Error18512

[PvP] Combat Recon

The thing i dont like is that you are always visible. If you are cpt you cant hide from enemies, cloak dont work. on the other hand cpt can see every ship even cloaked ones.

I really like this game mode but there is a exploit I found and I don't know where to go with it so I will say it here. On the map that I think was called Destroyed Station or something like that, one of the stations has a hole that small ships can hide in that I personally think is really bad and should be fixed. It's in a L shape so once you go in people can't see you.

All maps have such spots, you just have to find them.

Think player with best dsr in team shud be cpt.

• Upvote 2

Hmm.

Not everyone likes being captain, though. (For the record, I love being captain and would spawn as a Captain an awful lot of the time if this were to be implemented.)

But given what DSR is meant to represent, on average that would provide the highest chance of said captain surviving longer, so it's not the worst idea. Then again, it will make the average match in combat recon a lot longer too - as right now some captains die pretty quickly to experienced players.

Would that be preferable? Longer "stand-off" style matches?

Just playing devil's advocate here.

Game could keep track of captain statistics and apply weightage when selecting one. It does mean over time the same few will be captain over an over but an exclusion can be put into place something arbitrary like was captain in last 10 games lower probability being selected or some such to counter that.

In the end - best suited will have a higher chance of getting selected

But TBH - it feels like something similar is already in place.

Most often than not - (from observation) it's not the case of a fail captain being selected but improper defenses [not] getting set up that let the team down.

Sure, I just love being the perma-captain to teams which don't even spawn me an engineer. :P

And while I had quite a few matches as captain where I had the highest kill count on the team, I think high DSR players may be more effective in the role of killing everything coming for the captain. I've even seen a T1 captain in a T3 battle - his first battle in the game ever - being kept alive by a good team. On the other hand, good captain with a bad team won't stand much of a chance.

I think an opt-out option would be ok. And if everyone opts out then it acts as usual and picks randomly from everyone.

• Upvote 1

Ah, I remember the time, where I was in 5 Recon matches, and EVERY TIME, I was the captian. One guy actually started calling me "CAPTIAN JP!"

I've had periods like that, but I have a decent win rate as captain.  It's so much different than the first time I was captain, my third match ever.

the game need some exclusion to captain picking like not picking a captain without all tier 3 ships in a tier 3 match

This. Because these people KNOW how to survive longer than 5secs.

Or they just spend matches in an LRF sniping and being good at hiding.  Then there's backspace heals, don't want that on a captain.

There is little to no chance of implementing a system where the 'best' captain can be chosen without having it select the same few pilots everytime and not giving opportunities to new players.

example:

simplest direct method is to give it to people with the most 'Survive as Captain' + 'Kill Captain' medal. These guys accumulated those medals from either:

1. being good at captaining / captain killing

2. have had a lot of games under his belt to collect those medals without being an exceptionally talented captain / player

you can then adjust the candidates further using other metrics but in the end - it will be the same guys over and over to the point that no one else gets the opportunity to learn the role.

Or how about a simple voting system? OR a system that requires a minimum of 100 games played to be the captain.

Or they just spend matches in an LRF sniping and being good at hiding.  Then there's backspace heals, don't want that on a captain.

. Well i dont belive you can have high dsr just playing lrf.

. Well i dont belive you can have high dsr just playing lrf.

On the contrary, it's trivially easy to have high DSR in an LRF, which is why in any given team the LRF typically have the highest DSR. In particular since the layout changes that leave ships without EB.

Dont know for you but lrf are my favorite prey.think people in lrf get killed lots of time.

Dont know for you but lrf are my favorite prey.think people in lrf get killed lots of time.

Except in capture the beacons or when they go gunship I leave them alone, waste of time going for them since they pose no risk for our objectives. And theoretically they can just backspace the moment someone gets near if they care about DSR.

I'm all for any option that picks "not me":P  The best of those would be  to allow a person to pick a single match type that they don't get.  Mine would be Combat Recon.  It's not that I mind the role, but the way the game plays out, the fearless captain of his squad, leader of his men, mentor to his group.......plays his best round as a squirming coward behind a rock.

Something that forced significant movement would be a good addition, such as a largish buff of some kind that those around the captain get.  It wouldn't really matter if it was a damage or survivability buff, so long as that it put a team around their captain at a significant advantage.  I know that right now those defending their captain already enjoy this advantage(a good captain defense already includes missile disrupting guards, healing engineers, and a command ship), but if a the captain supplied something special like that it could create a situation in which attacking the other team really required the captain to move in, otherwise your team would be going against their buffed team.  Just something that would make captains(and their teams) want the captains to converge for the fight which would make the match less of a standoff.

While having matches go a long period of time isn't necessarily a bad thing on its own, having matches go that long because half of each team is essentially a non-participant(captain or guarding captain, getting an occasional cocky interceptor kill) is pretty boring.

While having matches go a long period of time isn't necessarily a bad thing on its own, having matches go that long because half of each team is essentially a non-participant(captain or guarding captain, getting an occasional cocky interceptor kill) is pretty boring.

I routinely have the highest kill count as a captain. Spawn as an interceptor captain and you have to mobility to actively hunt for kills in addition to killing those that come for you.

I do like the idea you suggested as a separate game mode though, you just post a thread in the suggestions forum about it (even though I don't think any dev reads that sadly...)

I'll gladly be captain any day of the week. At least I can drag my entire team FORWARD, instead of way at the back of the map, like cowards.