Star Conflict Linux Related

Hi all!

— In this topic you are free to ask me / each other,  if you need help with:

• Linux/steam - Star Conflict setup

• Teamspeak on linux

• NVIDIA / AMD graphics drivers 

• sound issues

Even if you are just getting started building a system, or wanna switch to Linux. Just ask.

I’ve been using Arch, Debian, Manjaro, Mint, Ubuntu, Slackware, Gentoo and many more.

– Also you could share your setup / ideas on how to get better graphics performance, lower ping/stutter, faster loading etc.

dobbslack1.jpg

Sharing is caring!

#attached you find a compressed archive containing a simple script to disable mouse acceleration and set sensitivity to minimum

[disable_mouse_accel.sh.tar.gz](< base_url >/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=10591)

Since the newer Linux verions support my adio card(i had no sound when I tested it half a year ago and I found no easy way to fix it)I will install Ubuntu soon.(not this and next weekend coz of ICC2)

Sounds good.

Hello,

thanks for your help.
I will pin this thread so players can find it easier.

Which Linux distributions would you recommend me for playing star conflict and counter strike (PC Specs: i7 4770k/16GB Ram/AMD R9 280x)

Ahm, i use Slackware current myself with a Zen-kernel i modified slightly with a 3000 hz timer frequency… – And i prefer it because of the low latency and reaction speed. I neeed this!!

EDIT:  I don’t anymore use that kernel setup :stuck_out_tongue:

If you’re looking for an easy setup, which will also work very well i have had good Experience with  Linux Mint Xfce

http://linuxmint.com/

I have some tweak suggestions once you get a system installed.

I don’t recommend Ubuntu because i think the desktop has become weird and heavy on resources. + they give away your searches to amazon which comes preinstalled   #bloatware #violationOfPrivacy

Ahm, i use Slackware current myself with a Zen-kernel i modified slightly with a 3000 hz timer frequency… – And i prefer it because of the low latency and reaction speed. I neeed this!!

If you’re looking for an easy setup, which will also work very well i have had good Experience with Linux Mint Xfce

http://linuxmint.com/

I have some tweak suggestions once you get a system installed.

I don’t recommend Ubuntu because i think the desktop has become weird and heavy on resources. + they give away your searches to amazon which comes preinstalled   #bloatware #violationOfPrivacy

thanks i will go and install it tomorrow… oh later today

Everytime when i change my graphic cards driver from x.org to the proprietary i cant start Mint only over recovery.

And more or less as expected my microphone is not working.

I don’t recommend Ubuntu because i think the desktop has become weird and heavy on resources. + they give away your searches to amazon which comes preinstalled   #bloatware #violationOfPrivacy

You can always switch to a different/lighter DE… and get rid of the software you don’t need

mint is ubuntu-based anyway

Personally I think arch is the way to go

You can always switch to a different/lighter DE… and get rid of the software you don’t need

mint is ubuntu-based anyway

Personally I think arch is the way to go

Thats great. l too believe linux based star conflict players are quite diverse in their preferences.

@John, i’ll get back to you when im done with stuff for today and not on my phone :slight_smile: but i think , if possible, you should try switching the driver via the tool ‘additional drivers’ in the system menu, i think. Or jockey-gtk via terminal, i think. Also it might help if you tell me what graphics ‘card’ you are using please. And how familiar are you with the sound settings? Like pulseaudio

Everytime when i change my graphic cards driver from x.org to the proprietary i cant start Mint only over recovery.

And more or less as expected my microphone is not working.

John, you say you can only start mint over recovery when using proprietary driver.

Then how come in this bug report

https://forum.star-conflict.com/index.php?/topic/28626-sc-not-starting/  by Mooks42

you say that you started steam with the proprietary drivers?

John, you say you can only start mint over recovery when using proprietary driver.

Then how come in this bug report

https://forum.star-conflict.com/index.php?/topic/28626-sc-not-starting/  by Mooks42

you say that you started steam with the proprietary drivers?

i got it working more or less(was able to play cs after is started it over recovery adn pressed resume)

But when i try to start normally it ends in an black screen with an white blinking cursor

@John, i’ll get back to you when im done with stuff for today and not on my phone :slight_smile: but i think , if possible, you should try switching the driver via the tool ‘additional drivers’ in the system menu, i think. Or jockey-gtk via terminal, i think. Also it might help if you tell me what graphics ‘card’ you are using please. And how familiar are you with the sound settings? Like pulseaudio

I switched my driver with the tool “additional drivers” and after that i wasn’t able to boot  anyomre and switching back to the xorg driver helped not.

