PVE is obnoxious

There's really only one way to describe Star Conflict PVE. It is obnoxious.  I'm no new gamer. I'm a 40 year old who has been into games since the 80's.  Star Conflict has the most obnoxious pve I've ever experienced.

I've done it quite a bit in Star Conflict. I've used up to T4 rank 10 and 11 frigates in there.  I'm not basing it on a few times through it.  I know the tricks to get it done. The tricks to get it done are limited and boring. There isn't much use for any ship besides engineer in there. I know about what disintegrator lrf's do in Hidden Maintenance Shop.  I've seen how gunships use particle purge to wipe out a bunch of ships (which does nothing regarding the objectives). Mainly, I know how pve doesn't get done without engineers involved.

Everyone hates spam. Spam is what Star Conflict pve is.  Spam of obnoxious amounts of ai.  Obnoxious is not a synonym for creative.

Edit Dec 5 2013:

I originally wrote this with my awareness and experience of pve being T3 and T4.  In later weeks, I experienced pve with lower rank ships. So, my knowledge of how pve works was opposite of normal: high then low instead of low then high.  I do not feel that pve below and up to rank 6 is obnoxious.  There is a huge change when it comes to rank 7 ships and Hidden Maintenance Shop and some of Blackwood Shipyard.  This topic was not specific enough.  It's too generalized, and there are many aspects of pve where this rant does not apply.  I'd try again with something more specific and less of a general rant, but I see other threads already on the topic of the rank difficulty differences in pve.

• Upvote 1

Imo all PvE in all multiplayer games is boring no matter what. The script is simple for the NPCs: 'show yourself and attack, don't do anything else'. From time to time there's the occasional 'Here, have a special ability!'

That's it. Incredibly easy to exploit. Lately i'm running all single player games on the hardest 2 modes depending on the game for the simple reason i already know what the NPC is going to do. In most MMOs it's just 'wait till it dies'.

PvP adds the diversity of free actions since it's a human brain behind who dishes out diverse ideas (ofc there's the occasional 'bot', but meh...). That's where PvP is better. But when it turns to intentional griefing, it's not fun anymore (that 'kill the same person 3 times' contract is pretty interesting... forgot who has it - or was it removed?).

Everything I played from the 80's to some time in the 2000's was pve, so I know it really does not have to suck this bad. Spamming the player with enemy ai was only one thing that happened, and it happened rarely.  There's so much more that can be done besides making modes/levels of ai spam.

The impression I get is: We're supposed to have engineer ships and that's it for pve. And our pve engineers are for the purpose of getting around 210,000 credits every time we can spend a half hour on it. And that's all pve is good for in Star Conflict.

You are right. 

But to be honest, what do you expect? the fun isnt in PVE the fun is in PvP! 

And its good that way. You are not supposed to play this as a PvE game, its only fo getting fast some Money. 

Ofc the PvP is where the fun is, but does that mean that PvE can't be fun? :(

Imo all PvE in all multiplayer games is boring no matter what.

I play Warframe, its a multiplayer PvE shooter and it's faaar from boring.

But it's still the same stuff over and over and over again eh?

More or less, but I don't play it for hours per day, so it's always funny. That's how PvE should work (imo) play a couple of times and have fun. Just 1 game is annoying here.

I play Warframe, its a multiplayer PvE shooter and it's faaar from boring.

It was suprisingly fun for a while because of the concept and the weapons but once you're fully kitted out you trivialize all content by one-shotting most enemies and 2-3 shotting most bosses, at which point it becomes fatally boring. Dropped it months ago.

Only difference with Star Conflict PVE is that it was always boring and best botted just like PVE in most games... :P (that's against the EULA of course)

As bare bones, the pve is 'ok'. But everyone is right that once you know what to do its a wash, rinse, repeat. If you dont know what to do you run around like a chicken with its head cut off and die. 

Pve can be fun. Pve should be fun. The Pve you have right now is akin to Wow 'scenarios' whitch isnt a bad thing, and could be greatly expanded on. However the focus on this game is not unique boss mechanics and encounters. the focus is PVP modes and objectives. 

