetic Ammo into this, since thermal choice is more than just dmg output due to the range modifier.

Outside of these, you aren’t forced to make a choice between +dmg or +crit chance since they come from different sources and can coexist.

Exactly.

And there's quite a limited number of ship affected. Which is reduced even further due to their role or special item (like Dart quantum railguns). 

Because there's only a very limited number of ship where crit damage could be superior to weapon damage. 

It's more effective on Dart due to Quantum railguns, and the r11 damage buff. But I don't see other examples that comes into my mind. 

Taking crit over damage would only be reducing the overhaul dps a bit, for more consistency. 

But I may be wrong. So I'm curious.