CinnamonFake

'Claws Twister' Pub!

Recommended Posts

On 10.7.2017 at 3:57 PM, xKostyan said:

Would that be somehow related to a region you are playing from?

nope, i do not think so. its also not really about hardware.

 

tillo made a good point that it happens more if you are already in the match from the start, i did not think about this like that yet. i shall in future take notes about which region i am in, whether i entered in the start, and try to write it down, even if it doesnt happen.

but actually, someone who is more active than me should rather take these notes or a video. i might try to.

since i havent said anything for months, and this happens now quite for some time, it should have more time, especially if as it seems not everybody is affected

or they all just learned to ignore it like me, most of the time.

 

as said, i am puzzled, as you can even visually see it happens to everyone, when people start to crash into things right after such a microlag. I have learned to compensate.

you can of course only see it if people actually join games, and you are already in the battle. And there are times where its worse and where its better.

might also be related to total players if its some master server communication, depends on what causes the glitch (but I bet on network data bursts, or even requests; might also be asset loading - if the devs would tell about it, it might be easier to test it - of course big chance is also, they would have to determine it aswell)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, g4borg said:

nope, i do not think so. its also not really about hardware.

2

A couple of guys told me that right after they switched to SSD (client installed on an SSD) that problem disappeared completely. 

I do to play from SSD (both Win10 and SC installed on the same one but on different partitions), but it has been this way for quite some time so I can't really correlate disappearance of join in lag with switching to SSD :( but I am still playing 100% free of these join in progress lag, regardless if I started from the beginning of the game or hot joined in, and regardless of the server.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it possible that this hot join lag is caused by loading new resources that came with newly added players? Each player has up to 4 ships and players come in pairs so, potentially up to 8 ship models that are not in the match yet, plus custom paintings and stickers (which are good old textures), this could explain SSD mitigating the stutter and the fact that if you are starting from the start of the battle - you have the least amount of resources loaded, while if you join mid - game, your client will load all the resources that already got into the match?

 

I am not familiar with game development and coding, so I might have said some obviously dumb stuff and all of this is based on assumption that client does not load all of the existing resources every single match. Or is stuff like that is done via multitasking/multithreading somehow? 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, xKostyan said:

Is it possible that this hot join lag is caused by loading new resources that came with newly added players? Each player has up to 4 ships and players come in pairs so, potentially up to 8 ship models that are not in the match yet, plus custom paintings and stickers (which are good old textures), this could explain SSD mitigating the stutter and the fact that if you are starting from the start of the battle - you have the least amount of resources loaded, while if you join mid - game, your client will load all the resources that already got into the match?

 

I am not familiar with game development and coding, so I might have said some obviously dumb stuff and all of this is based on assumption that client does not load all of the existing resources every single match. Or is stuff like that is done via multitasking/multithreading somehow? 

Could be the problem, I will take a look at my disks load next time when I play SC.  If that is the case then Devs could simply fix it by preloading a few more resources (It can be that they load always the complete archive to only extract one Texture/Model which would explain that HDD's have a bigger trouble with that).

 

At least it is obvious that the game has not everything loaded all the time (game files +4Gb, Ram consumption ~1Gb)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, xKostyan said:

Is it possible that this hot join lag is caused by loading new resources that came with newly added players? Each player has up to 4 ships and players come in pairs so, potentially up to 8 ship models that are not in the match yet, plus custom paintings and stickers (which are good old textures), this could explain SSD mitigating the stutter and the fact that if you are starting from the start of the battle - you have the least amount of resources loaded, while if you join mid - game, your client will load all the resources that already got into the match?

 

I am not familiar with game development and coding, so I might have said some obviously dumb stuff and all of this is based on assumption that client does not load all of the existing resources every single match. Or is stuff like that is done via multitasking/multithreading somehow? 

 

Actually you just might be right. Maybe loading the ships textures minus the small stuff like skins etc while the game itself loads would be the best first step to test the possible solution to this issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, xKostyan said:

 

Is it possible that this hot join lag is caused by loading new resources that came with newly added players?

 

this is what i meant with "assets" loading

and it could be of course the case.

 

however if this is the case, loading them asynchronously in the background (as they still are "counting down until they spawn" so having all new assets loading immediately at once is not really needed), and making sure, asset loading does not block the main game thread should be the solution

preloading more assets isn't so smart tho; i think if ssds solve the problem its actually a good sign. then it should be solvable.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just had a quick look at my disk usage and every time I had such a stutter SC was reading from my disk for nearly the same amount of time so it is quite likely that it appears due to Asset Streaming.

 

 

And also the OpenGL renderer of this game sucks, 100% CPU usage of one core (and a 2nd core for other stuff at 10%) and 20% GPU usage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forget to mention but in the last SC Heroes update i didn't have to reinstall the game (clap)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14.7.2017 at 6:34 PM, John161 said:

I just had a quick look at my disk usage and every time I had such a stutter SC was reading from my disk for nearly the same amount of time so it is quite likely that it appears due to Asset Streaming.

 

 

And also the OpenGL renderer of this game sucks, 100% CPU usage of one core (and a 2nd core for other stuff at 10%) and 20% GPU usage.