I do hope someday the PvE is revisited. A campaign mode, even if repeatedly we are told no, would be a great thing for solo players. And those scenario pve missions could eventually be expanded to not only offer a diverse variety, but offer new challenges to test your maneuverability, get a sense you are actually traveling somewhere instead of sitting on a single map, and employing a proper team makeup. 

I think somewhere in the suggestions forum I suggested some PVE improvements or raids or whatever. But OP is correct that theres no reason why it cant be expanded on in the future. 

I wouldn't even play it if I could get a touch more credits on PvP, and a daily purple dot there too.

But yeah, it's pretty blah, and engineer dependant, and maybe a little bit dependant on your previous "boss fight" knowledge.  It's amazing how often you get to see people who don't understand the concept of line of sight, a lack of which renders PvE in this game more or less impossible(not that it shouldn't, if you can't duck behind a rock you probably don't deserve credits).

1. Join PVE Blackwood Shipyard match.

2. Choose T5 guard.

3. Pulsar everything.

4. Sit there bored and don't really move.

5. Profit.

You are doing it all wrong >:(

T4 blackwood is done this way:

T5 guard+engi+2x gunship. gunships and guard use their AoE mods to kill everything the moment it spawns. 

I could even go as far as fits...Meh why not :P

Engi: All heals(auras+beacons) + frigate drones so you can tank the punisher without a problem without having to evade, and can do constant DPS with the drones.

Guard: pulsar/emergency shield/shield adaptive/whatever with torps, to kill the spawns in 10 seconds.

Gunships: the AoE module/crit increase/armor adaptive/whatever.

The weapons I would use ion emitter/heavy blaster, but coil mortars+singularities might be better perhabs, especially for killing the spawns.

That is the best I could think of, but you also need competent pilots, ships alone won't help you.

• 2 months later...

Unless you're changing ship classes or switching between Fed and Jericho or Empire, you should already know how to be effective.  Different ships of the same type can have different roles, but the generics of a class can't be learned in PvE.  It helps with synergy, but not PvP.  Using custom battles with bots helps more for practicing a new role than PvE does.

Here is my proposal...

Lets take blackwood shipyard for example.

Phase 1) Loads of useless and boring spawns, with another useless and weak spawn with 1 ship that is slightly stronger at the end..... BOOOOOOOOOOOOORING.

How it could be done: Well, the objectives are not to let our beacons be neutralized. Why not do something like a bot battle, like 6 or 8 bots with not-so-dumb AI with many scripts variables instead of the swarming idiotic bots spawning?

Phase 2) They spawn 8 enemy ships and we have to survive while destroying those stations from them.]

Phase 3) make a squad of 6 with 1 of them being a "boss" and program the bots to work with the boss, like focusing on the guy that is doing most DPS while our team would have to defend and attack at the same time.

Basically, Less bots, more brains and quality of the bots.

IMPORTANT STEP = Make this mode a more rewarding since it will require more than a gram of brain to be able to do it.

I found out that instead of making the diferent versions of the PVE missions to be easy, medium and hard, they simply increased spawns and power of the enemies, but their tactics continue the same boring as always.

It's too predictable to the point of almost being automated.  What if for T4 blackwood the order of the spawn sites were randomized?  It'd at least add a little bit of change and should be trivial to implement.

PvP gives new opponents, PvE gives the old unless it's a new mission.  It can be fun when you aren't used to it or don't play it much.

The problem is, PVP any mentaly ill people can program, and it will be fun somehow exactly because of the human players. But to program PVE takes a LOT of effort and time, and lots of brains.

The dev team cant even make the pvp work nicelly and thats why their PVE is so damn boring.

The problem is, PVP any mentaly ill people can program, and it will be fun somehow exactly because of the human players. But to program PVE takes a LOT of effort and time, and lots of brains.

The dev team cant even make the pvp work nicelly and thats why their PVE is so damn boring.

yeah, that MUST be it, I see no other possible scenario here

:facepalm: