Rework aiming mechanism for projectile weapons

I would like to suggest you rework the aiming mechanism for projectile weapons for example gauss cannon and shrapnel cannon.

Since a couple of months, gauss and shrapnel do not hit their target when you are aiming perfectly in the aiming reticule, especially in t5 where everything flies a lot faster. When the target is rotating at high speed (double vernier on inti level) this is understandable, but when the target is flying in a straight line or turning slowly (fighter with one vernier) it is not normal. When I use shrapnell up close, it misses even when my mouse coincides perfectly with the aiming circle (with lockon). now this could be considered a bug, but I think it is more to do with the general programming of the aiming reticule, which uses the same one for plasma and projectile weapons.

Would it be possible to make a seperate aiming mechanism for projectile weapons, that would make them more precise when the mouse is perfectly on target? A bit like the new recon weapon works?

Also the aiming reticule without lockon that was introcduced some time ago is absolutely useless with projectile weapons. It is impossible to hit since the weapon does not "focus" and the seperate projectiles from each of the guns go all over the place. I would like to suggest that this function is toggleable since for me it is just disturbing my vision when I use this type of weapon.

• Upvote 6

+1

+1

Yep I've had the same problem since this summer....... Had to drop Gauss Cannon and Shrapnel after that patch, was just too annoying to miss when you actually "hit". :/ 

+1. Super frustrating when a beautiful Gauss shot that should've hit didn't and you pound your keyboard in rage and throw your computer out of the window.

Aim assistance should be adjusted as it works only with lock. Try disabling it and go try to hit anything.

This is not my point. I am saying it doesn't work for projectile weapons, even with lock.

You can start from throwing some videos in here of such fails

We tried a lot of shrapnel shots yesterday and are currently reviewing the video to find places where it should have hit but didn't. I'll add them to this thread. We'll do the same for gauss at some point.

+1

I've pretty much stopped using shrapnels entirely. I only use gauss on tacklers anymore, as they can slow the enemy down to make them easier to hit.

I have found that there is definitely aim assist when ships go invisible or out of range, however that seems to be turned off again when not locked on. Shooting the ship itself also seems to trigger the aim assist sometimes. Works as intended upon lock afaik.

Can we clarify more, what is wrong with Shrapnel Cannon and Gauss Cannon?

Developers don't play the game as much as we do.

there is NO aim assist for lasers, how about that?? on the other hand the ai seems to hit me even when not aiming at my ship at all. shouldnt that be fixed? kinetics have aim assist yes, but if while the target moves do you expect your bullets to curve as well to hit it? all aim assist does is to center your shots on the middle point of the ship, when you reticle is anywhere within the target circle.

screenshot_151005_231850.jpg

screenshot_151005_231909.jpg

screenshot_151005_231911.jpg

i was wondering why when i use beams and have my reticle on target it will do silly small amount of dmg. now i do: mechanics are bugged.

I think I caught it. The weirdness of projectile weapons on my gauss bear video. No I m not trying to make you watch it again but had someone comment on it.

Check out:

https://youtu.be/G-N-PWzu4rw?t=146

Look at where my cursor is and where the projectile went.  If your cursor is not excatly on the target retiticle the projectile will go directly infront of your ship.  I had to watch it 3 times to be for sure.

sWQOI0i.png

Also my ping was 55.

Put 0.25 speed and review it again, you can clearly pin point when you click your LMB and when you did your aim reticle was not aligned with leading marker, so your projectile flew precisely in the direction where your aim was pointing at the moment of your LMB click (use back ground as reference)

It just so happened that you were rotating in that direction that so after couple of frames after the shot your ship rotated enough to align with projectile animation.

There is nothing weird in this particular example.

Maybe it is just a false impression that is amplified by proximity to target and by high rotation speeds.  There may be no bug at all! I have no prrof for or against, it is just my gut feeling that something was changed with gauss quite a few months ago, possibly when the mechanics were reviewed (three charges instead of two etc), that made it harder to use.