Donny is awesome in this pic. Donny got it all figured out. Y'all see.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is impossible to have "legit debates" with people like you... You just spout nonsense and give "evidence" based on a single website made by some random guy. And if all else fails, then you just res

Posted Images

you cant just put every book in the same shelf, but that's another story.

Loved this XD  Nice answer.

Yeah a lot revolves around personal opinion, so I will stop answering here :)

So anyways, here is a picture of a surprised OWL for you g4borg:

tumblr_lyjfvbhd1Y1r54g89.jpg

The Bible is just a book.  Someone or several people wrote it.  The fact that millions of people read it and believe what it suggests, does not remove the fact that it is a book like any other.  Why should I believe the Bible any more than the Quran, the Torah, or the Tripitaka?

Also have you ever tried reading the Bible in Latin?  Don't forget that until John Wycliffe, and then later Martin Luther, noone except the priests and the rich, who had learned latin, could even read it!  People relied on their local priest to "interpret" the Bible for them!  And I think many of them interpreted it rather loosely...

Have you ever read the bible in your native language?

The original "Bible" was written in Hebrew mostly. Do keep in mind it is a collection of books, that is why I put it in quotes and also reference mostly. I think some of it was written in Arabic.

Religion & science have something greatly in common. They both require faith.

So read all of the science books in the world. Guess what.

Unless you try and test every test they run. Unless you dig up every bone and study it.

You are believing what they present you on

faith...

The original "Bible" was written in Hebrew mostly. Do keep in mind it is a collection of books, that is why I put it in quotes and also reference mostly. I think some of it was written in Arabic.

Greek not Arabic.

Unless you try and test every test they run. Unless you dig up every bone and study it.

faith...

This... this is... no i can't, this is too much.

2jdi9dy.jpg

• Upvote 1

There is no amount of facepalm adequate for this....

Just because you believe in some higher being, doesn't mean the rest of us have to. I'm going to straighten out a few things:

1) A BELIEF is something you personally hold to be true. Someone can believe something, while another believes the opposite. Only JUSTIFIED TRUE BELIEFS are actually true, as they have been proven and knowledge is made up of Justified True Beliefs (this is Philosophy 101).

2) A THEORY is something that has been confirmed by a majority of the scientists working on it. Therefore, the THEORY of evolution is most likely true. It is not a Justified True Belief, but it is more factual than most ordinary beliefs. It is very easy to trace back human ancestry to apes, as we share 99% of our DNA with Chimpanzees. That is no coincidence.

Anyone can have a belief, and that is their right. That does not mean that it is necessarily true, or that you can go around shoving it on people expecting something to happen or for them to "miraculously" change their beliefs.

I strongly believe that it is everyone's right to have the freedom to practice whatever religion they choose, but I also strongly believe that no one has the right to force their religion on others.

I won't even begin to delve into how the Earth was created, as that would take hours for me to write.

The problem I find with religion (Christianity in particular) isn't the fact that you believe in a God, it is that the bible is wrong about when the Earth was created. The Earth is 4.5 billion years old (this has been proven by countless scientists across the globe), not 5 or 6 thousand years old as the bible states.

Anyways, enough of this rant. All that you need to take away from this is that no one's beliefs are superior to another's.

See there's a difference between forcing religion on someone like radical islamists do and telling someone about your faith. 

The bible doesn't specifically say how old the earth is. It merely states that the earth was created in 7 days (plenty of christians disagree with me). 

DirkDecent provided a ton of information that I was thinking.

Also, you're not a evolutionary biologist so evolution may not make sense to you, however, that only means you are not knowledgeable in that field. I assume you're not a particle physicist either, which is why you don't understand how our planet came together through explosions, chemical reactions, and all other possible scientific reactions you can think of.

Just don't be saying things you have no knowledge of, like saying evolution doesn't exist, when clearly DNA is a part of our body, etc. I am not a biologist, but I know enough to know that we evolved over time through chemical reactions or something. Cells have been studied tons and tons, and they evolve, and adapt to their environment.

I believe in micro evolution, not macro evolution. 

Micro evolution is small mutations while macro is going from fish to giraffe. 

When the Bible refers to days it often symbolizes a period of time. Days could mean literal days, weeks, months, years, etc. It's up to the person to look at the concept clues and do some research. With regards to ancient prophecies a person has to do some serious number crunching. If a person takes "days" literally when it obviously isn't literally then the person is stupid.

Now regarding the scientific accuracy of the Bible. The Bible has often stated things before secular history. Isaiah 40:22 speaks of the Earth being round in shape. The book of Isaiah was written in the 8th century BC. The first secular concept was Greek and occured in the 6th century BC. The first secular proof of this was in the 3rd century when Eratosthenes measured shadows from different locations.

Another example would be found in Ecclesiastes 1:7 where it talks about the water cycle or Job 26:7 where the Bible talks about the Earth hanging in empty space suspended on nothing. The health regulations in the Mosaic Law also were ahead of Medical Science at the time speaking of quarantine and sanitation.

Efefay, many Christians believe that the earth was created over millions of years, but I believe 7 days because God said take a break on the 7th day like he did and not every million years.

@everyone, read the part about macro evolution and fossil records. I know it's long but you might learn something. 

http://www.newgeology.us/presentation32.html

I hold true to my belief that athiesm is not scientific, agnosticism is. 

See there's a difference between forcing religion on someone like radical islamists do and telling someone about your faith. 

The bible doesn't specifically say how old the earth is. It merely states that the earth was created in 7 days (plenty of christians disagree with me). 

I believe in micro evolution, not macro evolution. 

Micro evolution is small mutations while macro is going from fish to giraffe. 

Efefay, many Christians believe that the earth was created over millions of years, but I believe 7 days because God said take a break on the 7th day like he did and not every million years.

@everyone, read the part about macro evolution and fossil records. I know it's long but you might learn something. 

?!"§$%&/()=?`§$%&/()=?`!"§$%&/()=?`§"$%&/()=?!"§$%&/()=?`"§$%&/()=?`"§$%&/()=!"§$%&/()=!"§$%&/()=!"§$%&/()="!§$%&/()=

but I believe 7 days because God said take a break on the 7th day like he did and not every million years.

7 days hm? but then there is this very early mentioning of the relativity theory:

Psalm90,4. - "For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday. "

2Peter3,8 - "One day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day"

it should not change anything anyway, because it is really not relevant to the rest of the book.

maybe that's why the majority of christianity does not really care. It won't change the faith itself, it's just a nice discussion where everyone is entitled to an opinion. who knows, maybe nobody knows.

i am still laughing at that bear.

Yes, there is a difference. However, it quickly becomes annoying, especially after people tell you to stop blabbering on about it.

The bible never specifically states how old the Earth is, but it does reference how old it is through the timeline progression of several stories. From Adam to Abraham was about 2000 years separation, and Abraham existed about 4000 years ago. The 5 days before Adam's creation are negligible in this scope, so it can be deduced that the bible states that the Earth is about 6000 years old.

This is one source fighting against many. Far more scientists have confirmed that Darwin's Theory of Evolution is correct. The Theory of Evolution (and many studies of human and ape DNA), have come to show that humans have evolved over the course of about 2 billion years.

Your "belief" regarding atheism is based on misinformation. Atheism is simply the disbelief in the existence of any God/gods. Atheists can most definitely be scientific, in fact, most are (myself included). Agnosticism is the view that the truth of certain claims (whether God exists or not, or any other metaphysical claim) are unknown and probably can't be known.

Agnosticism is actually more philosophical than scientific.

• Upvote 1

faith...

Science requires the scientific method, and an open mind to every possible scenario. And Science requires the ability to be wrong in some theory to be able to, in time, learn the theory that is proven possible and right from all the measurable influences in the universe. The only faith you have to have is the faith in you next paycheck.

