balance of players in conquest

I am very annoyed by the pairing in conquest, and on several occasions I have had a 5 vs 1 group, it seems unfair and unbalanced

It is irksome when it’s you and four bots versus a grouped up bunch of teamspeakers.  I find it hard to believe that only 6 people are having a go at Conquest at any given moment, and even then I’d rather have them face all bot and me face all bots than get shoved into a foregone conclusion scenario like that.

To be fair, you are queuing into a game mode where exclusively grouping is a must, after a certain time if you dont get a 1v1 (if you queue as one player that is) you will get matched with whatever is available.

3 hours ago, ORCA1911 said:

To be fair, you are queuing into a game mode where exclusively grouping is a must, after a certain time if you dont get a 1v1 (if you queue as one player that is) you will get matched with whatever is available.

Sounds interesting, but I do not fully understand. Can someone explain?

The server prioritizes matching solo players against solo players? 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, etc? And wings vs wings? Are they ever mixed, solo players added to a wing as “hired” pilots? When does it count toward control of the sector, and when does it not?

Conquest mode is a mode where corporations battle each other for an influence over sectors. At the beginning this mode was supporting only wings from corporations - no single pilots allowed and it was matching wing vs wing only - so no real matchmaker there. However rewards for those battles are pretty good, so players asked for a possibility for single players to join those battles. That option was added but still matchmaker is pretty simplified for this mode - If a wing queues for a battle and there are no other wings it will seek if there are any live players in queue. If yes matchmaker will try to squeeze as many of them as possible into that battle. Sometimes it means that there will be 6 people wing on one side and squad of two plus 4 random people on the other, or wing vs 2 squads or, if there is no other possibility,  a wing vs random players. As the last resort if there are not enough live players MM will pair that wing with bots (and the battle will not even count as PvP battle in that case). 

I guess the exclusive grouping is the defending wing then? So every battle has a defending, coordinated corporate wing of a corporations better pilots? That would explain why I’ve been getting crushed as a solo player joining in.

And if the defending wing is is matched against players but not another wing, then the battle counts as PvP but does not count toward control of the sector? Maybe they can lose control to a bunch of solo players, it would raise the stakes, but then the sector would have no controlling corporation defending it anymore. It seems more appropriate to award control to challenging corporation.