I have an AMD R9 280x.

And my Sound chips is getting recognized in Windows as S(ound)B(laster) Recon3D PCIe (and after i start Mint and go back to Windows i can’t even use my microphone there)

http://www.linux-hardware-guide.com/2014-08-16-creative-sound-blaster-recon3d-internal-sound-card-pci-express this explains a lot. I just can forget to get my soundcard working properly when it is onyl implemented unstablely.

SOUND:

Interesting about the sound driver. I see there is just no support for it yet.

I am sorry i am not skilled enough in programming to make you a driver any time soon :slight_smile:

And i know it is a small comfort, but perhaps just use the onboard sound, which is propably what you are already doing.

GRAPHICS:

If you want you could try installing the driver yourself from AMD:

It starts from 4.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/AMD

I install my Nvidia driver manually always, and it works. I have also tried the manual AMD way, which is actually easier. 

But installing this way does require using the force. 

The road to glory is filled with thorns

SOUND:

Interesting about the sound driver. I see there is just no support for it yet.

I am sorry i am not skilled enough in programming to make you a driver any time soon :slight_smile:

And i know it is a small comfort, but perhaps just use the onboard sound, which is propably what you are already doing.

GRAPHICS:

If you want you could try installing the driver yourself from AMD:

It starts from 4.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/AMD

I install my Nvidia driver manually always, and it works. I have also tried the manual AMD way, which is actually easier. 

But installing this way does require using the force. 

The road to glory is filled with thorns

This equals onboard (Recon3D is avaible as PCI-Express and as Onboard)

I think i will stay for gaming on Windows(working microphone and better AMD Driver)

I wish I could say I was a penguin, but we use Ubuntu for certain CFD programmes and I absolutely hate it. The number of times I have lost/over wrote files is crazy. And the dreaded black box with white words… I just get so lost in it all. :frowning: You can’t even ctrl+alt+dlt and task manager to kill processes!

My brain has been conditioned to think that Windows is perfect and won’t learn to use anything else :frowning:

I think i will stay for gaming on Windows(working microphone and better AMD Driver)

Well you tried :slight_smile: All that matters is that you can play the game, and are happy with your personal failure. Just kidding, happy flying :slight_smile:

I wish I could say I was a penguin, but we use Ubuntu for certain CFD programmes and I absolutely hate it. The number of times I have lost/over wrote files is crazy. And the dreaded black box with white words… I just get so lost in it all. :frowning: You can’t even ctrl+alt+dlt and task manager to kill processes!

My brain has been conditioned to think that Windows is perfect and won’t learn to use anything else :frowning:

ctrl+alt+del is a windows command. I Ctrl+Alt+F5 to get a ‘dreaded black box with white words’ to kill processes.

But i only need it if i have done something wrong. 

I see what you mean by your conditioned brain. I have been using windows since DOS.

I went from windows 7 to Ubuntu, then after hopping through various distros, landed in Slackware. Everything has been hard to learn. BUT you only have to learn it ONCE. I use Linux every day and i just use it / tweak it for fun. It feels super easy. And if i break something it’s because of myself.

Change is tuff. Learning can be fun. Everybody have different preferences. And they too can change.

Andrew ‘Bunnie’ Huang is an American hacker who’s best known for hacking the Xbox — and one of his philosophies is: “If you can’t hack what you have, you don’t own it.” -from http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2014/04/02/open-source-laptop-helps-developers-gain-freedom-hardware-experiments/

Well you tried :slight_smile: All that matters is that you can play the game, and are happy with your personal failure.

I haven’t failed; the person who writes the driver for my sound chips has failed :006j:

And i still have Mint on my Laptop(installed it 2years ago or so and never it was running always without problem(Nvidia Graphic Card(SC is running better on it then on my PC when i use the xorg driver) and supported Sound Chip)