And just because one does have to believe the things that scientist write after they have done their homework, doesn't mean it has something to do with faith, because if you have the basic understanding of nature and its applications in this universe how they are  (THIS IS MEASURED NOT PASSED ON FROM GENERATION TO GENERATION AND STILL MEASURABLE AT ANY TIME, DATE OR YEAR) then you should be, after looking it up yourself, wich you should if you make such bold statement, convinced that this theory has been created by all the rules of science therefore the right theory; until we have better technology to calculate it even more detailled and accurate.

Just because you cant have an electron microscope in you closet doesnt mean that atoms dont exist...

Religion has nothing to do with this. Religion is a thing of time. A human thing. To some extent even measurable in the human brain.

And science is constantly working on reworking its old theorys. I don't see that happening with the overall picture of god. Or the way various religions have widespread destructive social impact. (Not talking about Islam Arctic, that is just the result of getting bombed to the stone age over and over, to some extend a nice little egg, we "civilized" people have created while protecting our wealth)

This is one source fighting against many. Far more scientists have confirmed that Darwin's Theory of Evolution is correct. The Theory of Evolution (and many studies of human and ape DNA), have come to show that humans have evolved over the course of about 2 billion years.

The majority of scientists used to all say that the earth was flat so should we listen to the majority of scientists just because they are a majority? 

No. 

That's just one example, there are others.

Science requires the scientific method, and an open mind to every possible scenario. And Science requires the ability to be wrong in some theory to be able to, in time, learn the theory that is proven possible and right from all the measurable influences in the universe. The only faith you have to have is the faith in you next paycheck.

And just because one does have to believe the things that scientist write after they have done their homework, doesn't mean it has something to do with faith, because if you have the basic understanding of nature and its applications in this universe how they are  (THIS IS MEASURED NOT PASSED ON FROM GENERATION TO GENERATION AND STILL MEASURABLE AT ANY TIME, DATE OR YEAR) then you should be, after looking it up yourself, wich you should if you make such bold statement, convinced that this theory has been created by all the rules of science therefore the right theory; until we have better technology to calculate it even more detailled and accurate.

Just because you cant have an electron microscope in you closet doesnt mean that atoms dont exist...

Religion has nothing to do with this. Religion is a thing of time. A human thing. To some extent even measurable in the human brain.

And science is constantly working on reworking its old theorys. I don't see that happening with the overall picture of god. Or the way various religions have widespread destructive social impact. (Not talking about Islam Arctic, that is just the result of getting bombed to the stone age over and over, to some extend a nice little egg, we "civilized" people have created while protecting our wealth)

That's just the thing. Science is always changing their story. would you believe a witness if it changed it's story a bunch of times?

And the reason why so many people believe evolution is that it's what they're taught in schools. It is ridiculous because both sides of the argument are not taught. 

When i run for president against hillary, ima make sure that both sides of the argument are taught or neither are taught. just so it's fair. 

Vote ArcTic! 

The majority of scientists used to all say that the earth was flat so should we listen to the majority of scientists just because they are a majority? 

No. 

That's just one example, there are others.

But there is proof..... The whole point of Proof comes from experiments showing that it works this way. And sometimes stories do change because we learn more, for example, we know gravity is there, but we can't observe gravity forces in themselves. Once we can, we will change what we know of how gravity works.

Do you even scott manley bro?

Do you even VSauce bro?

But there is proof..... The whole point of Proof comes from experiments showing that it works this way. And sometimes stories do change because we learn more, for example, we know gravity is there, but we can't observe gravity forces in themselves. Once we can, we will change what we know of how gravity works.

Do you even scott manley bro?

Do you even VSauce bro?

Show me a fish turning into a giraffe naturally and i'll believe you. Show me some dramatic change of species and i'll believe you. 

Show me a fish turning into a giraffe naturally and i'll believe you. Show me something changing species and i'll believe you. 

*Facedesk*

It doesn't just be a fish one year, then it's children become a giraffe, it takes millions of years, but it is possible. Everything lived in the ocean at one point, but eventually creatures gained the ability to go on dry land at some point, then slowly became land creatures.