John you are also a Linux guy, right? How do you get GPU usage stats? htop shows my 4 cores all around evenly at about 20-30% and load under 2.0 (just asking because my FPS is c. 30 in hangar, lowest settings)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the loading lags are still there.

i know the more hardcore players are, the more we tend to simply "load it over to an SSD", or learn to ignore it

but to be honest, this is a huge quality issue for the game

and one should not actually have to create a bug report, it should have been noticed by the devs themselves

or at least they should monitor the few threads like this they actually set up for ppl complaining about issues

 

btw. when did they remove the underrank bonuses? that was the single best addition in terms of balance to this game.

i never read it in the news. at least the icons are gone. are they gone?

 

oh yeah this is supposed to be claws twister, so...

another year gone by, another year of wasted potential

while i am not complaining, that we finally have some more needed mono crystal drop, rewards for being ingame looks quite desperate and pathetic btw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Come to think of it, lets liven things up hia.

 

Dreads are unstable so much it feels like you own a sector for a few minutes vs the time and effort put into teams fighting for it.

The load lag is horrible, more so than it was before but i guess ill buy a ssd faster than it gets fixed.

Voucher missions and stuff around them is perfect, please dont change it in the future, although putting vouchers back on the top tray as it was for a brief moment would be best, design-wise.

When nerfing ships like tharga into oblivion remember to lower the rank limit evo points that unlock the next branch otherwise the ships is constructed 90% of the first 2-3 branches of the tree node.

Dont inflate the time to progress in the game otherwise nobody will stay to endure the learning process combined with the grinding one.

The prices are still high minus the great thing you did with customisation and im really looking forward to customization options on some dlc ships and perhaps more options than what we have now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mobility extremes, gravity weapons and really bad server quality on the ru servers together do kinda make the games pretty much a random drift-fest.

 

not sure if you can call that "fun".

 

after a while half the team sits in lrfs and destros so they dont have to move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, g4borg said:

mobility extremes, gravity weapons and really bad server quality on the ru servers together do kinda make the games pretty much a random drift-fest.

 

not sure if you can call that "fun".

 

after a while half the team sits in lrfs and destros so they dont have to move.

You found a team of destroyers?? So lucky.. I'm missing those days where we could do some awesome duels in pvp :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, EndeavSTEEL said:

You found a team of destroyers?? So lucky.. I'm missing those days where we could do some awesome duels in pvp :(

why should a fight between two almost immobile ships be a duel? duels were covert ops chasing each other through the battlefield, while everybody else was occupied in other things.

 

destroyers can easily dominate, given you have a vacuum cleaner. you can blame the vigi.

 

but no, it was not a team of destroyers, its not just destroyers having gravity weapons. what i found was servers that slowed down insanely, players struggling to move their ships, slow motion dogfights, weapons not firing and movements where you could not be sure whether its a gravity weapon affecting you, or just pure packet loss, with a few games later basicly losing half the queue population at a time you usually would expect full games.

and no it wasnt just my isp.

 

there are just games when this happens, and it certainly makes one ragequit, and i am not easy to ragequit. or at least one starts to understand, why some stat farmers stay in SCL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meanwhile open space cant handle 4 players fighting, rockin back and forth, drones, autoaims, hardly a fight of any kind happens there lol cant aim at anything or get shot by anything that isnt AI related.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 hours ago, g4borg said:

.. what i found was servers that slowed down insanely, players struggling to move their ships, slow motion dogfights, weapons not firing and movements where you could not be sure whether its a gravity weapon affecting you, or just pure packet loss, ..

.. I am not sure, you might know this better, but can be due to uploading and testing the new game versions (open space rework)? I get this kind of lagg, packet loss not very often, though.

 

5 hours ago, g4borg said:

.. here are just games when this happens, and it certainly makes one ragequit, and i am not easy to ragequit. or at least one starts to understand, why some stat farmers stay in SCL.

That I do not understand. It might be that there are more reasons out there why players stay in SC. I mean I do not expect you to understand, why I am only playing SC - no other games, if I spend time in gaming that is to say. I have Linux and was socialized with Star wars (win95 games) -- so SC is a <natural> choice.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, avarshina said:

.. I am not sure, you might know this better, but can be due to uploading and testing the new game versions (open space rework)? I get this kind of lagg, packet loss not very often, though.

no idea whether they use the same servers, i surely hope not!

 

2 hours ago, avarshina said:

I mean I do not expect you to understand, why I am only playing SC

its not like it wasnt an exclusive game for me once too. we had thousands of players when i started, and the forum was super busy aswell.

the natural choice of course would be battlefront tho...

anyway, what i meant was that leagues have smaller game sizes, so it might be a more lag free experience.

 

its most likely infrastructural anyway, possibly they cant change that themselves. was just a rant.

its a bit sad, that altough i have +100 ping on us, its steady, while ru servers fluctuate, constantly, from 50 to 90 for me; this aint a new problem, but with gravitation weapons and recent patches, the issues seem to increase in frequency. almost feels like there are load issues / io blocks on the server.

 

...at least i hope its just that and not someone wrote a ddos over the voice channel...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, avarshina said:

its not on gnu/linux

oh, yeah, true.

 

but i doubt, you have gnu/linux if you can play games anyway ;)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

also whats with the incessant crashing? I get a lot of crashes every day, always at really inconvenient times, I would be fine-ish with crashing in the hanger, but its always in the middle of intense combat or with valuable loot in open space or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, PapyMcBites said:

also whats with the incessant crashing? I get a lot of crashes every day, always at really inconvenient times, I would be fine-ish with crashing in the hanger, but its always in the middle of intense combat or with valuable loot in open space or something.

.. there are no crashes here with me and my PC ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.