• Upvote 1

*Facedesk*

It doesn't just be a fish one year, then it's children become a giraffe, it takes millions of years, but it is possible. Everything lived in the ocean at one point, but eventually creatures gained the ability to go on dry land at some point, then slowly became land creatures.

why aren't bacteria turning into lice or something?

Cuz it just don't happen. 

"it takes millions of years"

That means, we can't observe it in our lifetime, it just doesn't happen, but we have observed and experimented with bacteria becoming more immune to other chemicals that are made to remove them, that is proof they evolve. Basically, we can't observe big changes in our lifetime, but DNA, and other experiments like what I mentioned prove that it is possible.

Show me a fish turning into a giraffe naturally and i'll believe you. Show me some dramatic change of species and i'll believe you. 

Show me God exists and I'll believe you. And I don't mean with a book full of words. Show me physical evidence, evidence that can be peer-reviewed, evidence that is indisputable. Oh wait, you can't.

What Semaphorism said, evolution doesn't happen overnight. Evolution happens over millions or billions of years. This Earth is 4.5 billion years old, and life has existed on the Earth for 3.5 billion years. Over that time, the first life forms (bacteria) evolved into every single species that has ever existed. 

That's where you are wrong. It does happen. Every day, every single species is evolving, but that evolution is extremely slow. There is evidence of this, found in our DNA.

One of the reasons why atheists and agnostics don't believe in God/gods is that there is no evidence. For something to exist, there must be evidence of it existing. We know gravity exists, because there is evidence of it. We know that the sun exists, because there is evidence of it. Saying you don't believe in evolution is like saying you don't believe in gravity.

evolution-is-true.jpeg?w=400&h=533

5zyb0.jpg

That means, we can't observe it in our lifetime, it just doesn't happen, but we have observed and experimented with bacteria becoming more immune to other chemicals that are made to remove them, that is proof they evolve. Basically, we can't observe big changes in our lifetime, but DNA, and other experiments like what I mentioned prove that it is possible.

Bacteria should evolve faster because of how quickly they reproduce.

Show me God exists and I'll believe you. And I don't mean with a book full of words. Show me physical evidence, evidence that can be peer-reviewed, evidence that is indisputable. Oh wait, you can't.

What Semaphorism said, evolution doesn't happen overnight. Evolution happens over millions or billions of years. This Earth is 4.5 billion years old, and life has existed on the Earth for 3.5 billion years. Over that time, the first life forms (bacteria) evolved into every single species that has ever existed. 

You would call me a liar if i told you my house and everything inside of it came together by chance. But you believe our galaxy came into being by chance? *Facepalm* 

And the big bang is stupid too.

Do you seriously believe nothing exploded into something? 

That's where you are wrong. It does happen. Every day, every single species is evolving, but that evolution is extremely slow. There is evidence of this, found in our DNA.

One of the reasons why atheists and agnostics don't believe in God/gods is that there is no evidence. For something to exist, there must be evidence of it existing. We know gravity exists, because there is evidence of it. We know that the sun exists, because there is evidence of it. Saying you don't believe in evolution is like saying you don't believe in gravity.

evolution-is-true.jpeg?w=400&h=533

5zyb0.jpg

There is no evidence for evolution. 

There's evidence of a great flood.

There's evidence that there is 1 God.  lots of tribes started out with 1 God, believed to be the God of Noah. Afterwords, they created more and fell away. 

The chances of the earth coming along by chance are astronomical. i doubt scientists can calculate it. Not to mention the chance of our galaxy coming together. 

If science is not faith to you it means one of two things. Either you have tested every scientific theory yourself, or you are unable to comprehend the suggestion. An acceptable situation to be in, truth be told I actually get angry when I start studding things I can't comprehend. Like quantum locking or quasiparticles. They defy the rules all these intelligent men were learning for us.

Faith in man or god. It is still faith by definition.

Religion has given us so much blood shed.

Seams like science has too.

Seams like these two subjects have a little more in common.